IGNORED

Schwarzenegger proposes approx. 10% tax on "golf services" in California

Chas
Note: This thread is 5535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The economic assumption is, as with gas, cigarettes, etc., that the loss in revenue from any consumers who buy less "golf" will be offset by the gain in revenue from "golf" at higher prices. If the demand for "golf" is more elastic than Arnold thinks it is (if that's been considered) it will fail as a revenue-raising proposal. Presumably someone has studied this, or now will. Hard to believe the way trends have shown for private clubs and rounds played in general the last couple of years that this would prove to be a good tax strategy (not even considering the PR aspect).

That being said, this is too political for golf talk, so I'm begging off any further comment on this one --- don't want to get carried away.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Nice try, but your previous post was whining about the Republicans, blaming this on the Republicans and threatening to register Democrat over something that the Democrats would have to pass. The Republican members in the Senate and Assembly are not the problem (unless they are out there supporting this, then go get 'em). You think Arnold will veto his own bill? Please. Your blaming this on the California Republicans is silly.

Let's compare your claim to what I said:

Between them and some things the national GOP has done this year, I seriously think there's a major effort within the GOP to get me to re-register as a Democrat.

What's an honest interpretation of what I said? It's that if I'm going to get behavior like this out of the Republicans, I might as well vote for the "real thing."

A Republican governor proposes a bill that other Republicans can stop and will likely choose not to stop. Just because the Democrats are doing the dirty work doesn't make it a Democrat bill.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

+1

The classic example is the boat luxury tax enacted during the first year of the Clinton administration. It cause boat sales to drop 93%, nearly killed the boating industry, and put over 19,000 people out of work (link:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...20/ai_11184186 ). Now California is trying the same thing with golf. Do people have no memory? Do they not learn from experience?

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Let's compare your claim to what I said:

I've already provided not an interpretation, but a criticism of exactly what you did say in your entire post, including the one sentence you now focus on. Read your own newspapers. Republicans have been fighting against any new taxes for months, only now are some, because of the budget crisis (in part due to the policies of Davis - which got Arnold elected - whom now you claim irrationally to pine for) talking compromise. The base is mobilizing against for the upcoming convention. Read, learn.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

he probably doesn't golf or is a horrible golfer

You are undoubtedly correct. Most people who have been weight lifters do not make good golfers because of the flexibility the game requires. He probably hates golfers since they can play the game for a lifetime, and he cannot play it at all. In other words, he is jealous!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• 3 weeks later...
No golf tax for California. Little blurb from SCPGA.com (Southern Ca. PGA)

http://southerncal.pga.com/index.cfm...openitem=3549#

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I have very little sympathy for California. That state was flush with cash from high property taxes on homes five times their worth up until three years ago. They wasted it all on pet projects and new office furniture. California sucks up natural resources at an alarming rate

Did you know that a subway system was built below LA. It was fully operational, then bought out by Firestone, GM, and other multinationals. Some critical parts of the track were filled with concrete. California also killed the electric car via GM in the late '90s.

http://houstonwade.com/blog/?s=los+angeles+subway

Is the LA subway system filled with concrete urban myth? or true?

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Urban myth. I've used it a handful of times in the past months.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Is the LA subway system filled with concrete urban myth? or true?

Given that LA is in an earthquake zone, I don't think subways would be such a good idea.

There is a river running under the Atlanta airport. Not a myth, actually true.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Yeah, too many earthquakes... that's why Tokyo doesn't have a subway... oh wait!

LA is not laid out well for public transit, and there's enormous resistance within the population to actually use it. It's a catch-22 of sorts-- until the transit system is large and reliable enough, relatively few people will use it. Until people are using it, it'll be perceived as a waste of resources...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I've had experience with Tokyo's public transportation and L.A.'s. Both are nothing like the other. In Tokyo if you miss a train, another will be by within minutes. In L.A., you're waiting at least 10-15. My friends just moved downtown near Staples Center, and I'm pretty close to a Metro station. But, It takes me the same amount of time to drive as it does waiting for transfers. But, I do enjoy riding the trains. A good way to get out and be with people.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

if this tax gets implemented, it will assure : "I won't be back..." (Arnold voice).

Well, since he's term limited, he won't be back. But you may or may not be glad to know that this didn't pass.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!