IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 4007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yep golf is full of contradictions when it comes to tips. I don't know what the general accepted rule is but I just noticed that I can grip as hard as I want with the interlock but If you overlap and use to much pressure you'll feel like your pinky is going to break.

I read recently that a grooveless club will actually impart more spin from a perfect lie. What the hell?!!? Guess it makes sense, there isn't tread on drag racing tires. *all about surface area* Grooves just push stuff away allowing for more contact etc...

I also watched a swing vision video of Aaron Baddeley recently and they show in slow motion how he hits down on the ball with his 3wood which gives him a boring low ball flight according to the announcers. That confused the hell out of me too.

Would link but can't link youtube for some reason?!?!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i use thumbs down the shaft and without pinkie and idex figer interlocking or over laping each other is this overlap or something esle

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

My 2 cents (from a right-handed perspective.)

With an interlocking grip I become right-hand dominant (pushing with right-hand on downswing.)

With an overlap grip I become a left-hand domant (pulling through downswing.)

Overlap I have four left hand fingers on the club and feel like I have solid control with the left hand, so my right hand (and fingers) just sort of lay there and go along for the ride (my right hand focus seems to be keeping a little pressure with the pinky to keep it in the groove.)

Interlock I only have three left hand fingers on the club, don't feel like I have as solid a grip, so my right hand fingers tend to lock down a little tighter (especially with the right pointer and index.)

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

BOTH!

I'm not sure if you're like me. I started with good ol' base ball bat grip. After pulling, slicing, you name it I started trying overlap. Felt outa control. Then tried Interlocking. Started working for me but I have long fingers and was getting blisters in all the worse places on my none glove hand.,....

But.....

Now I found my perfect grip. I interlock my pinky finger of none glove hand and then over lap the next finger (3rd finger) over the index finger on my glove hand. Now I'm blister free and feel smooth and in control through the entire swing. Dunno if this will help with your problem, but maybe. Cheers

In the bag...
Ultra Overdrive, Titanium Reinforced Distance design, Graphite "Firm Flex" 1, 3, 5 woods

T-Zoid Forged Pro II 3-PW, Project X 5.0, Winn G8 grips
Vokey Design Spin Milled "BV" 56.11 wedge with Winn gripKnight RCS 2 putter Platinum or HX Tour Balls

Well looks like I will have to go hit a bucket trying the interlock? Now when/if you made the switch to the interlock grip what kind of differences did you notice? Better ball striking? ??? I've very curious, thanks.

Interlock feels way more secure to me like my hands are really working together and I'm not going to lose the club during my swing

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

So when I use the interlock grip, the first knuckle above the base of my left forefinger gets sore. I dont know if I squeeze too hard or what the problem is. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm trying to switch to overlap to see if that works better, but its not as smooth of a transition as I would have liked.

i used to use interlock when i first started playing, but my coach forced me to use overlap because i was putting all the pressure into the place where the fingers were linking.

Pro and cons of both? I was told that going to the overlap it will make my hands quieter at the bottom of the swing? Now I have a big issue with flipping at the bottom? Anyone have experience with changing between the two grips? Thanks.

nither baseball grip pinky against pointer finger

the others feel wierd

after a combination of closing the club face and reading hogans book, I just switched to overlap. I'm at least gonna give it a few months.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

Grew up without lessons and used the good ol' baseball grip for many years. Finally a few years ago I made the switch to the interlock grip, and while it took some getting used to, it has definitely been an important step in improving my game. Never could use the overlap grip, but I have relatively small hands so that could explain that.
I do notice every once and a while I grip poorly and squeeze too hard, basically cracking my right-hand pinky knuckle. Gotta quit doing that...can't wear my "iron ring" during the summer...actually to be honest I think that knuckle is permantly bigger now.

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

Holy interlok thread! If Tiger and Jack use this, it can't really be wrong.

I switched from interlok to overlap during my first year in college golf. It was quite the adjustment to make but I didn't find that it made alot of difference with power but I hit it straighter.

Try this: put your glove hand on the top of the club - only this hand. With your other hand, pull at your pinky at the top of the club and try to resist pulling it away. Now, lift your index finger of your glove hand Off the club(the one that would interlok) and notice the difference in resistance to pulling your pinky off the club.

If all 4 fingers are gripping the club you are able to hold onto the club tighter, but as soon as 1 finger is not working along side the other fingers, all fingers will become 'weaker'.

I started with interlock but then tried to switch to overlap recently, since I have an old injury in my right ring finger that prevents me from bending the finger as far as the other fingers. Due to the injury I figured I wasn't holding the club securely enough in my right hand during the downswing.

But last week at the range while using the overlapping grip, and after hitting 100 balls, I managed to rub the skin off my left index finger, immediately under the second knuckle (closest one to the finger tip). I wasn't wearing a glove at the time, as I have been trying to swing without the glove to get a better feel from the club.

Should I lay my right pinky on top of my left index finger to avoid the blister/skin damage? While swinging I placed my right pinky in the grove between the left forefinger and big finger, as illustrated in Ben Hogan's Five Lessons book.

I would rather use the overlapping grip since it feels like I have better control of the club, but not sure what I'm doing to cause the rubbing of the skin on the knuckle, unless my hands are just shaped in a way I can't avoid the problem with the overlapping grip.

EDIT: I just looked at my overlap grip in the mirror and I think I had my right palm covering up too much of the left forefinger, which was contributing to the rubbed-away skin. I was so focused on getting the right pinky in the left hand webbing that I probably extended my pinky too much. Will adjust my overlap grip and try again at the range on Sunday.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

• Administrator
If all 4 fingers are gripping the club you are able to hold onto the club tighter, but as soon as 1 finger is not working along side the other fingers, all fingers will become 'weaker'.

I disagree that "tighter = better."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I disagree that "tighter = better."

Tighter applies more pressure to the club. Great players hold the club firm but always maintain loose wrists and forearms. Most amateurs cannot tell the difference between tight grip with loose wrists and tight grip and too much arm tension

• Administrator
Tighter applies more pressure to the club. Great players hold the club firm but always maintain loose wrists and forearms. Most amateurs cannot tell the difference between tight grip with loose wrists and tight grip and too much arm tension

I believe most amateurs would do better to apply LESS pressure to the club. Great players hold the club "firmly" but also looser than most amateurs. Studies have shown too this to be true. Amateurs also vary grip pressure throughout the swing, while PGA Tour pros don't vary it as much. Additionally, the majority of PGA Tour pros interlock.

I also think you're wrong from a physiological standpoint. The tighter you squeeze the grip with your fingers, the firmer your wrists and even forearms are going to be. Please do not read this disagreement as my intent to discuss this with you. This thread's about overlap vs. interlock. I interlock, as do most people, but if overlap works for you, good for you. Jim Furyk, someone will point out, uses a double overlap.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe most amateurs would do better to apply LESS pressure to the club. Great players hold the club "firmly" but also looser than most amateurs. Studies have shown too this to be true. Amateurs also vary grip pressure throughout the swing, while PGA Tour pros don't vary it as much. Additionally, the majority of PGA Tour pros interlock.

This statement is wrong in so many ways. Studies have not shown this and I think its misleading the members here

This statement is wrong in so many ways. Studies have not shown this and I think its misleading the members here

so your saying that if you apply more pressure your muscles wont be firmer wat kinda sense does that make??

Note: This thread is 4007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!