IGNORED

How best to determine irons ( or all clubs) carry etc..

JackClark82
Note: This thread is 5659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I finally have a reliable swing routine and consistent ball flight with my irons.

Other than simply going to a driving range and trying to estimate the distance the balls go, what would you recommend to determine a more accurate evaluation of both carry and overall distance?

I've heard that some GPS devices can tell you exactly? Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks

In the bag...
Ultra Overdrive, Titanium Reinforced Distance design, Graphite "Firm Flex" 1, 3, 5 woods

T-Zoid Forged Pro II 3-PW, Project X 5.0, Winn G8 grips
Vokey Design Spin Milled "BV" 56.11 wedge with Winn gripKnight RCS 2 putter Platinum or HX Tour Balls

I've never done it like this but I'm sure that you could do it either of these two ways...

1- Most rangefinders have a button to press after you hit your shot to see how far that walk to your shot is. So you could either take it out to a course and do it this way, or go out to an open field and just hit and walk.

2- You could get a laser rangefinder and just go to the range and point it at the ball after it stops rolling.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Most GPS units will allow you to hit a button from the spot you just hit, go to your ball and hit the button again to show the distance your ball traveled. That is great for on course, but for the range you would be better using a laser rangefinder (although it's much easier at the range if there are no other balls on range already). The best way to figure out your distances is a combination of experience and work on range with laser rangefinder or hitting at distance signs and guess-timating. Most of the time professional instructors will also help you figure this out.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

There is a fancy driving range in Dallas, Texas that has little computer chips in the balls and special landing areas. The company that set this up must have spent millions. To "play" at this driving range, you must purchase a membership. You then get access to swing speed, carry distance, roll, and accuracy data on every shot. I am blanking on the name right now; but this fancy range just finished completion 1 year ago at the intersection of Park and Abrams. I think the name is "Top Golf". If I remember correctly, a small bucket is $10. There is initiation fee. Not sure about monthly dues.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

There is a fancy driving range in Dallas, Texas that has little computer chips in the balls and special landing areas. The company that set this up must have spent millions. To "play" at this driving range, you must purchase a membership. You then get access to swing speed, carry distance, roll, and accuracy data on every shot. I am blanking on the name right now; but this fancy range just finished completion 1 year ago at the intersection of Park and Abrams. I think the name is "Top Golf". If I remember correctly, a small bucket is $10. There is initiation fee. Not sure about monthly dues.

wow, that sounds awesome... i wonder if we will ever have pocket sized "Trak-Man" type devices in the future that show the shape of your ball flight, swing speed, ball spin, etc like they do on tv

Real simple... you get a golf ball, a roll of tape, and a spool of thread...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Here is a link the their website. Looks like there are three locations UK and three North America
http://www.topgolfusa.com/

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Hitting dead rock hard range balls is not the best way to learn yardages. Play some practice rounds and rehit a few shots with various clubs. With a fairly consistent swing you will know your yardages in no time with your regular ball.
As stated, playing along will give you the distances which have to be altered for elevation, wind, rain and temperature in any event.

i always wondered about this... but ive been relying mainly on memory from the range to the course... ive never used gps or rangefinders even if gps units are in the carts... i basically hit balls at the range for a round number... then guesstimate at the course when i play... im always bringing 2 or 3 clubs to the ball before i hit it... take a look at the target i want... an just choose the club from what i believe i can hit
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

For the most part unless your a single digit handicap you only have to know to the nearest 10 yards your club lengths. You can pretty well pick this up on the course during your regular play. If you are a consistent striker of the ball (most people are not honest with themselves on this one) Then dont use range balls there made for durability not flight so they only carry about 75 to 80% of a normal ball. Take a bag of the balls that you use and on a windless day hit 10 or so 5 irons into a field. (measure the distance to the average - this will also tell you your variation in the shot from best to worst) do the same with each club in your bag (record the numbers) ensure that the day you play that weather issues will play a part such as wind - temperature Altitude and humidity. Other than that it's easy.

Driver - Taylormade R9
3 Wood - Titlelist 909F2 15.5 degrees

2H - Nickent

4H - Taylormade
Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW
Wedges - Titlelist 52 and 60 and Cleveland CG-15 56
Putter - Scotty Cameron Stainless Steel NewportBall - Pro V or V1

I take my club of choice and about 10 balls to a nearby group of open school fields. After hitting I start my Garmin 305 and walk to the "approx" middle of the cluster. I'm finally able to keep them somewhat close, and only hitting 10 helps with the distribution. The 305 gives me the distance. It's at least w/in 5 yards...

In the Vector:

Driver - Hibore XL 9.5
Woods - exotics cb2 15* 906f4 18.5*
Hybrid - clk 20Irons - MP-33 (4-P)Wedges - oil can vokey's 52.08, SM56.10, SM60.08Putters - Studio Laguna 2.5Ball - Touri

Note: This thread is 5659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!