IGNORED

Tiger and Steroids

Smhockey
Note: This thread is 5525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think it's completely fair to ask whether there's steroids/etc in golf. My guess is yes, given the number of people on the tour, odds are that some pro golfers use or have used steroids. It's clear that athletes in other sports are turning to these things and, despite the tradition of honesty and integrity of the game, I don't believe for a moment that golfers are uniformly enough more honest and honorable than athletes in other sports to escape this problem.

That said, I think it's ridiculous to do any more than muse about the effects that steroids might have on one's game. Without specific information, all you've got is wild guesses about who's using what. If an athlete is linked with someone who's busted for 'roids, then you're on to something. If they're just good... you just don't know.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you high? Arnold didn't use steroids? Seriously?

HAHA now that's funny. Arnold didn't use steriods LMAO.. Of course he did and he admitted it, but they werent illegal in those days so really it is totally different.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I also think that there may be steriod use in golf but not very much I would guess. I think that it is a sport that takes way more skill than strength and if you have the skill you dont need the strength and if you dont have the skill then all the strength in the world aint gunna help.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

HAHA now that's funny. Arnold didn't use steriods LMAO.. Of course he did and he admitted it, but they werent illegal in those days so really it is totally different.

Even today competitive boby building doesn't test its athletes like it should. Tests before contests, if there are any at all, are generally scheduled well in advance, allowing contestants to cycle on and off. I guess its only illeagal if your caught?

Possession of a

prescription only drug without a prescription is illegal and was when Arnold competed. The contests werent drug tested but that has long been the case in bodybuilding circles. Anabolic steroids are used for the treatment of various medical conditions. There use in sports, particularly where strength and power are key factors is, and has long been, widespread. Their ability to hasten recovery and increase protein anabolism is well documented as is their powerful anti-inflammatory effect. History will show that it was/is the athlete(s) lacking the genetic advantage of there more gifted rival that resorts to using substances such as Steroids, HGH etc to try and gain an advantage. As a consequence we are now in the unfortunate situation of questioning the ability/appearance of the naturally gifted athlete. In my opinion, Tiger is too smart/ethical/principled and has way way too much to lose by taking any artificial substances to aid in his performance or recovery from injury. Drug testing in golf is, unfortunately, a necessary evil in todays sporting contests where such vast amounts of money are on offer.

First off: Steroids don't just make you a bulked up muscle head. They make you quicker and stronger while having the same muscle mass. But while muscle is broken down it will recover faster and rejuvenate which is where the more muscle is built. AND YES, They can give you better hand-eye coordination and better physical abilities beyond being a muscle head.

I graduated High School weighing 155-160lbs. I was 6' but very lean. While I got older and worked out with a proper diet I got to 180 by the time I was 21. I look at Tiger now and he Physically is where I was in my 20's to 30's with just a proper diet and working out. Actually I was a bit more muscular (Family genetics, I am the runt of a family of Wrestlers and Football). Now, he works out more than I did, but he has a better Trainer than I could ever afford.
I highly doubt he would risk doing RoiDS. He could easily get to where he is physically and he's the Best Golfer because of his mental control. It all starts up there.

A great discussion. I have long had my doubts. Several baseball fans have weighed in.
One name I haven't seen is Roiger Clemoids. It's too bad, becasue he is like tiger.
He worked really hard and was a great player. He didn't need steroids to be great, but his huge ego [like AROid] got in the way.

Look at baseball. How many guys before the steroid era hit 50 HR's in a season ?
All of sudden guys are hitting 60 and 70 with frequency. Look at the freak that used to play for SF ?

Don't you think the top athletes in the sport are all pretty even in ability ?
How much difference is there from one man to the next ?

Then all of a sudden someone comes along and otudrives them by a huge margin ?

Granted there are a number variables in golf. Most golfers aren't very athletic, compared to other sports. The variation and advance in equipment, ect.

Like one of the earlier posts, I'd be curious to see how much his hat size changed.
You can work out all you want but there is no exercise to grow your head size !

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

I don't mind crazy theories or anything...I just don't like the thought of the 'if you work hard, you won't do steroids' theory.

I would reword it to say 'If you work hard, you shouldn't have a reason to take performance enhancing drugs.' It's the sole reason we would even discuss it in the first place because we all know that ANYTHING is possible.

FWIW, I believe Tiger was one of the first on tour to push for regular testing anyway.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

First off: Steroids don't just make you a bulked up muscle head. They make you quicker and stronger while having the same muscle mass. But while muscle is broken down it will recover faster and rejuvenate which is where the more muscle is built. AND YES, They can give you better hand-eye coordination and better physical abilities beyond being a muscle head.

I'm somewhat sure that at a certain point muscle mass (weight) limits your flexibility, quickness, and speed. I don't really know how steroids could give you better hand-eye coordination though...could someone explain.

Here's what I've been told: The brain isn't a muscle. Steroids possitively affect muscles. Brain isn't possitively affected by steroids. I just need some clarification on how steroids would possitively affect the brain.
Several baseball fans have weighed in.

I think many people are missing

why baseball players did steroids. Bonds supposidly did roids to make as much money as McGuire and Sosa. AROD did steroids to make more money and to live up to the 'hype'. (The Yankees paid him more money because of his performance in Texas that was affected by roids.) I'm not sure why Clemens did roids, but a common theme in baseball seems to be cheating to make more money. Seems like greed, not an ego thing. (Roy Oswalt, I think it was, came out and said that if guys had been playing fairly like he's done his whole career [he's clean], then he would have made more money. Everyone who did roids would be at a lower level and Oswalt would have been comparitively better than he was. So it's more about money.) Some philosopher wrote that all humans are inherently greedy. Golfers are too and IMO are just as likely to cheat to get more money.
Look at baseball. How many guys before the steroid era hit 50 HR's in a season ?

Enough. Griffey, Belle, Ruth, Marris, Fox was close...it really depends on when you think the steroids era started. That's a discussion for another time though.

Don't you think the top athletes in the sport are all pretty even in ability ?

No and a lot. 'Worst' player in a professional sports league compared to the 'best' player in a professional sports league. There are huge differences.

Then all of a sudden someone comes along and otudrives them by a huge margin ?

He was better. He had a swing meant to hit it long. And he didn't hit it that much farther with his driver. Daly was the longest driver at the time. Tiger was about 6 yards longer than #3. Last year, Bubba was almost 5 yards longer than #2 if I recall.

Like one of the earlier posts, I'd be curious to see how much his hat size changed.

He gets fitted hats so it shouldn't be that hard to find out. Is it really a reliable test for roids though? Or is it more of a "wives-tale?" I really don't know, so you tell me.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

^^^
albert belle was a roided up freak.

as for tiger, his conditioning isnt all that over the top. that type of body can be easily had in a span of 10 years thru good diet and excercise.

as for hand eye coordination, roids could help the eye focus faster on a moving target. not so much an issue in golf but def in baseball.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mark my word!!!! Tiger is on steroids and there is nothing you can do about it! Your God that you pray to everynight is actually cheating you and this world of true athleticism! No testing in golf!!!! Because if Tiger got caught the whole golfing community would not only ends their lives as we know it, but the PGA would lose billions of dollars because Tiger Jesus was no longer known as the Holy One! I cant wait for the day when one of his most trustworthy confidants spills his bag full of @$*% he has been laying out of every golfer in the world! Then I can sit back and laugh at all the idiots who have had their lips permanently planted on his anus for the last 10 years! Think about it and quit being so naive!

Mark my word!!!! Tiger is on steroids and there is nothing you can do about it! Your God that you pray to everynight is actually cheating you and this world of true athleticism! No testing in golf!!!! Because if Tiger got caught the whole golfing community would not only ends their lives as we know it, but the PGA would lose billions of dollars because Tiger Jesus was no longer known as the Holy One! I cant wait for the day when one of his most trustworthy confidants spills his bag full of @$*% he has been laying out of every golfer in the world! Then I can sit back and laugh at all the idiots who have had their lips permanently planted on his anus for the last 10 years! Think about it and quit being so naive!

That is quite the entrance... Welcome to The Sand Trap.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

Wow... you're pretty brave... but then again it's pretty easy to hide behind a computer screen. Welcome to the Forum.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

This isn't brave, it's completely moronic.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Oh Geez

Well I guess someone was going to say it at some point.

What's in my Nike Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag:

L4V 9.5F Driver
909F2 13.5* VooDoo Stiff Flex Shaft
VR Forged Split Cavity 3-PW Custom Newport 2.6 Vokey Spin Milled 56.11 Wedge 60.10 SV Tour Wedge Diablo Golf Balls / ZIP Golf Balls SG 2.5

Mark my word!!!!

Wow 4 exclamation points? I bet you feel special.
Tiger is on steroids and there is nothing you can do about it!

No hes not your a dumbass. Proof please?
Your God that you pray to everynight is actually cheating you and this world of true athleticism!

Im an athiest but nice try.
No testing in golf!!!!

Do i even need to say anything about this idiotic comment?
Because if Tiger got caught the whole golfing community would not only ends their lives as we know it, but the PGA would lose billions of dollars because Tiger Jesus was no longer known as the Holy One!

Actually i lied im not an athiest i do pray to "Tiger Jesus" everynight. it generally goes something like this: "dear tiger jesus can you please make me able to hit 40 foot putts, ok thanks Tiger Jesus ttyl
I cant wait for the day when one of his most trustworthy confidants spills his bag full of @$*% he has been laying out of every golfer in the world!

If Tiger has been "laying out every golfer in the world" and you have not been "laid out" like the rest of us, that would mean you werent a golfer Hence you should leave this forum and comeback once your out of your huggies/become a golfer.
Then I can sit back and laugh at all the idiots who have had their lips permanently planted on his anus for the last 10 years!

Thats quite a vivid image, did you learn the word anus from another naughty boy in preschool? Stop using the word IDIOT you might not realize it but its a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Think about it and quit being so naive

Your right, just because i dont assume the top professional athlete has used steroids without proof im obviously very naive. By the way, that was a quality first post im not going to lie.

• Administrator
stop feeding the troll.

Seriously. Guy made one post.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!