IGNORED

battle royale

mirv
Note: This thread is 5644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Assuming they're all in their prime and have access to modern technology, who'd win?

• Tiger Woods
    • Jack Nicklaus
    • Ben Hogan
    • Sam Snead
    • Bobby Jones
    • Arnold Palmer
    • Byron Nelson

Well, you're wrong. I also picked Nelson, The question was about everyone being in their absolute prime, and last time I checked, Nelson is the only one who didn't lose a single tournament for almost an entire season in his.

Well you’re wrong too... I also picked Byron and here's why:

Tiger just doesn't know when to back off, sometimes you HAVE to lay up! Jack made his living being longer (and wilder) than everybody else and escaping from the ruff, you can't be THAT lucky all the time. Ben was a GREAT mind, and mechanical man (and is MY personal hero) but, lets face it, he just couldn't putt. Sam was the smoothest, but I think his short game was a tad suspect. Bobby was the greatest in a time when not may people had ANY kind of skills, I think the modern game would neutralize Bobby's advantage. Arnold is Arnold. Swash buckling and always "went for it" ala Tin Cup. Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug! But Byron... There are only two players that ever hit the ball straight (as their "default" ball flight)... Johnny Miller and Byron Nelson. Byron was so straight, he could play golf on a balance beam!!! What a man...

i went with hogan, but it was a very tough choice between hogan and tiger. hogan's only real weakness (putting) is one of tiger's greatest strengths, so i think it'd be a pretty grueling duel between those two. honestly, i can't say for certain who i think would win it, just that it'd be very, very close. i'd be rooting for hogan, though.

i went with hogan, but it was a very tough choice between hogan and tiger. hogan's only real weakness (putting) is one of tiger's greatest strengths, so i think it'd be a pretty grueling duel between those two. honestly, i can't say for certain who i think would win it, just that it'd be very, very close. i'd be rooting for hogan, though.

I think Hogan would be deflated by Tiger's putting as compared to his. But, again, I don't think it would come down to either of them in this hypothetical.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• 2 weeks later...
no one has the mental game tiger has no one will and tiger is hands down the best putter of all time

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

[QUOTE=TommyD69;231562]Well you’re wrong too... I also picked Byron and here's why:

Tiger just doesn't know when to back off, sometimes you HAVE to lay up!

Hey Tommy D-watch highlights of the 2006 British and tell me that Tiger doesn't know when to back off. With all things being equal I would say Tiger comes out on top in this battle. Wouldn't be easy but this is an all-time all star line up of golfers.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

People like to try and compare era's which with all the technology changes is nearly impossible.

But I will say this, Tiger might edge out Nicklaus or Hogan with today's modern equipment, but they would smoke Tiger with equipment from the 60's and 70's. Having played back then I can say golf was a lot tougher with balls that would side spin like crazy. Tiger would have a lot of catching up to do as far as ball striking ability with older equipment.

The golf ball manufacturers have reduced the side spin in golf balls to at least half of what it was back in the 70's. So if Tiger is just a little bit off, he's in a whole lot of bunkers, all day long.

Nicklaus could pound it out there +300 yards with small wooden clubs and untrue wound golf balls,,,What do you think Jack would do with the modern equipment in his hands at age 25-30?

Just my opinion :)

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

To me Tiger no question

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I am torn between Jack and Tiger. I have seen both play in their prime. I don't feel Jack had as consistent and varied a short game as Tiger, but I feel Jack managed his way around a course better and didn't need as many hero shots. As far as length, with modern equipment and strength training, Jack would be 10-15 yards longer than Tiger. When I first saw Jack in the middle to late 70s her could carry his driver up to 275 pretty consistently and 3 wood up to about 250. Average pros carry distances were 30 yards shorter. Comparing guys now on the senior tour, with their distance in their primes would put his carry distance between 300-315, max 325. Their putting is fairly equal, both are a little on the streaky side, but make a lot of pressure putts. I pick Jack, he would have benefitted greatly from modern wedges and hybrids.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!