IGNORED

Utley pitching method - using the wedge bounce

Note: This thread is 5618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have just read the Utley short game book. Have tried his method at the driving range and except the chipping method I think it is great. However, I don't understand the bit where he wants to use the bounce of the club when pitching. He wants the sole of the club to hit the ground before the ball. I just don't understand this bit - surely he doesn't want you to hit pitch shots fat. I like his pitching method but I think I am getting "ball first contact". Any help would be greatly appreciated..............

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 deg V2
3 Wood: 906 F4
5 Wood: 906 F4
Irons: 755 3 - PW
Wedges: Spin Milled. 56, 60Putter: Newport

I think Utley just means that you should hit the ball and the ground at the same time. (If you do catch it a bit fat, you'll get away with it. If you catch it a bit thin, you'll get away with it.) It's completely different from his chipping technique where you want to hit the ball first.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I am familar with this method. My take on using the bounce is really moving away from a "very steep" downward strike which takes a big divot to more of an around the body swing (still hitting down) but using the bounce of the club to hit the ground and "slide" through the ball, taking a very small divot (normally it would be considered a skid mark).
My Sticks
Driver - Adams Tech A4 9.5* Matrix Xcon 7 X flex 266 Freq
3Wd - Exotics CB2 15* Motore F1 S flex tipped to 275 Freq
Hybrid - Taylormade Rescue TP 17* & 21*
Irons - 4 thru PW Mizuno MP 62 +1/2 X100 shaftsWedges - Vokey 52* and Scratch Golf WLD grind 58*Putter - Rife IBF Tour Assie custom fitGri...

actually, I do this when the grass is thin and the ground is hard. It's just a feeling where you smack the sole of the club on the ground and it'll have enough bounce that it won't get caught in the turf and will slide into the ball. You really gotta smack that sole down for that to work though.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!