IGNORED

100 yards out...what % do you hit the green?

Note: This thread is 5448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is my favorite distance. From the rough I'll hit my sand wedge, but from the fairway I'll take my 60* and really stroke it. My putting is where I struggle.

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5* Whiteboard Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19*
Irons: 4-pw Mp-32 S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 60*
Putter: Newport 2 34" 340gBall: Pro-V1 or NXT-tourShoes: Adidas Tour 360 LTD

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the distance i like to be at. I stuggle with anything 40-80 yards out, so at the end of last year i just started to lay up to 100 yards if i couldn't reach the green.

This one guy i played with was deadly from 110-90 yards. The rest of his game wasn't great but he had that one distance on lock down.

I hit about 4 out of every 5, if not better, from 100. I usually take a gap wedge a bit short of 9 o'clock instead of a full rotation. Sometimes if I need a higher shot or I'm in the fluff and I need the bounce or I want it to come back a bit, I'll hit my sand wedge without choking up on my club since I normally hit that way.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

~ 70%. This needs to be higher. If I were an intelligent golfer I wouldn't hit 53º wedges directly at tucked pins until I can hit the middle of the green every single time.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

id have to say probably 80% of the time. i always go for the pin, otherwise it would be a lot higher than that.

Haha join the club.

In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

At 100 yards I feel pretty good about throwing a 56º right at any flag. 100 yards is automatic. If I don't get a legit birdie putt after being 100 yards out I'm not happy, I feel like I've wasted a good drive.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

i'd say i hit the green 9/10 times. i am better from 40-100 yards than i am from 100+ however. they are probably both the same percentages, but the accuracy i get from within 100 is incredible sometimes.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

at about a 100 yrds out its usually just a full sw unless the pins in the back then its an easy pw. but from that distance ill most likely hit the green and not be farther than 15 ft. from the pin which isnt the distance i like but i rarely miss the green unless i just totally hit it terible and then its just a few yrds. off. but im a low handicapper so i have extremely high standards for myself!
Driver: Taylormade R9
fairway wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree
hybrid: titleist 585 17
irons: Taylormade mb tp smoke 3-pw
wedges: Titleist vokey wedgesputter:sc ss newport 2, 34"Bag: ping vantage bag(team bag)

Until some swing changes late last fall, I would be lucky to hit 50% GIR from 100 yards. With my swing changes I would expect that I can now do it with 75% efficiency or possibly a little higher (counting those balls that roll onto fringe, but not into rough). I've always been a good chipper and putter (until last year), so missing greens didn't cost me that many strokes. I hit a lot of fairways and would always be within a few yards of green, so it wasn't that big a deal, but it's a goal this year to get my GIR% to over 50%. In the fall, playing with a new swing I was hitting about 11-12 GIR, so it's at least a start.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

100 yds is a smooth gap wedge for me. If I'm not inside 15 or 20 feet of the pin, it's just not going to be a very good shot. If I missed the green, it was likely because I made a bonehead decision and hit at a pin that I shouldn't have.

Honestly though, a 100 yd shot isn't that regular of an occurrence. It would still have to be an awfully short par 4 or a long par 5 with enough trouble up front that I decided to lay back.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Depending on the shot and the conditions out on the course, i will hit anything to my 54 degree wedge to a 9 iron. If i absolutley need just to hit the green to make a par or something I will use a PW, choke down on it half inch or so, and take a aggressive half swing. Basically a "toe drill" swing. Its the lowest risk shot for me and i usually end up within 2 putt range of the pin.

If im trying to get close for a birde my 54 is a more natural 100 yard club, but because im taking a full swing the margin for error is greater. I feel like i can place a ball and stop it better with my 54 than my punch PW shot, so there is a risk/reward factor.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

3/4 gap wedge or full lob wedge depending on the wind/elevation and the trajectory I want. I don't know what the exact stat is. If the green is big and not tricky, I'd guess a little over 90%. Maybe 80% if it's narrow, or sloped strangely. I'm assuming you're talking about where the ball stops and not where it first hits. I could probably hit 90% of most greens on the fly.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Last season it was probably about 25-30% from around 100yds. I had an issue where I was pushing my wedge shots a lot and missing to the right of the greens. I hope to have that problem figured out this season. Golfing tomorrow so I guess I'll find out.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*, Aldila NV Stiff
Fairway Wood: System 2 Midsize 3W
Hybrid: Idea Boxer a3Irons: Bomber Steel Plus 3: 4-PW (Callaway Clone)Wedges: 588 Tour Action BeCu 53* Gap/56* SandPutter: Karsten Anser 2 34"Balls: Back to the drawing board, experimenting with Gamers,...

this and anything closer are my fav distances...
it also depends alot on the lie...
100 yds out... fairway clear shot of the green... 80-90%... usually aw or pw
" yds out... fairway... greenside bunker in play... 70-80%... pw or full out lw
" " out... light rough... 60-70%... pw
" " " ... etc etc etc
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I'd say about 50% of the time.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Assuming a decent lie, 80-90%; should be better. Misses are usually near misses or misjudgments on distance. Need to get it closer really rather than simply aim to get it on the dance floor. As for club, easy PW (48°) or solid GW (52°).

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Note: This thread is 5448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!