IGNORED

Winter Golf

Jon K
Note:Β This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Would you goto a Virtual Golf Sim?

• Yes, during winter only
    • Yes, during winter, summer(rainy days)
    • Yes, any season, night time
    • No

What do you guys do for winter?

If you had a "Virtual Golf Simulator" located in your area(like the sims at golf galaxy), would you go? Let's say it cost ... $8 per half hour or so ..

We don't have anything like this in our area and i'm considering opening up shop.

Your opinions MUCH appreciated.

2010 Staff Bag
2010 S2 Driver - Stiff - (-.5")
2010 S2 3 Wood - Stiff
2010 Baffler TWS Hybrids 3 & 4
2010 MP-58 5-PW Irons - (+.5") 2010 MP-T10 Black Satin 52Β° - 56Β° - 60Β° - (+.5") 2009 Black Carbon 2 Putter Winn Grip e6Photos of my bag Golf Galaxy Wisconsin Amateur Tour PlayerGolf...

The nearest simulator to me is about 15 miles away. If there were one closer, I'd definitely go. I feel like I lose all the technique I spent building up over the summer, and my scores show it. I usually start off +10 handicap worse than when I quit for the winter and I spend spring and summer wittling it back down.

If you're thinking of opening up your own simulator, make sure the mat you get is somewhat realistic instead of that awful plastic grass that always gets on your clubs and takes forever to take off. Make sure it has multiple lies to hit from, not just a pristine tee box. It would be great to find a simulator that would mimic an actual course. The ones I've seen only have one hole available and it's always a tee shot. I'd rather pay to play 9-holes, complete with tee shot, approach, possibly a short 50 yd pitch shot... but trying to mimic chipping and putting wouldn't work out too well. Wouldn't it be cool to play at some famous course somewhere, like Pebble Beach, Carnoustie, Augusta, etc. You know what I mean... a chance to "play" somewhere exclusive. I'm not sure if such a thing exists, but I'd be willing to pay more to use it if it were more realistic. My two cents.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5Β° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56Β° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60Β° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

Wouldn't it be cool to play at some famous course somewhere, like Pebble Beach, Carnoustie, Augusta, etc. You know what I mean... a chance to "play" somewhere exclusive. I'm not sure if such a thing exists, but I'd be willing to pay more to use it if it were more realistic. My two cents.

I was thinking about joining the winter golf league here. It sounds like what you are thinking about. I can't imagine how chipping and putting actually works however.

http://www.golfbigc.com/owsegoBogies/courses.php

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8Γ’If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

If I had a sim near by I'd certainly go - alas, there is none. I'm pondering the thought of setting one up somewhere, though. It'll probably remain an idea due to lack of space and the not exactly tiny price tag

Driver: Mizuno MX-500
Hybrid: Cleveland HiBore 23Β°
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-P, MP-60 2-Iron
Wedges: Mizuno MX 51Β°, MX 56Β°
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi BC1Putter: Mizuno Tour 940

During the winter on weekends I'm not playing golf, I often go to Golf Galaxy and 'sample' different irons and woods on the simulators. It's fun and free. I usually go at times when the store is not busy at all and hit mostly their test clubs or used clubs so they do not need to be taped up. I have spent as much as 90 minutes doing this and have found and fixed swing flaws there. It's almost easier than the range for some things.

There is a Dave and Buster's in the area and they have (or used to have - I haven't been there in a while) a simulator, but the cost is close to the same as playing 18 holes with cart. I think they used to chage something like $20 for an hour or something (per person). The thing I hate with simulators is putting - it's nearly impossible to be accurate.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

those things are the quickest way to mess up a good golf swing.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

If it was more accurate than the ones at golfsmith and golf galaxy, I would definitely go. But the ones I've seen in the stores aren't all that accurate, so I hesitate to do it...

Driver: 10.5* 909 D3
Hybrid: 585.H Utility Metal
3-PW: Z-B Forged
50*, 54*, 58*: Vokey Spin Milled Wedges
Putter: Pro Platinum 35"Ball: Pro V1 (when I can afford them)

I wish I had a sim near me-be nice to swing away all winter!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

yea i would not for the "simulation" but for the pure fun of it

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

There is one near my house that I go to with friends now that it's cold and sometimes snowy out. They have 10 or so bays, and its $35/hr each. The ball flight for me is pretty accurate, although my friend (who sports a big slice) has a much straighter ball flight indoors.

Putting's not too bad but it takes some getting used to. Reading the screen then setting up how you would putt for real takes some practice because the floor is all flat. Also, we set the 'gimme' distance to 6 feet until we get the hang of it. The mats have spots for 'rough' and 'sand' that are thicker than the standard fairway lie.

All in all, it's a good time. It takes about 1 hr per person for 18 holes. Obviously it's not outdoor golf, but there are limits to what you can do when it's crappy outside. The place hosts leagues and has an instructor on site, just like a real club.

Thier web site is http://www.playaroundgolf.net/

A place opened near me last year that is an interesting concept.

http://www.crosswoodsgolf.com

Indoor golf simulators coupled with a lounge atmosphere that serves food and beverages.

Not sure if the business model is workable here in Phoenix where we can golf 365 days, but it sounds like something I would visit in the winter if I lived up north.

i would probably go in the winter when it snowed or if it was like 10 degrees, but otherwise id just go to the range in the cold.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

hmmm id rather have that launchpad thingy you hook up to a ps3 and play it at home... golf galaxy is pretty good tho cuz the pro helps you with stuff you dont realize plus you can demo clubs that are out of the budgets price range... an its free
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

i would definitely go to one if it was cold, because i have to play every few days, just to keep my swing right and to stay in shape for highschool golf. If i lay off all winter, i start back out with an 8 handicap and have to work it back down, which is very annoying. there is this guy who i know who lives in my hood and he got one installed, and sometimes we play together on it if its really cold. Its great fun!
if it gets cold in the winter where you live, go for it!!

In my vaporlite carry bag
DRIVER ft-5. 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard 73 X-stiff
FWY WOOD: 980F 15 EI-70 X Stiff
Hybrid: Burner tour launch 4 hybrid
IRONS mp-57 4-pw with project x 6.5 shaftsPUTTER: Rossa Classic AGSI+ Monte Carlo WEDGES vokey spin milled oil can 52.08, 58.12Niblick 42*

Yes maybe once in a while, but I have two heated driving ranges nearby, and that is a lot more accurate in terms of where the balls actually go. The golf galaxy sim was a lot more forgiving/deluded. In real life the ball ends up in the bushes or trees a lot more often.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
PutterΒ :ping: 1/2Craz-e | IronsΒ :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |WedgesΒ :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTGΒ |WoodsΒ :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3WΒ |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Well, I live here in Ohio and it's a golfer's nightmare in the Winter. I go absolutely insane being not able to play! I'll take a golf trip down South a couple of times, but still...

I work on my game inside my home. I have vaulted ceilings so I can make some full swings. I'll even record myself with a cam and study my swing. I'll pratice chipping, although my Pugs love stealing my balls! I'll get ready to hit a chip and they'll snatch the ball right up and run away. I'll also practice my putting, etc..

If you can't play, there are plenty of things that you can do. You may not be able to make full swings inside but you could practice putting. You don't even have to touch a club to become a better golfer. You can try doing some golf related exercises, reading a good golf book...somthing.

Sometimes we'll get lucky here in Ohio and have like a 40 degree day during the Winter months. So, I'll gear up and go play.

We don't have winter or rain in the Palm Springs area.

Ping G425 Woods, FWs, and Irons

Vokey 56

Odyssey Jailbird Mini

Β 

Β 

Note:Β This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!