IGNORED

How do YOU feel about not being able to walk on the weekends (assuming it's a rule)

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont think I have ever been in a cart in Scotland. I know we have them in some courses. In my opinion they are a waste of time, unless your not fit enough or its 10000000 degrees then you should walk..

Golf is no more a sport than dart without a little athletism in the walking haha.

But really its more fun to walk....

Unless you are playing around a bunch of single-digit handicap golfers, carts definatly speed up the game...

Again, the often repeated misconception. While there are some situations where a cart can speed the game, in MOST cases, carts DO NOT speed the game, nor does walking slow the game, and in MANY cases carts actually SLOW the game.

Again, the often repeated misconception. While there are some situations where a cart can speed the game, in MOST cases, carts DO NOT speed the game, nor does walking slow the game, and in MANY cases carts actually SLOW the game.

If all the golfers in your group pay attention to what they are doing, stay active while others are setting up theri shots and/or hitting (ie. not just sitting in the cart doing nothing), and don't take forever while on the putting green, cart FOR SURE speed up the game simply because they greatly reduce the time spent walking between shots, looking for lost balls (everyone in the group would have to walk to their own ball and then walk over to look in the area where the lost ball is, or vice versa), and traveling between holes.

In general, slow play has a lot to do with how long people take to set up their shots and how long they take putting out on the green. I think many people are under the misconception that because they by themselves play quickly while walking that everyone else does. That simply is not the case at all. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather walk anyday over riding, but I've seen how slow groups of wlakers can be when the time they waste could be reduced by riding instead.

If all the golfers in your group pay attention to what they are doing, stay active while others are setting up theri shots and/or hitting (ie. not just sitting in the cart doing nothing), and don't take forever while on the putting green, cart FOR SURE speed up the game simply because they greatly reduce the time spent walking between shots, looking for lost balls (everyone in the group would have to walk to their own ball and then walk over to look in the area where the lost ball is, or vice versa), and traveling between holes.

I must add one thing to your "if" scenario to make it possible for carts to be faster. If the course is open ahead. Otherwise, on a course crowded by the normal weekend play, carts are no faster because you can only go as fast as the group ahead.

In general, slow play has a lot to do with how long people take to set up their shots and how long they take putting out on the green. I think many people are under the misconception that because they by themselves play quickly while walking that everyone else does. That simply is not the case at all.

And conversely, riders who play by themselves and play quickly may think that everyone else does. I've seen groups of riders that waste time and slow the pace due to unawareness.

Slow golfers cause slow play. Simply. Slow golfers can be riders or walkers. That's why I say a simple statement that "riding speeds play" cannot be made.

I don't think the argument is carts vs walking. I think slow play is a mentality. People who are slow are probably those who don't have their ticket or id ready at the airline/movie/shopping counter. They don't think two, three steps ahead of what will happen. I understand golf is a leisure activity but leisure is lost when constantly waiting.

Perhaps its a cultural thing and this is probably anecdotal, but in the UK, I notice people consciously thought about keeping pace, taking a look back, more than they do in the US.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I must add one thing to your "if" scenario to make it possible for carts to be faster. If the course is open ahead. Otherwise, on a course crowded by the normal weekend play, carts are no faster because you can only go as fast as the group ahead.

You can't go any faster than the group ahead of you, but what your missing is that it's speeding up the group of duffers three groups ahead of you.

Most of the discussion on here is assuming that everyone on the golf course an avid golfer like we all are. The hackers that are slowing up the course don't apply to the "walking is just as fast" arguement. For most players, I can see the point, but for those that clog up the course for the rest of us, riding is definatly faster.
And conversely, riders who play by themselves and play quickly may think that everyone else does. I've seen groups of riders that waste time and slow the pace due to unawareness. Slow golfers cause slow play. Simply. Slow golfers can be riders or walkers. That's why I say a simple statement that "riding speeds play" cannot be made.

YOu make a very good point; the choice between walking and riding does not determine pace of play. So many other factors come into play. There will be situations where walking will be faster. For the average golfer on the average course during an average weekend, more often than not riding is still faster.

You can't go any faster than the group ahead of you, but what your missing is that it's speeding up the group of duffers three groups ahead of you.

From my experience, these clueless and slow newbies along with the three-times-per-year recreational golfers that like to pound a few brewskys are the least likely to be walking and putting them in a cart DOES NOT make them faster. Despite your continued assertion, I think it mostly makes them SLOWER.

...For the average golfer on the average course during an average weekend, more often than not riding is still faster.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.

In the town I attend college at, the courses don't allow walking on the weekends. Back home, they do.

I am with you... also hate the way many new courses are designed around a housing development with rediculous distances between holes. I much prefer walking and like you I now live in an area where carts are mandatory at least part of the time at most courses.

You should try Vegas where your not allowed to walk anywhere at anytime.

Vegas is a total bullshit area to golf if you LIVE there! High prices, mandatory carts, etc.

I would also get very tired of desert courses.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

i feel rushed when i'm riding in a cart. like i'll hit my ball, run back into the cart, hit my ball, run back. i like walking because it gives me more time to think about my upcoming shot.

I have never looked at it that way but that is very true, IMO

From my experience, these clueless and slow newbies along with the three-times-per-year recreational golfers that like to pound a few brewskys are the least likely to be walking and putting them in a cart DOES NOT make them faster. Despite your continued assertion, I think it mostly makes them SLOWER.

I was thinking about this subject last night, and I think I found a decent analogy to what I'm trying to get across. I'm a huge gear head. I love anything and everyhting that has to do with cars and racing. Most car guys wouldn't drive anything other than a manual transmission. The reasons range from that you feel more connected to the car, you have more control over it's actions, and most of all (at least in most cases) a manual is a bit faster than an automatic. That being said, it'll only be faster if someone that knows how to drive it correctly. If not, an automatic transmission will almost always be faster for the everyday driver. The automatic is also more convenient and allows the less-experienced driver a greater level of enjoyment for what they want to get out of it. Translate this to golf. The manual is walking and the automatic is riding. For the average hacker, walking won't speed up the game and if anything will slow them down. I can understand how, if done correctly, wlaking can and will be faster, but you are aonly looking at this through the eyes of an avid gofler that understands the subject and not through the eyes of your "three-times-a-year" golfer.

The club I used to belong to had the same foursome that teed off first every Saturday. They made it around in 3 hours no problem, walking. They played their games, talked to each other but moved it along. Guys with carts playing behind them had toruble keeping up.

If you want to walk, then you should be able to do so. It is the clubs job to keep play moving and if you are walking and falling behind, then they can say something.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Its my experience that most slowplay is caused by work tournaments, bachelor groups etc, not by walkers.

HB

G10 Draw 13.5* 44 " Driver
K15 7 Wood
G10 28* 5 Hybrid
G10 orange dot 6I -PW
Tour W 56* SW 1/2 Craz-e i series putter 4 Under Stand Bag

Its my experience that most slowplay is caused by work tournaments, bachelor groups etc, not by walkers.

Absolutely, and they always have to schedule them for first thing Saturday morning!! That is one of the reasons why I always play during the week. I know that everyone doesn’t have the flexibility to play whenever they want to as I, but none the less it is a pain in the butt to get behind a big group that cares nothing about proper golf etiquette.

Another issue is that walkers usually do not carry sand to refill divots where that practice is done so those Bermuda courses gets pretty ugly if there are too many walkers. I think if the distance between the holes is long carts speed up the game, but on the course in play there is no difference. Clubs push the carts to make money.

Actually both clubs I belonged to down South encouraged walkers to take the sand bottles to refill their divots. Worked out fairly well. In my experience, slow play has everything to do with people being clueless, regardless of driving a cart or walking.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

As metioned, carts are a huge revenue generator for courses. That's why they're enforced.

I prefer to walk. I have two exceptions though. Most mountain courses and courses with a lot of distance between each hole. I played on last year that I swear was a 10 min cart ride from the green to the next tee.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!