IGNORED

Are you really good enough to play your equipment

Note: This thread is 5530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Within the past two weeks I've traded my players cavity Cleveland CG2s in regular flex TT DG for Mizuno MX-23s in...wait for it...LITE flex graphite. Then I pulled the G5 driver with a stiff V2 out of the bag for my ancient 3 wood with stock, regular flex graphite. I've played one full round with no driver and these irons. On the back 9 I hit 7 GIRs in a row (11-17) for a 39. The most GIRs I've ever had on 9 holes was 6. I grabbed 7 in a row! I had 3 or 4 range sessions with the new irons first to learn how they hit.

I agree I got rid of my old titleist 990's and went with the mx 25's however I wished I would have gotten a mixed set and then had the clubs bent to match the lofts, the 3,4,5 iron in the mx line i just don't hink you can go wrong with them but I would like to have mp 57's for the 6-9 iron and then mp-t series for the wedges.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread sounds oh so familiar.

This winter I set out to improve my ball striking and get new irons. I always wanted to hit blades because they are what I started using and they are just plain beautiful. But was soooooo afraid.

However, even when my swing improved to the point at which I could stripe my MX-23 4 iron over and over, I was still afraid to even demo blades. The local pro had to convince me to give them a try. I was already going to buy a new set of irons this spring (a gift to myself for being promoted to Lieutenant Commander, active duty navy) so he wasn't just trying to get me to buy something I wasn't intending to.

After the first few swings and him telling me to just execute my normal swing and to forget about them being blades, I started to hit them really well. When my mind wasn't full of "you can't hit these" thoughts, I was able to just swing and hit them.

I was so afraid of making the leap to blades, because of all the "players" saying how difficult they are to hit, I hit the Nikes 5 days in a row and had an iron fitting at Golfer's Warehouse, before I pulled the trigger. My irrational fear was that, one day at the range could be luck. 2 days in a row could be a good groove. But, after 5 days of experiencing no more bad results than what I normally see with my Mizunos, I decided to man up and get the blades.

I fell in love with the ball flight, feel of the well struck shot, and the increased distance.

Because I am a disciple of Bobby Clampett's "The Impact Zone", he recommends blades due to the offset issue. That also played into my decision.

I say that a poor swing, no matter the club, will produce a bad result.

For 90% of the players here, they need lessons more than the next GI club.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Before I took lessons, I played the same irons as you but I had MP-32s lying around in my house. I was wrapped up in the whole "forgiving" and "only single-digits should play blades" philosophies. One day, my dad told my instructor that I had 32s in the house. My instructor questioned why I did not play them and I told him they were not forgiving. He told me "forgiving is crap" and went on to say that all of his aspiring junior golfers played blade-like irons. So from then on, I was forced to play blades. Well, it's been a year now and my handicap dropped by 4. My iron play is one of the best parts of my game too. I know many people would disagree with this strategy, but IMO, the best way to improve your game is to buy those AP2s and just force yourself to stick with them until you start puring your irons.

This year it's the AP2s. I really, really, really, want to buy a set, but I have this thought in my head - you aren't a single digit HCP, so you can't play those irons.

Not true. All you have to do is be able to hit the ball in the center of the club. I know plenty of guys that strike the ball well they just have the face open or closed at impact and their short game sucks. That is why they can't score.

So how many of you play equipment that is designed for players who shoot lowers scores than you do?

I think mine are about right for my skill level.

How did you justify your purchase?

I liked them the best out of all the different types I tired.

Do you ever wish you had more forgiving equipment?

Only when I hit one off the toe.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

ok, it all comes down to this for you: can you hit your irons well enough? I was playing tommy armours (GI) this summer, and (i consider irons to be a strong point in my golf game) i was the only junior player at my country club who could actually hit a 3 and 4 iron. As a present for my birthday, (and for making varsity golf as an 8th grader), my parents got me fitted by my pro for some new irons. It ended up being the mizuno's in my sig. After about a wekk of everyday after school on the range, i could easily hit all the irons in the set. i was about a 6 handicap then, but the new irons got me to where my handicap is now. I am very happy with them, and i didnt think that i would be. If you do go ahead and purchase "player's" irons, make sure that you get fit. I know that shaft played a big role in it with me. hope this helps
~Chris

In my vaporlite carry bag
DRIVER ft-5. 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard 73 X-stiff
FWY WOOD: 980F 15 EI-70 X Stiff
Hybrid: Burner tour launch 4 hybrid
IRONS mp-57 4-pw with project x 6.5 shaftsPUTTER: Rossa Classic AGSI+ Monte Carlo WEDGES vokey spin milled oil can 52.08, 58.12Niblick 42*

I will go out on a limb and say hit what you want to hit. I dont believe equipment changes things that much. True, a pressimon driver and a balata ball vs. titanium and a pro V1, thats 20+ yards difference.

I'll give Stuart Appleby the set of clubs my grandfather used in his 20's, and the head pro at your local course can play the best clubs that 5 grand will get him. Who would you put your money on?

Go get the AP2's...if you think you'll hit them better, you will. To quote Crash Davis from the movie Bull Durham "...if a man thinks he's winning because he's wearing womens under wear, then he is...".

-Beane

I'm going to agree with alot of you, and say that it doesn't necessarily matter what clubs you're using. I played five days in a row last summer and used my old Eye 2s on Monday, my ISIs on Tuesday, my i3 blades on Wednesday, my i5s on Thursday and my s59s on Friday. All rounds were within four strokes of eachother.

That being said, I've since sold the Eye2s and i5s. I'm planning to buy either MP-57s, MP-52s, or AP2s. I've hit all of them, and loved them all. If I can ever decide which set to pull the trigger on (and what shafts to get), I'll feel "good enough" to play them - and that's all that really matters.

Last year I had a couple of low rounds of 70 (two under) and a high round of 95 (with a crap-load of errant drives and lost balls). On the former I was good enough to play anything, and on the latter - well, it didn't really matter.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Some people would say that Mizuno wedges shouldnt be used by a 20-handicapper such as myself, but I hit them well.
If you want AP2s, buy them. Dont worry about what people might think about how your game might not be good enough for a, "player's" iron. Buy what you like and be happy.
IMO, there are very, very few people in the world who are really good enough to hit blades well, but a lot of people play them and are very happy with them.
I personally dont think that ANYONE but the top 10 golfers in the world have enough game to hit blades, but if someone wants blades, I say more power to 'em.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

well umm thats top 10 comment makes no sense since the next top 150 players are about .2 away in handicap. and i personally think people work blades up to be way more then they are blades arent that much harder it is and iron swing it and hit the ball. and in trems of ap2 there just as forgiving as a game improvment iron 20 handicaps can play these. it is all in the head with blades i am and 8.4 and i can hit mp 60 mp 62 titlesit zb anything it isn't that harder 10 handicap can play what they want. now your gonna ask me about the mx 19's it is all money if i had money i would buy some adams idea pro cavities but no money. I agree with most guys though there isn't any avantage in a blade over a players cavite like and mp 60

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

well umm thats top 10 comment makes no sense since the next top 150 players are about .2 away in handicap. and i personally think people work blades up to be way more then they are blades arent that much harder it is and iron swing it and hit the ball. and in trems of ap2 there just as forgiving as a game improvment iron 20 handicaps can play these. it is all in the head with blades i am and 8.4 and i can hit mp 60 mp 62 titlesit zb anything it isn't that harder 10 handicap can play what they want. now your gonna ask me about the mx 19's it is all money if i had money i would buy some adams idea pro cavities but no money. I agree with most guys though there isn't any avantage in a blade over a players cavite like and mp 60

what did ANY of that mean?

Don´t waste time with blades. If Kenny Perry use Taylormade R7 common , non TP or Rocco Mediate use X20 common's, imagine us, simply mortals.

So what. You can't go by what a company pays a player to use. And their needs are quite different than ours.

The passion from both sides stems from human nature. Blades and cavity players are committed to their choice because of different reasons, and don't want to be told that they made the wrong choice. I do feel the "you can't hit blades" mantra is way overblown. I was as afraid as anyone to demo them and after doing it, I bought them. One thing I will say is that if you intend to buy the next new GI iron set for ~$700, you game would improve a lot more if you put that money into lessons. And, then you would have the swing to hit any iron you desire instead of trying to buy a fix for a faulty swing.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

I changed from Ping Zing2's, which I'd used for 12+yrs, to AP2's last September, and wouldnt go back.

Yes they took me a few months to get used to them, partcularly the lack of offset etc, and perhaps less weight in the heads, but they are now feeling fab.

I'm off 11, and a fairly good ball striker, so go and demo an iron or 2,and see what you think. I also tried Mizuno's, and altho I didnt like them as much, in hindsight that could have ben more to do with the shafts - Dynamic Gold as opposed to the ProjectX in the AP's.

Whatever you buy, get fitted, if you are serious about improving, you cant afford not to.

In my Bag:
909D2 10.5deg DFX Stiff
WarBird 5 Wood - steel shaft.
Titleist AP2 3-PW
Vokey Spin Milled 54 & 60deg 2 Ball Ball : ProV's.

He never uses any puncuation, you ahve to put your own in. It reminds me of a sudoku.

Maybe it's time he learned how to use caps and periods then. This isn't a text message or a chat room.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

as stated before, get fitted for whatever you decide to buy. I'm a 9 cap, and love my AP2s. The weak spot in my game is my iron play, no doubt. I got fitted and switched from my Mizuno MP-60 irons with regular shafts to AP2s with DG S300 tipped one inch. It has lowered my ballflight and made me a lot more consistent (went from a sweeping hook to a little draw). We also figured out that I was 2* flat as opposed to standard in the Mizunos. It really pays to get fitted and most times doesn't cost anything when you buy a set of irons. Titleist has a nice fitting cart for the irons.

Note: This thread is 5530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!