IGNORED

Anthony Kim Plotting Return?

iacas

• Administrator

Anthony Kim has been in discussions with both the PGA Tour and LIV as he plots a return to pro golf more than a decade after he disappeared.

Kim has spent the last few months in discussions with the PGA Tour, LIV and potential sponsors as he plots a way back, multiple sources familiar with those discussions told GOLF. He’s been playing more golf. He’s been ramping up workouts. He’s confident in his game. That part, people say, definitely hasn’t changed. Now, it’s just a matter of where he makes his return.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Didn’t he quit because of an insurance policy he was collecting on? Guess that’s over now?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Didn’t he quit because of an insurance policy he was collecting on? Guess that’s over now?

I was thinking the same. Like 10-20 million if he were to get injured and could not play...something like that maybe?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, billchao said:

Maybe it's been long enough, or he's gotten 90% of the payout, or something?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Maybe it's been long enough, or he's gotten 90% of the payout, or something?

I kind of skimmed through the article. It talks about it but it’s not clear if he collect the whole sum. He’s probably going to make more from playing at this point, though an argument could be made that he could have done that had he not stopped.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Greg will pay off his policy, offer a 1 year contract, he will possibly join Jon Rhams team if Tyrell Hatton goes to another team. My prediction of course. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

7 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

I'm excited to see him play again. Go, AK!

You'll be watching him on the CW. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

10 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

I'm excited to see him play again. Go, AK!

Why? I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m legitimately confused by the hype AK is getting. I don’t understand his popularity and why people still care about him as a golfer after all these years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, snapfade said:

You'll be watching him on the CW. 

If LIV starts to outperform One Tree Hill reruns in the ratings, I'll consider it 😄

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Why? I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m legitimately confused by the hype AK is getting. I don’t understand his popularity and why people still care about him as a golfer after all these years.

Not snarky at all! In thinking about your question, it brought up a lot of fond memories of my early days in golf. I began playing on May 1st, 2008 and AK won his first PGA Tour event on May 4th, 2008. That was very formative at the time. 

In general though, this article from the Athletic does a good job of summing up the reasons why a lot of us are into this (I had to give them my Gmail to read the article unfortunately, but it was otherwise "free"). 

Kim is plotting a return to the PGA Tour or signing with LIV, Golf.com reported Thursday.

Not to get too dramatic, but his disappearance was almost like a Keith Morrison-narrated Dateline episode for me. Or he's golf's MH370. Whatever the case, the mystery coupled with what I thought was an enormous amount of talent was fascinating. I'm sure the reality of why he stopped playing is less interesting than the mystery, but I'm interested to hear what he has to say if he wants to share. I'm interested in what he can still do out there. I like a good comeback story. 

And if this is all just to pay the bills, then okay. That's fine too. I'm just fascinated to see how his return plays out. I've lost a lot of interest in professional golf these last few years, and I'm pretty desperate for a reason to tune in, however fleeting it is.

• Like 3

Constantine

perfect for LIV

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

In his prime, AK was an exciting player to watch.  Talented, loud dress sense, brash/confident/arrogant.  Whether he is still that will be seen.  I wish him luck if he can play well enough to make it.  He would automatically make it back into the PGA tour on medical exemptions I think, so both the PGA and LIV are options for him.  Will be interesting to see him play

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

No surprise here I guess, but yikes nonetheless. I would've much preferred if the guy played some KFT or low level PGAT events along his comeback trail first, but clearly that's not the only avenue back to the pro ranks anymore. 

Kind of a sad money grab from Kim here, though I do get it, I guess. It might be funny to see who he beats out there on LIV.

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

3 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

No surprise here I guess, but yikes nonetheless. I would've much preferred if the guy played some KFT or low level PGAT events along his comeback trail first, but clearly that's not the only avenue back to the pro ranks anymore. 

Kind of a sad money grab from Kim here, though I do get it, I guess. It might be funny to see who he beats out there on LIV.

Bummer. I would've liked to see him play.

Edited by mdl

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

That may quickly move him from popular ex-pro to unpopular pro.

If true, it’s an eays way to make some millions. At 38 years old and a decade off the pro scene, he may not have the largest ambitions.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I've heard so many conflicting rumors on this. Like apparently that video of him practising is a few years old at this point. I've heard people say he's not coming back and others like Dan Rapaport as quoted above saying he's playing LIV soon. Not really going to expect much until he's actually out there playing. And then if it's LIV it will be a curiosity to me about whether he is, but I don't care enough to go watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like he would part of the 54 man field not assigned to a team. At 38 I don't think he will be a force to be reckoned with so I think he goes for the guaranteed money, my prediction still stands that he goes to LIV. Maybe he can play LIV right handed and the PGAT left handed and kind of be a modern day Mac O'Grady. ha

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, mdl said:

Bummer. I would've liked to see him play.

If the rumors are true that he is actually coming back, but it's to LIV, I will relegate myself to whatever highlights/lowlights/interviews are posted to Twitter. 

It'll be funny maybe to see that gaudy belt buckle again, hopefully with some fresh white leather holding his pants up, and then shooting 80, which hopefully beats Ian Poulter by one. 

Constantine