IGNORED

The best advice I can give higher handicappers... Course Management

Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was originally thinking (c), but with the extra info on the hole, I'm going (b). ( I actually play some par 4s this way)

For me, downhill lie over water = ball in the water.

However, driver off the deck sounds interesting. When you do inevitably hit the water, the ball may skip across and just run up the green and into the hole

Despite that aweful shot I just hit, I'm really quite bad at this.

I think Joe could easily play to the level area short of the water and use his "good wedge game" from a flat lie better than trying to play a PW or 9I from a downhill lie. If we are talking about Augusta, being short is NOT an option as anything short of the putting surface rolls back into the water. Even landing on the green you had better control your backspin or you can easily spin it right back into the water with a full wedge or short iron. The half or 3/4 LW or SW is a nice shot if you have it in your game, because you aren't likely to spin it so much that you get into trouble here.

My vote is for B. (And that is how I would choose to play it too. I like my chances with a 1/2 gap wedge from 50 or 60 yards and a level lie. I'd certainly prefer it to a 9I from a downhill lie.... that's a recipe for a chunk and a splash.)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually lay up to 110, pull my PW, and blade it into the pond.

A +5.2 handicap? No wonder you can hit driver off the deck.

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

I'm frankly surprised no one said Driver off the deck... And if you paid attention... you would have realized that this was almost a facsimile of the 15th Hole at Augusta...

If you advise people to try that shot, please stop advising people. Especially us players who don't match your +5 HDCP. Just play with the good people and please don't tell us hackers what to do.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I was originally thinking (c), but with the extra info on the hole, I'm going (b). ( I actually play some par 4s this way)

Is this really something realistic or more of a joke? I have never heard of hitting a driver off the ground...

I am a new golfer though

Is this really something realistic or more of a joke? I have never heard of hitting a driver off the ground...

I do it occasionally.... usually when it's the only way to keep the ball low enough to get out from under the trees. But it's really not that hard if you tend to hit a high ball anyway. It's a good shot to have in your bag when playing a long par 5 into a strong wind... even for a long par 4 into that wind. But I rarely use unless necessary... in normal conditions, the 3W is still an easier shot.

Rick

I tried it once to get out from under some trees. It didn't work very well.

Despite that aweful shot I just hit, I'm really quite bad at this.

You should play to your strengths whatever they may be.

Couldn't agree more. This is the most important think about golf playing to your strengths. You hear the pros bang on about it all the time so if you are a good wedge player don't make crazy attempts at hitting that par 5 green in 2, take it easy play it close for 3 and make an easy par and give you self a shot at birdie instead of missing the green for 2 and ending up in the water and having a settle for a bogey

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

Obviously, c is a good answer... but this was meant to make you think... as I said before Joe is a good wedge player.. so he could basically hit any club he wants short of the water... but there is laying up smart and laying up dumb...

I'm frankly surprised that no-one has most humbly thanked you yet for deigning to lead this short seminar for us high handicappers. With this in mind perhaps you should adopt a more sactimonious tone for your pontificating to us plebs in future.

I'm frankly surprised

But if you plan out your strategy for each hole as carefully as he is trying to get you to do, you might be able to shave a few strokes off that 18 handicap.

There is a lot to be learned from a better than scratch player. I'll never consider myself so good that I can't accept a kernel wisdom from anyplace I can find it. Since his aim was to get people thinking about various options (not just in this scenario but in every round they play), I think that to some extent he accomplished his goal. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

Rick

I actually employed this strategy today. I was staring down a 215 yard shot to the flag with about a 180 yard carry over a nasty barranca (is there any other kind?). I pulled out the 19 deg hybrid...put it back in and hit two easy sand wedges to the green. I felt a lot more confident and while there was a *chance* I could have shaved off a stroke with a perfect shot on with the hybrid...for me...I was much more likely to dump it in the hazard or off into a trap.

I appreciated the post as it got me thinking.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

The Driver off the deck was just a joke guys come on... that's one of those shots that you'll have to come to Ithaca, to see, but that's another thread entirely...

In all honesty... you all should be proud of yourselves... most people do not employ simple strategies...

In another thread I read that 20 handicappers cannot hit the ball 300+ yards... some people can just absolutely crush the ball but have no idea where it is going... I'd venture to say... I'd rather be 260 in the fairway than 320 in the trees... the point is some of you higher handicappers can hit the ball a long way... just most of your strokes are thrown away due to poor course management and inside 100 yards...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Do high handicappers shoot high because of bad course management or an inability to execute? A lot of times...even with proper course management...I still flub up the shot

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Do high handicappers shoot high because of bad course management or an inability to execute? A lot of times...even with proper course management...I still flub up the shot

Still the use of good management that takes your other shortcomings into account

will lower your score. Anyone can chunk a pitch... it even happens to the pros (Phil Mickelson in the HSBC). Still, if you plan your strategy around your strengths and your tendencies and avoid trying the "miracle" shot, then while that occasional chunk may be frustrating, it won't be as fatal as it is if you do it after you've already taken 5 or 6 strokes just to get to that point.

Rick

[QUOTE=onthehunt526;230438]The Driver off the deck was just a joke guys come on... that's one of those shots that you'll have to come to Ithaca, to see, but that's another thread entirely...

Apologies hunter didn't see the driver comment as a joke and thought you were taking the proverbial!!!

I was a bit OTT

Maybe I am a bit sensitive about my 18

Incidentally would really appreciate advice on playing the big dog off the fairway. At the moment I play an old 13 degree 2 wood (smaller head) for long shots off a fair lie and can generally keep it in the middle traveling round 240 on a low flight but of course the extra 25 or so from the driver would always be a help.

I'm in if you start a thread on that

Awrabest Davy

Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!