IGNORED

Hello from the "home of golf,"

Pablo McGheesio
Note: This thread is 5553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

The names Paul and I do believe I am the luckiest golfer in the world haha....

I am from sunny Glasgow. My parents own a house in St Andrews, now out of pure chance my bills and driving license say I stay there. This allows me to claim resident status and pay a measly £130 per year to play every course in the Links trust for nothing. Honestly It was just chance hahaha.

I try and go up several times over the holiday period every year, its honeslty the greatest thing ever being able to play the Old course for free. I once played it twice in one week with a game on the New course in between. It is a joy to walk the links, no matter what anyone tells me the Old is the greatest experience a golfer can have.

I am also a member of a private club called The East Kilbride Golf club, its a good course. Nice condition but can be very windy.

I am starting to love golf again after a couple of years away.

I think I hate you...

I would love to take a trip to UK and spend about a month playing across Scotland and Ireland, watch The Open Championship live and watch tennis at Wimbeldon. Most of my regular golf partners are from UK (3 from England and 1 from Wales) and we have been talking about making that trip in the next few years (although I doubt we'll spend a full month there since I don't think we'll be able to play The Old Course for free like some...)

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I would really advise playing the New course if you were making a trip as well. From a technical standpoint it is the better of the two courses. The jubilee is not a as good but far from a bad course. Obviously the Old stirs up emotion, standing on the first tee is magical....there is always a little crowd on sunny day.

I am very proud to be from the home of golf, for a small country we have some great courses.....its definatly worth a pilgramege to golfs Mecca.

Hello Paul.

I agree....you are perhaps one of the luckiest golfers in the world!!!!!

Sounds like an outstanding arrangement.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Hello Paul.

I think his arrangement is about like you having unlimited access to Augusta National for $250 a year (instead of the $10,000 or whatever it is now).
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

welcome, and wow, that's absolutely the best perk for having a city on your driving license I've ever heard of!

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In actual fact its the standard fee people from St Andrews pay. The courses are owned by the town, the Links trust run the courses and they are a not-for-profit organisation.

I physicaly dont stay there but my parents have a home, so my paper work does as I stayed there while at univeristy. Up untill I was 18 it was free, now I have to pay a small fee.

I also get points that I can use to get friends onto the courses free or at a discount.

Its fantastic, I wish I had more time to go up and play.

I also get points that I can use to get friends onto the courses free or at a discount.

I think I'd like to be your friend...

I think his arrangement is about like you having unlimited access to Augusta National for $250 a year (instead of the $10,000 or whatever it is now).

Funny place, The National.....it's not about the money. They've turned down some of the wealthiest men in the world for membership.....

I should try to get on the worklist and see if I can marshall or work at the Masters. I believe your payment for doing so is still a round at the course during the employee/media appreciation day. It takes some work, but there are many locals who have played it this way. I would feel like I was violating nature by carving out my divots with my 'tater digging swing. Methinks that I'd get over said violation and enjoy the heck out of the round. Rumor is that you are turned loose with a....gasp....golf cart and plenty of beer. That is an unreal concept. I've read about simular arrangements as Pablo's in recent golf mags. What a wonderful place to grow up golfing....the true Home of Golf. Residency has it's benefits!!!
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

You want to know another decent perk of having a St Andrews Links trust bag tag. When abroad, espacialy in the US, you can totaly chance some discounts or tee times at courses.

I got on Celebration in Florida a while ago, the guy tried to claim the course was based on the old course.....I shown him my bag tag, I got a tee time to compare them..haha....its nothing like the old course..

Still cant complain.

• 2 weeks later...
You are indeed very very lucky and I'm not jealous honest.

When I was 14 I was lucky enough to spend a week in St Andrews as part of a school trip. Its an amazing place and I'd love to go back one day.

Note: This thread is 5553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!