IGNORED

Fred Couples 49 yr old Putting Stroke

McGolf-Doggie
Note: This thread is 5623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

CHEVRON World Challenge 12/20/08

"I can't believe they said that,"

Was my wife and my reaction to what they said about Fred Couples' "49-yr-old putting stroke...breaking down, and you know how it is, it's just not the same as it used to be."

OK I'm a year shy of 49 and have only been playing golf 4 years, so I guess I already missed out on the best years of golf, but I don't enjoy it any less. Nope, I love it, frustrations and all.

But what is this business about the stroke breaking down -- I mean I already have 2 herniated discs in my neck that play havoc with the swing somedays already, but for you guys who've been playing a long time, I don't get the sense that you enjoy it any less, either? stroke breakdown or no breakdown...

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I think Freds putting breakdown is as much mental as anything. Not to say the dude doesnt have health issues. Back problems really derailed his career. But man, when he stands over a 6 footer these days he just looks lost sometimes. Hes my favorite golfer so its a bit depressing. But when he occaionally puts it together hes still impressive.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

There has long been a theory in pro golf that the putting is among the first things to go, even before distance. I'm not exactly sure why this is but most older professional golfers do not putt as well as they did when they were young. Maybe it's the eyes, or maybe it's nerves or maybe it's something else completely.

To me, it would seem that putting would be the one thing you could rely on the longest since strength and flexibility are not needed, but that doesn't seem to be the case (at least with pro golf). Of course this is not the case with all pro golfers, but I'm sure if you polled players on the senior tour most would confirm they do not putt as well as they used to.

It would be interesting to look at putting stats for players when they were younger (maybe around 30-35), then compare when they are older (45-55 or something like that), but that stat would be skewed because greens on PGA Tour are getting faster all the time and the greens on Champions Tour are easier and slower than big tour.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

But man, when he stands over a 6 footer these days he just looks lost sometimes. Hes my favorite golfer so its a bit depressing. But when he occaionally puts it together hes still impressive.

He's actually always been known for drilling long putts (30+ footers) and not being so accurate on the shorter-ish ones.

There has long been a theory in pro golf that the putting is among the first things to go, even before distance. I'm not exactly sure why this is but most older professional golfers do not putt as well as they did when they were young. Maybe it's the eyes, or maybe it's nerves or maybe it's something else completely.

That may be true for some, but, I did happen to read an article in Golf Digest (I think it was) where Arnold Palmer says he's now putting better than he has in a long while. Something to do with regaining as sense of feel in his hands. Letting them be free and lose like in his earlier days.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I take this story personally, I just turned 51 and my putting stroke is not bad maybe after 49 its only gets better!

I still use a 33 inch putter and just switched to a never compromise mallet putter that is working well in my bag, I had a 27 putt round last week even with two 3 putts.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I take this story personally, I just turned 51 and my putting stroke is not bad maybe after 49 its only gets better!

I'm glad you do. And that's why I posted it.

I'm 47, and only have been playing 4 years. I am hoping to improve my putting -- I can't say I'm that ready to think about any kind of breaking down -- I'm trying to break it upward if anything.

Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

To me, it would seem that putting would be the one thing you could rely on the longest since strength and flexibility are not needed, but that doesn't seem to be the case (at least with pro golf). ...

One would have hoped. Well I guess it's good for those of us that are not pros.

All the more reason to try and incorporate a little yoga and relaxation/meditation into one's routing, i guess. I'll take or fabricate whatever motivation I can to do that.

Note: This thread is 5623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!