IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I I want to believe this but really can't... Those numbers are just so huge. I mean maybe if he is an ex body builder who has Charles Barkley type putting yips and can't hit greens or fairways

I mean I wanna believe the distances this is referring to.

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

To be fair that's with a pretty wide dispersmemt, and obviously over swing some. Being 6'4" 245 with + 1" long clubs that really doesn't seem that crazy to me. We have already discussed how pros can hit their pw 100-160 yards easy. So amateur ( who can't find anything remotely consistent from 100 yards in, hence the handicap) who is bigger/ stronger than %99 of PGA players, not possible?

To be fair that's with a pretty wide dispersmemt, and obviously over swing some. Being 6'4" 245 with + 1" long clubs that really doesn't seem that crazy to me. We have already discussed how pros can hit their pw 100-160 yards easy. So amateur ( who can't find anything remotely consistent from 100 yards in, hence the handicap) who is bigger/ stronger than %99 of PGA players, not possible?

I see that but still I find those numbers to be very big. Maybe you are one of the few honest yardage people online but I see plenty of people who pad their numbers. I think my biggest question is why are you still an 18 handicap if you can pound it that hard

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

I see that but still I find those numbers to be very big. Maybe you are one of the few honest yardage people online but I see plenty of people who pad their numbers. I think my biggest question is why are you still an 18 handicap if you can pound it that hard

Distance isn't everything... ;-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Distance isn't everything...;-)

Absolutely if your consistently 20 yards right or left now find yourself under a tree, not have a proper line of site, you can quickly see how your playing bogey golf. Especially if I can't chip. Or if you overshoot the green easily, consistency lowers scores not power

Seriously, look at some of the smaller gals on the LPGA that don't hit driver all that far, Yet they shoot in the 60's and 70's on a regular basis. They  just take more club for a given distance, which a bunch of golfers don't do. It's like, I can hit this 8i 170 yds. no problem, in reality and depending on conditions, that 8i may only go 153 yds. they wind up short and make bogey as an example.

Driver - 285 yards

3w - 250 yards

3 iron - 220

4 iron - 205

5 iron - 195

8 iron - 185

7 iron - 170

8 iron - 160

9 iron - 150

pw - 135

56 degree - 120

60 degree - 95

10.2 index

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

http://www.golfwrx.com/62549/how-far-should-you-hit-your-golf-clubs/

http://www.golfwrx.com/64715/carry-distance-vs-swing-speed-chart/

Both these charts make it seem very accurate

That's ok my friend.. You don't need to convince us of how far you can kill that ball.  If you can on average drive it 275 - 315 then more power to you, if not then oh well :)

I have seen your swing and I bet if you can bring your self to a better impact position with your irons you are looking at another 20 yards, so I am betting you can start hitting your 7 iron 200+ yards which is good!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I have no reason to doubt your posted distances, even though your posts were the subject of much attention about a year ago :-) .

Would you believe there is someone who's 5'11" 158 pounds and out hits you on every club by 100 yards? I know a few people much smaller and thinner (like 5'7" 145 pounds) who nearly hit your stated figures.

I know I have gotten a serious ego boost playing folks from 6'3" to 6'10", and drive roughly the same distances off the tee. :-P . BTW, I'm nowhere near 315 yards.

In short, I don't think being 6'4" 245 really helps with distance as you seem to be implying, unless you happen to be named Dustin or Bubba.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have been playing 5 months and love the game. Can't get enough of it (stupid winter weather don't help)

driver - 200-220

19 Hybrid - 170

4i - 160

5i - 150

6i - 140

7i - 130

8i - 115

9i - 105

PW - 90

SW - 50

I am very jealous of most of these other distances...i'm only 29 and quite fit as well :( What's the secret lol.

I have been playing 5 months and love the game. Can't get enough of it (stupid winter weather don't help) driver - 200-220 19 Hybrid - 170 4i - 160 5i - 150 6i - 140 7i - 130 8i - 115 9i - 105 PW - 90 SW - 50 I am very jealous of most of these other distances...i'm only 29 and quite fit as well :( What's the secret lol.

The secret is that you need to multiply your distances by the internet inflation factor of 1.29 and that will instantly give you 29 yards for each 100 yards of distance.. I know my formula isn't as complicated as others on this forum, but it is a good start.. Your driver goes from 200 to 258 quickly! Or the other way is you can post your swing and people can give advice on it can be more efficient, but that's too much work the first method is just easier!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I have no reason to doubt your posted distances, even though your posts were the subject of much attention about a year ago :-) . Would you believe there is someone who's 5'11" 158 pounds and out hits you on every club by 100 yards? I know a few people much smaller and thinner (like 5'7" 145 pounds) who nearly hit your stated figures. I know I have gotten a serious ego boost playing folks from 6'3" to 6'10", and drive roughly the same distances off the tee. :-P . BTW, I'm nowhere near 315 yards. In short, I don't think being 6'4" 245 really helps with distance as you seem to be implying, unless you happen to be named Dustin or Bubba.

I think you and a lot if people are missing my point. I never said you have to be big to hit it far, ultimately clubhead speed is the biggest factor. But obviously being 6'4" with +1" long clubs is going to make my swing longer and using same relative effort produce more speed. You always hear about on the forums someone knowing some big rugby/football/ baseball etc player who can smash the ball. But that has little to do with scoring, obviously and that's why I can't think of one person on the PGA built like that. I mean they rave about how muscular and strong tiger and Gary woodland are, I've seen those guys up close at tournaments, I would say they are quick and flexible, but they both look like string beans to me ( which isn't a bad thing). There maybe a reason for that in being overly muscular might produce ( sometimes ) greater distance, but also may hinder ability to be consistent, or be able to be in a better impact position etc

I think you and a lot if people are missing my point. I never said you have to be big to hit it far, ultimately clubhead speed is the biggest factor. But obviously being 6'4" with +1" long clubs is going to make my swing longer and using same relative effort produce more speed. You always hear about on the forums someone knowing some big rugby/football/ baseball etc player who can smash the ball. But that has little to do with scoring, obviously and that's why I can't think of one person on the PGA built like that. I mean they rave about how muscular and strong tiger and Gary woodland are, I've seen those guys up close at tournaments, I would say they are quick and flexible, but they both look like string beans to me ( which isn't a bad thing). There maybe a reason for that in being overly muscular might produce ( sometimes ) greater distance, but also may hinder ability to be consistent, or be able to be in a better impact position etc

My only point is that being big does not equal able to hit 315 yards. Having really good feel has much more to do with distance than size.

That being said, I'm glad you're posting again.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Average distances are interesting but not totally relevant to scoring. Dependable carry distances are far more important than average distances. Much more interested in average carry distances. Avoid all short, green side bunkers, left or right.

Alleged, true story.  Back in the 60's a member at Champions GC asked, begged Hogan who was practicing to watch a young golfer who had aspirations for the Tour. He said the man could hit 170 yd. 7 irons, well longer than Hogan's average. Hogan resisted but eventually relented.  The young man started hitting his shots in front of Hogan, just as promised, long and straight.  Hogan said, "You have got promise but when you can learn to hit that same club accurately from 120 yds., come back."  He never did and he did not make it on Tour.

I played a lot of golf with Fred Haas.  Look him up.  A NCAA champ in college, he was USA's first Walker Cup player (amateur) who also played in the Ryder Cup (pro); and as an amateur in Memphis he stopped Byron Nelson's historic PGA win streak.  He played in the Early Masters tournaments. Freddie had the ability to hit the same club all ranges of differences. An example:I was 25 years younger: at our home club, we played a Redan par 3 - I would hit 8 to 6 iron and Freddie would hit anything between a 7 iron to a 2 iron, depending on wind and pin position, left to right or right to left. Off the tee, Fred wanted to be left for right pin positions and right for left pin positions. He could work the ball both ways, even in his 70's and 80's.

Nilcklaus instructed us on the wind.  Into a 1-club wind, he would use one more club and choke the club by 1/2", In a 2 club wind, he would go 2 clubs stronger and choke that club by 1". It's all about the math and knowing your clubs.  In irons, it's 1/2' and 3-4 degrees between clubs.

IMO

I have been playing 5 months and love the game. Can't get enough of it (stupid winter weather don't help)

driver - 200-220

19 Hybrid - 170

4i - 160

5i - 150

6i - 140

7i - 130

8i - 115

9i - 105

PW - 90

SW - 50

I am very jealous of most of these other distances...i'm only 29 and quite fit as well :( What's the secret lol.

Hitting down on the ball makes it go up.

klarkus, If they are down the middle, I bet many would trade distance for accuracy. My distances were just like yours a few months ago. You'll get longer with confidence and muscle memory.

Callaway X-Hot Driver

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 3,4,&5 Hybrids

Callaway FT I-Brid Irons and Wedges

Odyssey Two Ball Putter

11 years ago I was about a 2 HC and hit my 7i about 160. I hung the clubs up for 11 years and decided to take the game up again 3 months ago, joined a club and played about every day to give myself a crash course in getting my muscle memory back.... Lots harder than I thought.

Now I'm hitting my 7i about 140, but I don't care as long as it goes where I'm aiming / want it to. Same with my driver. I'm not hitting it as far, and unfortunately, I'm not hitting it straight AT ALL.

I will be getting a new driver and I have about 3 months to figure out what I'll get. I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting a component 360cc Ti head, and a stepless steel 130grain shaft. The goal being to get my muscle memory back, and then after I start getting my ACCURACY back, I'll move to a different heavy graphite shaft.

Bottom line it, I'd give up 20 yards to gain 10 strokes over the course of a round.

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!