IGNORED

Favorite public courses

Kcas77
Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are your favorite public courses in your state.

In Massachusetts mine are :
Cranberry Valley
Red Tail
Blackstone National
Olde Barnstable Fairgrounds
Olde Scotland Links
Farm Neck

I regularly play in four states. These are not the 'best' courses necessarily (though most have received good reviews and ratings from Golf Digest and others), but they are courses I just really enjoy playing.

Ohio:
Cook's Creek (Columbus)
Yankee Trace (Dayton)
Windy Knoll (Springfield)
Stonelick Hills (Cincinnati)

Kentucky:
Old Silo (Mt. Sterling)
Hidden Cove at Grayson Lake (Grayson)
Kearney Hills (Lexington)

West Virginia:
The Raven at Snowshoe Mountain (Snowshoe)
The Palmer Course at Stonewall Resort (Roanoke)

Indiana:
Links at Grand Victoria (Rising Sun)
Buck Point (Brookville)
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I live in the greater Kansas City area and play in Kansas and Missouri.

Kansas:
Tomahawk
Auburn Hills
McDonald
Sand Creek Station

Missouri:
Swope
Shoal Creek

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Michigan-
Faulkwood Shores- Great prices
Huron Meadows
Stonebridge.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Must start the post with a tribute to Sleepy Hollow golf course
Sleepy Hollow, conveniently located half way between Parkland and the VA, was the perfect sanctuary during Med School and Residency. It didn't matter if your golf buddy as at the VA, Parkland, or Baylor; you could always meet at Sleepy.
Sleepy Hollow died December 2003 and it was a sad day.
http://news.google.com/archivesearch...04254012970893

Courses I love to play DFW area (no particular order)

The Tribute-just like baby bear's oatmeal. Just right. I don't know how they keep the greens so moist, even in the summer.

Texas Star-Perfect course, perfect greens.

Keeton Park-even in the midst of a Texas drought, because the course is so low laying, it retains moisture. PS don't play after a rain

Westridge- 6 par 5s, 4s, and 3s. Might appear gimmicky, but it works. Don't know why more courses aren't designed in this manner

Coyote Ridge-that Sam Moon guy spent the money in all the right places (Jerry take note--all that glitters is not gold)

Tenison Highlands and East course-rarely crowded. Independent self employed individuals finding golf balls for you.

Cedar Crest-Great renovation by D.A. Weibring in 2004. Love the history here. It is also close to Wingfield's--Dallas Best Burger(call your order in 30minutes prior to getting there)

Anywhere with my Dad or good friends.

Country View in Lancaster-gets better evey year. Love the course, hate the drive (from where I'm at now)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

In the Vancouver, BC area, my 3 favourite fully public courses;

1) Fraserview
2) Riverway
3) University Golf Club

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Sharp Park, Pacifica, CA
Harding Park, San Francisco, CA
Crystal Spring, Burlingame, CA
Palo Alto Golf Course, Palo Alto, CA
Popular Creek, San Mateo, CA

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I know there are numerous fine public courses in the state north of me that I haven't played that would probably be in my list. For the sake of this, I will stick with the best public courses, in my opinion, within 50 square miles of where I live in Ohio.

This is my top 10, in order:

1. Stonelick Hills
2. Heatherwoode
3. Shaker Run
4. Elks Run
5. Yankee Trace
6. Walden Pond
7. Beavercreek
8. Moss Creek
9. Vineyard
10. Weatherwax

Kansas:
1. Colbert Hills (Manhattan)
2. Buffalo Dunes (Garden City)
3. Sycamore Ridge (Spring Hill (KC area))
4. Sand Creek Station (Newton)

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

While I definetly havent played ever public course in my area, my favorite so far is the one that I play almost every week: Oak Ridge and Bonnie Meade in Milton, WI.
Bonnie Meade is probably my favorite because its a links-style course and Oak Ridge is interesting because it has a lot of elevated greens, so it makes shot selection kinda tricky.
Also, those courses are fairly inexpensive ($14 for 9 holes) and they dont require a tee time, so any time I want I can load my clubs up in the truck and play a quick 9 after work or on the weekends or whever I want.
Im kind of a links course junkie (I love those kind of courses) and Id love to play Whistling Straights sometime, but the greens fees there are bit out of my price range right now.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

In mid-Michigan I would say:
Groesbeck Municipal Golf Course - Lansing, MI
Cascades Golf Course - Jackson, MI
Binder Park Muncipal Golf Course - Battle Creek, MI

Red Tail
Ballymeade
Pine Hills
Crumpin Fox

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

In mid-Michigan I would say:

Hey next time you come to michigan make sure you try and play the Grande(a 4 star in Golf Digest) Calderone farms(a links layout) and a little bit east in chelsea is Pierce lake these courses make cascade look very boring.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

I know there are numerous fine public courses in the state north of me that I haven't played that would probably be in my list. For the sake of this, I will stick with the best public courses, in my opinion, within 50 square miles of where I live in Ohio.

Yes, you are very right I played with a couple of guys from Ohio that we're here this past summer you should take the trip for a weekend and come play, depending on where you are I;m only 2 hrs from cedar pointe so a 2 hr drive and we've got some good ones in south central michigan that will definatley impress you and at the very least will be worth the drive.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

Note: This thread is 5561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!