IGNORED

Chemicals and fertilizers used on Golf courses?

firstcut
Note: This thread is 5702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this might be a regional or even a state by state question, but does anyone have an idea of what kind of chemicals/fertilizers, etc.. get used on golf courses these days? I've always liked the idea of living close to or on a course (at the right location), but with kids that play in the backyard I've also worried about what they could end up in contact with and how it could affect their health.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Drivers:
FT-i Draw 9* W/Grafalloy Red
Sumo2 5900 9.5* W/Grafalloy Red

Irons: A3OS 3-PW Graphite/Steel regularWedges: A3OS GW, SW, LWPutter: Rossa Monza SpiderLittle round white thing:

• Administrator
Thoughts?

Here's a thought: ask the superintendent. None of us could possibly know the specifics.

I also think superintendents are bound by law to share the list as well as tell you when things are applied. I doubt you have to worry much about your yard, though. Any amounts your yard would get would be small, and obviously supers don't like their fertilizer to run OFF the golf course, so they tend to apply it in a manner that keeps it ON the golf course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

firstcut, your concerns are valid. i'm a trustee in an environmental evolution of the game of golf known as "crolf". our big tournament is this weekend on the shores of lake champlain in vermont. its an eco-friendly game where all we do is mow and play on a course of par 3's and 4's. in the area of the green, there is a cedar stake where one can lift their golf ball and then play a croquet ball. i would like to see it be the trend not only where a course is chemical free but also not contributing to depleting an aquifer. the modern game of golf needs to embrace environmentalism. as its said "don't drink the water at the golf course" is good advice.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

This is actually an important topic. There was a guy I knew of who used to smoke a lot on the golf course. He would put his cigarette down on the green while he putted.

Well, one day, he goes to putt, and he puts his cigarette down on the green like always, and when he comes back for his cigarette, he didn't know that it got some chemicals on it (they had sprayed something recently). He took one puff and collapsed. He was rushed to the hospital and almost died and was left with permanent paralysis in his left arm.

As a cigarette smoker myself, I never ever put my cigarettes anywhere near the grass on a course. I would love to know what they use because obviously, over time, it could affect all of our healths. Anyway, that's a pretty scary story, it's true, and happened about ten years ago.

Constantine

Not to worry. Once Barry (oh yeah, Barack) is in office with a Democratic congress all of your golf courses will be treated "naturally". That is until they are plowed under to make way for Section 8 housing or to save the North American Tailless Squirrel.

Note to Jet Fan 1983: Buy some Nicoret gum...stop smoking. As an ex-smoker I can tell you the gum works. I'm now 7 years into their 6 week program. In June I told my doctor I'm going to start smoking so I can quit the gum. Seriously, give up the butts. They're bad for you and make you smell bad.

It truely is amazing how, no matter what the topic/conversation is about, someone can manage to link it to politics.

-Rich

Note: This thread is 5702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!