IGNORED

How to Choose the Right Golf Ball - Things to consider

Note: This thread is 5530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How to Choose the Right Golf Ball

Things you should consider before buying new golf balls.

I was wanting your opinion on things that other golfers look for before choosing a golf ball. Brand, type golfer’s style, the course or situation would be an example? I am more interested in the mechanics of match the golfer to the right ball rather or situation rather than brand or price, but you can list brand if you wish. Example, a hard ball for a slower swing = brand X or a softer ball for this situation = Y brand and type. Anything you can think of would be greatly helpful on - How to Choose the Right Golf Ball.

Get fitted or play by how it feels. There is no set equation.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

i understand no set equation... but what about some general rules of thumb?

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Funny, I just had a golf ball epiphany today on the course. I had been using soft 2 piece balls for awhile because I thought that fit my playing style and handicap. Most recently I was using a Bridgestone e6+ with varying success. I had a real hard time controlling it off the tee although that is what it was suppose to do.

At hole #11 today, because there was no one behind me, I decided to hit two shots. One with the e6+ and another with a Pro V1. First shot with e6+ gets sliced bad. Second shot with Pro V1 gets smoked just off the fairway to the left on a slight pull. Stuck with the Pro V1 the rest of the round and I could feel the difference on every shot.

I guess the point is that it is really just about getting out there and trying balls and going on the feel. If you want to find the ball for you the best thing is going to be to go try out a sleeve. You can read all the specs in the packaging and all the reviews you want, but you just have to play the balls to figure it out.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*, Aldila NV Stiff
Fairway Wood: System 2 Midsize 3W
Hybrid: Idea Boxer a3Irons: Bomber Steel Plus 3: 4-PW (Callaway Clone)Wedges: 588 Tour Action BeCu 53* Gap/56* SandPutter: Karsten Anser 2 34"Balls: Back to the drawing board, experimenting with Gamers,...

I have had the best experience trying out the balls I find on the course. Keep your eyes open and you will find tons of different balls. Try them for a couple holes or rounds and remember what you like about them. This way you have an idea of what you would like to try before you throw away 20 or 30 dollars on a dozen.

Bag: Cheapo
Driver:983K
Woods: Steelhead
Irons-PW: X-12
SW: 56* CG14LW: 60* CG14Putter:Craz-E "I Series"BallNY, NY"Chinch Bugs"

When I start deciding on what ball i'm going to use at the beginning of the year I go through the following steps;
1) Decide how much you are prepared to spend on a ball and ask your pro (nicely!) if you can borrow a sleeve of each ball in that price category to take to the putting green. My pro is pretty good about this as he knows theres a good chance I'm going to buy at least a sleeve of 3 or 4 different models and a whole lot of my favourite! When on the putting green decide which balls you like the feel of and which ones you absolutely can't stand!
2) Next i'll buy a sleeve of each of the ones that I like the feel of so that I can try them out on the short game area and the practice ground. Depending on which is most important to your game, long game or short game performance I would then take the balls and compare them. For me i'm looking for certain short game performance things (soft feel, ability to check the ball on firm greens) so I go to the short game area first.
3) After i've again decided which balls do best in the second category I then buy a dozen each of my three favourite balls (the ones that don't make the cut are excellent practice balls!) and take them to the practice ground and directly compare their long game performance (length with driver and irons, ball flight, feel, and stopping power). Usually after this, one of the balls has stood out as being a real winner for my game!
I know this sounds a bit exhaustive and you may not want to go to these lengths but it has a second advantage of really sharpening my game up early in the year too! . Hope this helps, cheers, Jenks.

In my Tour bag
Driver - Cyberstar (9*), cut to 43.5 inches long with tonnes of lead tape attatched to the head.
Fairway 909F2 (13.5*), Diamana blue 83 shaft, 42 inches long
Rescues Heaven wood (17*)
909h (21*) Diamana blue shaft Irons Pro M (3-PW), Rifle 5.0 shafts Wedges KZG TRS (52* +...

I can rule 'em out by feel first. Too hard or too soft and they are off my "list". This is especially true off the putter.

Next thing I'm looking for is spin. I want a ball that will drop and stop.

Good distance is the next factor. I'm not a freak about it....just don't want to loose too much over the "distance" ball players.

Price is an issue. My average loss is one ball per round. Due to this, I'd rather not spend over $30 a dozen.

Trajectory enhancement is a final factor. I prefer a higher traj. from my ball as I'm a mid-to-low ball hitter. The combination works and is accurate for me.

All of these factors are being met for me in the two balls in my sig line. They perform very close for me and the Noodle is being had at a great price right now.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I am a person who plays different balls based on course and weather conditions. My general rules of thumb for choosing a ball are as follows:

Cost - I refuse to play a $45 ball
Feel - I like a ball that doesn't feel like a rock but also isn't 'mushy'
Ball Flight - I tend to hit the ball high with all clubs so I like a little lower trajectory, but this also depends on course/weather conditions

Then I look at the course and weather conditions and decide which one to play.

Long course - obviously looking for ball that will run a bit more (lower trajectory)
Short course - higher ball flight
Course soft - spin is of less concern so I'll look for a longer ball
Course firm - looking for more spin around green, so I'll sacrifice length for spin
Windy - low trajectory ball
Cold - lower compression ball
Course and Weather Perfect - pick my favorite ball that has best of everything

I always carry a dozen balls that fit each of these criteria. For the most part that consists of 3 balls:
Bridgestone e7+ for lower ball flight and long but still has softer feel (the ball I play the most now)
Bridgestone e5+ higher ball flight and spin
Wilson Zip - low compression but great feel
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I am working through which ball to use this season. I am a slow swinger 80-85 mph, who has just replaced a 45 inch 10.5 degree driver with a 44 inch 13.5 degree driver, to optimize carry distance and to generate more backspin/less sidespin.

Last year I played DT Roll, DT Carry, Nike Juice, Calloway HX HOT.

The DT Carry and Juice gave me nice height and nice distance when I teed them up high, but they would often slice a great deal. the DT Roll and HX Hot were also similar they were much lower launching, probably a tad slower but straighter. They both felt rather dead of the driver face, i.e. I felt that I had to push them off the face as opposed to them jumping off the face, this was more apparent with the HX Hot.

I've done research lately and found the following compressions

HX Hot 80
e5+ 75
DT Roll 70
DT Carry 60
e6+ 55

I think these numbers might explain how the balls felt off the driver.

With the new Ping driver I have, I am wondering which choice will be better this year, will the higher loft and shorter shaft straighten out the DT Carry, or will it balloon, Will the DT Roll or the HX Hot work better with the higher launch, or would the low compression, supposedly straigher e6+ be the best, as I suspect.

HB

G10 Draw 13.5* 44 " Driver
K15 7 Wood
G10 28* 5 Hybrid
G10 orange dot 6I -PW
Tour W 56* SW 1/2 Craz-e i series putter 4 Under Stand Bag

A ball that spins a lot is only good for your game if you have good "ball striking" skills. If you can't strike the ball in such a manner as to create the desired amount of spin, then more spin will hurt more than it helps. If you impart undesired side spin on the ball, then a ball, like a ProV, will hook and slice more.

After much field testing... I get the best results with a ball that spins less and therefore releases when hit low and tends to stay where it lands when hit high. When I played ProVs I'd get some impressive back spin, but seldom knew when it would appear. I now give up some potential for fading or drawing the ball as much, but on balance a low spin (and cheaper) ball provides better results.

I generally play courses with softer greens so even Pinnacle CLR (which I get for <$10 a doz.) or a Top Flite works fine. These balls are a half-club longer than a ProV and back up 1-2 feet when hit in with a mid-iron. If I am playing harder, faster greens I might play a Callaway iX.

Experiment with different balls and go with what provides the best net results . Keep your ego in check. In windy, dark conditions a couple of weeks ago, I beat the crap out of some guys with a yellow ball with Sponge Bob on it. They are still freaked out by that.

SubPar

IMO, for a high-handicapper who doesnt hit solid shots (hooking or slicing), a premium ball isnt really the best option.
A ball that is designed for a lot of spin is only going to amplify a hook or slice.
Me personally, I dont always hit the straightest shots in the world (I battle a slice sometimes), so I like golfballs like the Bridgestone E6+ and Precept Distance iQ 180; both of which are designed to reduce sidespin.
Also, I dont think that premium balls are good for high-handicappers and amateur golfers because they cost a considerably amount of distance off the tee because they are designed for pros who have higher swingspeeds than do us weekend golfers.
Beyond that, for me I just try a golfball Im considering and if it works well for me, it will earn a place in my bag.
Theres golfballs that I like, which Im sure others think are absolute junk and there are other golfbals that I hate, which others love. For example, the TM/Maxfli Noodle/Noddle+. I absolutely HATE that ball. Its too clicky, feels like you are hitting a rock (doesnt compress) and for me just doesnt perform well. Others constantly rave about that ball.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I was going to make a similar post so sorry if I hijack this one.

But what would you guys suggest for a 90 mph driver ss, with a spin that averages 3800?
I also average about a 16 degree launch angle and a total carry of about 215ish if that helps any.
Any suggestions are appreciated (cost is not a factor).
I was looking to be a little longer off the tee and the guy at Dick's said the Nike Karma (I currently play) had too much compression.

What's in my sweet Sun Mountain Bag
Driver: 10.5 SuperQuad
3-Wood: Burner
5-Wood: G10
Hybrids: 23 26 Gold Pro Irons: Slingshot 6-A Wedge: 54 & 58 Scratch  Putter: White Ice #1 Gotta have balls: Vapor

Callaway HX Hot.

R7 Limited Patriot 9.5º
Sasquatch 15º
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 20º
Tour Preferred Irons 4-PW
Z Smoke TP 52º SV Tour Black Satin 56º Rossa Core Classics Fontana One Tour

I'd agree. The extra ss would make this a good fit for you

G10 Draw 13.5* 44 " Driver
K15 7 Wood
G10 28* 5 Hybrid
G10 orange dot 6I -PW
Tour W 56* SW 1/2 Craz-e i series putter 4 Under Stand Bag

The Srixon AD333 is designed for 85+ mph swing speeds, the new Nike One Vapour for 80+ mph swing speeds. Give those a try.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

• 1 month later...
I am trying to deceide what ball to use myself. Has anyone used the launch monitor at a golf store to help them narrow down the options?

A question for the numerous experience and people here;

I fade with my driver, draw my irons, when I rush or try to over swing. I am working on my short game because I am reworking my game from the green to the tee. Any suggestions on which balls to look?

What I want from a ball:
I want it to check on firm greens.
I do not want it to over-pronounce my fade/draw into bigger problems.
I like my current ball flight which is mid-high depending on the club.

What I do know about my swing:
Ball speed: 135mph avg
Driver distance: 255yrd avg

The launch monitor at the golf store doesn't report on the swing speed.

Thanks for any help

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

Being newish to the game again right now for me it's based on cost. I still lose too many balls still to see $4 balls go flying into the water :)

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

Being newish to the game again right now for me it's based on cost. I still lose too many balls still to see $4 balls go flying into the water :)

I agree its too early in the year for me and the grounds too muddy to justify using a nice fall, ball the old top flights are coming out of my closet till it warms up in april, theres still snow on the ground here :o

I couldnt help noticing ANOTHER CANADIAN And in B.C. Too? We're slowly taking over..I like it..

Note: This thread is 5530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!