IGNORED

Just Checked My Mutual Funds

Ben
Note: This thread is 4800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not just patient. I'm buying and adding to it. I just wish the buy-in for the mutual fund I want wasn't so high, or I'd be able to diversify a bit more. But since it's for a Roth IRA, there's a limit to what I can contribute.

Good for you--absolutely the right way to go.

Let's just hope the government doesn't look for the traditional solution--starting a war. It took WWII to get us out of the Great Depression, and 2003 (when we invaded Iraq) was a great year in the market. Bottom line: there's nothing you can do. Either the financial world implodes and nothing--including cash and T bills--is worth anything, or we get some traction and eventually pull out of it. Stay the course.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

AAAAND the DOW is in another freefall today...only this time in the morning. Ugh...I mean its like spooky quiet here in NYC. On my way to work today, it was COMPLETELY silent on the trains...and there was a track fire which delayed me 45 minutes. It just plain sucks right now.

The weather is beautiful today though

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I wonder how many suicides there will be because of this....

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I just looked at my retirement accounts.

Oh my. I wish I hadn't.

must. forget. the. horror.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I wonder how many suicides there will be because of this....

In the local news (the actual same town I'm in) Tuesday there was a story of a dude that killed himself and family (wife and two sons) because he had lost everything he had in this market. Pretty sad.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Stick with your asset allocation and rebalance. It's a really scary thing to do, but I guarantee that in five years, you'll be bragging at parties how you bought into the market at the bottom.

Exactly!

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

As opposed to what, this? How far in advance do you think the advertisers are signed up?

3xQLTxvDkk4 [/URL]

Rats--yet again I am technically challenged to upload this sucker. You'll just have to follow the link.

Screw this--now the link doesn't even work. On youtube, search "etrade bad girl."
WITB
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

As opposed to what, this? How far in advance do you think the advertisers are signed up?

Well, I think they are both awful. But in the one I posted, the protagonist vomits after realizing he just bought a bunch of stock. Considering the current state of the market, is that really the image eTrade (a company that wants you to use them to buy stock) wants to portray? That is: buy stock + stock market dives = you too can vomit when you realize you just lost all your money! And I'm pretty sure that eTrade could have substituted another ad if someone had been paying attention.

Thanks for fixing it Harry. I'm supposed to be smart enough to figure this out...

Maybe eTrade figures they can get commissions on all the panic selling?

My current theory is that we have one of two outcomes: either this really IS the end of the world, and by the end of the month nothing will be worth anything--not cash, not Treasuries, not gold. So it won't matter what you do.

Alternative 2 is that we get some traction and some sense. Anyone who guts it out now will look like a genius in a few years (I know, I've said this all along).

So--in either scenario, staying the course isn't the wrong thing to do.
WITB

I'm wondering if it's a good time to drop $5k into a really tanked stock.

We got to be near the bottom, no?

What's in my bag:

If you don't now much about the stock market, but want to invest, advice is generally to buy mutual funds, and to buy them in stages - put a set amount in each month/week/etc. If you are eligible for a Roth IRA or other form of IRA, you can invest that $5K over a year and let it grow, tax-free, until retirement.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you've got $5K to "play with", absolutely. I wouldn't be dropping $5K you need back into the market right now. But whatever stock you plan to buy, you still need to make sure the company's "fundamentals are strong" (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Driver: FT-5 9* Neutral
3 & 5 Wood: SuperSteel
Irons: ISI Beryllium Copper
Sand Wedge: Ben Hogan piece of
Putter: White Hot

We max out our Roth conributions every year and volutarily put an additional $250 (each) a month into our 403B's.

So this about 5k out of our savings to invest in a bargain stock.

In 1996 I bought $5k of Apple Stock and sold it 4 years later for a profit of $70k.

Apple has dropped almost $100 a share since August. Wondering if it might be a good buy. Although I worry about the "Is Steve Jobs Going To Die" issue.

What's in my bag:

i would say things are looking pretty good right now, the market only lost 200 points on friday

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

i would say things are looking pretty good right now, the market only lost 200 points on friday

Only 128! But 1,000 point intra-day swings.

WITB

Note: This thread is 4800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!