IGNORED

Best courses in your metro area...

PiKapp23
Note: This thread is 5652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just looking for the best courses to play in your metro area (within about 90 miles of you). I'm not necessarily just talking about expensive high-end courses that the average golfer can't afford (unless they are absolutely worth it). I'll give you my top 10 for Cincinnati area (which includes Columbus, OH and parts of KY and Indiana).

In no particular order:
Old Silo, Mt. Sterling, KY
Stonelick Hills, Batavia, OH
Grand Victoria, Rising Sun, IN
Aston Oaks, Cincinnati, OH
Cook's Creek, Columbus, OH
Kearney Hills, Lexington, KY
Yankee Trace, Dayton, OH
Weatherwax, Middletown, OH
Lassing Pointe, Union, KY
Hidden Cove, Grayson, KY (I might be pushing my 90 mile rule, but it's close).

All of these courses are fun courses to play with good layouts and are well conditioned, without being too expensive. The most expensive is Stonelick Hills at $75 (or around that) in peak season. The lowest cost is Hidden Cove, which is $40-something. Most are $40-$55 for 18 with cart in peak season.

Do you have courses that you think the average golfer should check out in your metro?
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

In the St Louis Metro area...

Annbriar, Waterloo,IL
Gateway National, East St Louis, IL
Spencer T Olin, Alton, IL
Quail Creek, St Louis
Tapawingo, St Louis
Far Oaks, Fairview Hgts,IL
Pevely Farms, Eureka, MO

Public golf is definitely better Metro East, private is better on the St Louis side. Prices are down and club memberships, except for the elite half a dozen are available for monthly dues with no initiation. Annual fees for quality public tracks, including some listed above, are in the $200 a month range. Great value if you are a frequent player.

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

Here on Long Island wehave 2 public facility's that are outstanding.
Bethpage has 5 courses andis probably the best in the country.
We also have Montauk Downs that could probably hold a tournament also.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Avid Golfer's opinion for DFW
http://www.myavidgolfer.com/articles..._id=&year;=2008

Dallas Morning News top 100 for Texas
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ic.41adc6.html

My 2cents
Must start the post with a tribute to Sleepy Hollow golf course
Sleepy Hollow, conveniently located half way between Parkland and the VA, was the perfect sanctuary during Med School and Residency. It didn't matter if your golf buddy as at the VA, Parkland, or Baylor; you could always meet at Sleepy.
Sleepy Hollow died December 2003 and it was a sad day.
http://news.google.com/archivesearch...04254012970893

Courses I love to play DFW area (no particular order)

The Tribute-just like baby bear's oatmeal. Just right. I don't know how they keep the greens so moist, even in the summer.

Texas Star-Perfect course, perfect greens.

Keeton Park-even in the midst of a Texas drought, because the course is so low laying, it retains moisture. PS don't play after a rain

Westridge- 6 par 5s, 4s, and 3s. Might appear gimmicky, but it works. Don't know why more courses aren't designed in this manner

Coyote Ridge-that Sam Moon guy spent the money in all the right places (Jerry take note--all that glitters is not gold)

Tenison Highlands and East course-rarely crowded. Independent self employed individuals finding golf balls for you.

Cedar Crest-Great renovation by D.A. Weibring in 2004. Love the history here. It is also close to Wingfield's--Dallas Best Burger(call your order in 30minutes prior to getting there)

Anywhere with my Dad or good friends.

Country View in Lancaster-gets better evey year. Love the course, hate the drive (from where I'm at now)

Must make an aside for The Old Brickyard. Was once a great course, but the owners have let it slide too far. It is 5 or so miles further away than Country View and isn't worth the extra mileage.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Just looking for the best courses to play in your metro area (within about 90 miles of you). I'm not necessarily just talking about expensive high-end courses that the average golfer can't afford (unless they are absolutely worth it).

Great topic! I assume you want this limited to best courses that the public can play. The NYC metro area has loads of great private courses but is relatively thin on geat public access courses at least on a per capita basis relative to other metro areas. I think a 90 mile radius is too big an area. In NY, 90 miles would take you as far away as the Catskills and cousres like Grossingers "Big G" and the Concord "Monster" I don't think any New Yorkers consider a course 90 miles away as being part of the metro area.

I played Lassing Point and Blue Ash when I visited Cincinnati. Here is my list of NY metro public using a 60 mile radius of one of the 5 boroughs, which is still a really big area: Bethpage Black (Long Island) Bethgpage Red (Long Island) Balleyowen (Northern NJ) Patriot Hills (Rockland County) Links @ Unionvale (Dutchess County) Nehshanic Valley ( Somerset County - Central NJ) Centennial (Putnam County) Mansion Ridge (Orange County NY) Rockland Lake Stet Park (Rockland County) Spook Rock (Rockland County) Hudson Hills (Westchester) Mohansic (Westchester) Saxon Woods (Westchester) Van Cortland Park (The Bronx) Note - There is a brand new Pte Dye course called Pound Ridge that is supposed to be svery nice, but the bgreen fee is about $250

Sabram,

Wow, you just listed my course rota.

I'd add in Hominy Hills and Howell Park. Also Berkshire something in NJ. Forget the name.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

San Francisco Bay Area

1) Harding Park
2) Sharp Park
3) Crystal Spring
4) Palo Alto
5) Popular Creek
6) Silver Creek
7) Peeble Beach
8) Spyglass
9) Lake Merced
10) California Club
11) Alameda North Course...........

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

In the Springfield, MO area (and within a 30 minute drive):

Rivercut golf course, Springfield, MO - public
Branson Creek - Branson, MO - public
Silo Ridge - Bolivar, MO - private (but easy to get on)

There are a number of other public courses that aren't too bad, but these are the three best that I know I could play at any time. Their are three other private courses that are as good or better than these, but you really need to know someone to be able to play them.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

The River Club in North Augusta, SC 20 minutes away. Bent grass...consistenly in great shape. Super course.

Mount Vintage in North Augusta, SC 25 minutes away. Bent grass....when it's in great shape it is second to none.....lately the reports haven't been very favorable....especially considering it's near $100 green fees.

Gordon Lakes in Augusta, GA at Fort Gordon----30 mins away. My home course. A gem if ever I've found one. Bermuda greens but consistently smooth and usually very, very fast.

Cedar Creek Golf Club in Aiken, SC----60 mins away. Well worth the drive for me. Rates are usually fair for this long drivers course. Bomb your tee shots and you'll love the results. Bermuda greens that are usually smooth and moderate speed.

These are the courses that I mainly play.....there are a dozen more that could be recomended by others who've played them more recently than I but are on my "favorites" list:

Golf De L in Lincolnton, GA

Applewood in Hepzibah, GA

Forest Hills in Augusta, GA. The course that Bobby Jones won the Southeastern Open during the year he went on to win his grand slam. Course has been updated a bit and is a fun track.

Pointe South in Hepzibah, GA

Persimon Hill in Johnston, SC. Beauty of country course with a huge closing par five that plays over 6oo yards.

many more that I'm forgetting.....forgive me.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!