IGNORED

Biggest sports star ever?

4ringslvr
Note: This thread is 5257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don Bradman

None of the guys you mentioned ever 'transcended' sports like Ali, Pele or Woods.

But you're right about guys like Ruth, Jordan, etc
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention one other thought: people identify and root for a sports figure if it is a sport they are playing, have played or at least been exposed to. Football (soccer in the US), basketball, and baseball are not that expensive to play so many youngsters (and old folks for that matter) who do not have much money or time for recreation can play those three. That is one reason all three are popular with many people (the masses) in so many countries. Golf is expensive. Also, it is not easy for people in poor countries or in cities to be able to get to a course to play. Those factors limit the participation. Because of that, the popularity, in terms of total people participating and spectators watching live or on TV are so high for the three sports that I named. Golf is a minor sport or game whether in the US or the rest of the world.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

There's an aura about heavyweight champion of the world that is unmatched by other sports. The most basic reference point imaginable: That guy can lick anyone on the planet in a fist fight.

Ali is a simple answer. I realize boxing was bigger in prior eras, like Louis'. But Ali's personality and legend and controversial aspects like the forced layoff that transcended sports move him to an entirely different level, IMO.

The first Ali/Frazier fight in March 1971 is light years the most anticipated sporting event of my lifetime. I was an elementary school kid but old enough to appreciate and remember it, huddled by the radio for round by round summaries while pacing the living room nervously, along with my dad. I doubt younger fans can grasp how huge that fight was. You can multiple any Super Bowl by the national debt and it doesn't remotely threaten the magnitude.

There's an aura about heavyweight champion of the world that is unmatched by other sports. The most basic reference point imaginable: That guy can lick anyone on the planet in a fist fight.

Excellent post. I am 60 years old, and I remember that my late brother and I went to the Stanley Theater in Utica, NY, to see Ali-Frazier I. Ali was quite the showman, and the prefight publicity was immense. The two antagonists were perfectly matched---the loud, bombastic, bragging Ali, and the sulking, angry, and "in your face" demeanor of Smokin' Joe. Each of their fights was brutal-----Smokin' Joe coming straight at Ali, while "The Champ" danced, ducked, and slipped puches (most of the time, but not all of the time). You could not write better movie scripts. When Ali held up the little monkey and mocked Smokin' Joe for the "Thrilla in Manilla", it was the ULTIMATE INSULT, and I swear that Smokin' Joe's eyes rellected total disdain and hate. Ali is lucky that he had agility, a great left jab, and a genius in his corner---Angelo Dundee. Otherwise, he might have been killed. That is one of the critical differences between boxing and other sports---you could get seriously injured or even killed by your opponent, and many times, the brutal savagery you see (like Smokin' Joe) can literally scare you. Other sports are for pansies, by comparison.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Indurain

Indurain won 5 times in a row. Lance won 7 after fighting off 3 kinds of cancer. This comparison is almost like a Jack-Tiger comparison, but Armstrong has already won more than Indurain.

What is a "sports star"? If its on athletic ability, we should be looking at fighters (boxers, UFC competitors) and triatheletes but if its on who has excelled in a specific sport, Tiger, Lance, Gretzky, Jordan, have all been arguably the best in their sport.

I remember that the priest and nuns at Sunday school told us all that we should support Frazier. That was all anyone could talk about for weeks.

Muhamed Ali hands down.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Ali....

I am 21, i will admit I am a boxing fan. I have seen hours of Ali footage. Yet i love football and know for a fact there is hardly any Pele film around....how can people say he is the greatest when no one seen him play much....I think Maradona is a larger name in football.

Ali....

Then you need to look

harder . And BTW, Maradonna is a 'larger' name for every bad reason apart from that of his footballing abilities.
C B Fry-he played international cricket and rugby, was also a long jump champion-thats a sports star for you.

But who's heard of WG Grace or CB Fry? And no, being a 'multi-tasker' at sports does not elevate you to 'star' or 'global' status.

I'd say MJ in team sports, Tiger in individual sport. Honerable mention to Joe Montana.

You've just picked out guys who are well-known in the USA.

Can we assume this thread was started with a 'global' viewpoint?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[QUOTE=RichF;256119]Then you need to look harder .
And BTW, Maradonna is a 'larger' name for every bad reason apart from that of his footballing abilities.
QUOTE]

Oh I dont need to look harder at all....there are Grainy films of Pele's first world cup in Sweden, where he scored 2 in the final.

66 he never played much due to injuries

70 he played in the most talented TEAM ever assembled in international football.

His legacy is based on the one decent tournament he played in 15 years. How many games did YOU see of him playing for Santos.....none I assume. His record is amazing but he was never tested in European club football, and that frankly is the only test that matters.

Maradonna.....you made me laugh there...

He single handed won a world cup....Pele never did that( he was part of a great team)

He came to Europe and again single handed dragged Napoli from a small team to the kings of Europe........Pele scored a 1000 goals for a clown team ina joke league....

His talent speaks through the generations....listen to the players. They all say Maradona...he was better and in my opinion a bigger Star.

Yes he was flawed.....Genius ofter comes with a flaw...or several haha..

I still say Ali is the biggest star....not the best ever boxer...but he in undoubtably sports biggest star.

Note: This thread is 5257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!