IGNORED

Do you root for the favorite or the underdog?

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 5529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We all know that there are three basic camps among sports fans (including golf): those who root for the favorite to win; those who want to see the favorite get beat by the underdog; those who could care less. Some people have a natural tendency to see David (aka Tim Clark) beat the media darling (aka Tiger). Some people love to see superior golf (Tiger) beat ordinary golf (Tim Clark). Some people can go either way, and some do not really care---"it is only a game, after all, and not to be taken seriously like war, the economy, or death").

My natural tendency is to root for the underdog because that has been my own position most of the time in sports and now in golf. I actually do not like it when I am the Defending Champion because everyone wants to "knock me off the throne". I want to be the "People's Champion" who is supported by those who want to see the Big Guy get beat (my opponent).

So----am I rooting against Tiger at Doral? NO. Am I rooting for underdogs like Mike Weir, Zach Johnson, and the little guys? YEP. Do I care if the Goose or Vijay win? No feeling, one way or the other.

I will say this, and we all know that it is true---Tiger brings an excitement to a tournament. Some people want him to win so bad; others want him to lose. When he is not there, both sides feel "let down". Guess what? Both sides can be happy this weekend. There is no cut, so even if Tiger continues to play so-so, he will be "around for the weekend".

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

What about the fan that roots for his or her favorite player/team? Tiger is my favorite player, so I root for him. My dad likes Jesper Parnavik, so when he plays, I'll root for him as well. (There's other guys that I like, too.)

In the U.S. Open last year, I wanted to see Tiger win because he's my favorite player. If it were Sergio, Paddy, or anyone else (maybe not Jesper), I would have liked to see Rocco win. So, I guess I root for the underdog sometimes, but I am much more inclined to root for my favorite player.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I want Tiger to destroy the competition in every event.

But like the previous poster said, If it were Phil vs. the no. 875 ranked player (no idea who that is), I would want that no. 875 to clean house!!!

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• Administrator
Yet another thread that sets people up to say they dislike or root against Tiger from PEZ. Go figure.

You know, PEZ, for as much as you deify the heros of the past (not underdogs), you'd think you might extend the same feeling toward the current hero and best player by far. Having lived through the careers of some of the past greats (at least Jack), it's got a tinge of rudeness that you seem to want to deny the current generation the chance to witness history being made.

To answer the question, I root for great golf. It just happens that Tiger's usually the one playing great when he's in the field.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I root for my favorites players (or teams, as the sport may be). If one of my favorites is not competing, I root for good competition and/or the great story (such as rooting for John Daly when he won PGA Championship or Ben Crenshaw when he won second Masters). I seldom root 'against' anyone. In golf I will usually root for great play. I would love to see Tiger and Phil duel it out again at Doral like they did a few years ago (of course I would hope Phil won, but either way it would be great).

While I'm a a big fan of Phil, I do not dislike Tiger - how can you and love golf? He's fantastic! But my favorite times to watch him is when he's off his game, because he's more fun to watch the shots he can somehow pull off. I also like watching him really locked in a tough battle just to see how calm and composed he remains and what seems to happen to the opponent. Kind of like watching Jack, except I think Tiger is even better under pressure than Jack was.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I root for Phil, first... then it just depends, mostly I root for good golf.

Iacas - who is that bending over in the pic?
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I root for my favorites, David or Goliath.

My #1 is the golfer to the left.<<<<

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Yet another thread that sets people up to say they dislike or root against Tiger from PEZ. Go figure.

Actually, I am glad that Tiger is as good as he is----as the players on the Tour have admitted, they have had to work harder since he turned pro in 1997. He has made them elevate their games, which means the quality of golf has improved because of Tiger. He has hit some of the most incredible shots any golfer of any generation has hit, and it is amazing to see them---especially if they have been recorded, which is true for me. I have quite a collection of his great moments, including, of course, his great victory over Rocco last year in the US Open. I like to root for the underdog, which, of course, Tiger never is, but I can still appreciate his greatness, and if he wins, I am not disappointed or upset. Young golf fans (and old "gray hairs" like me) can always say that we were fortunate to live in the Tiger era.
I root for my favorites, David or Goliath.

That photo is great. Tom Watson's chip in to win the 1982 US Open at Pebble Beach, after he told Bruce Edwards that he was going to make it, is one of the greatest shots in the history of golf! Especially since it made him win our National Championship, and it was the only US Open Tom won as he did have a total of 8 Majors, and was the master of the Open Championship. When Jack saw it on TV, he was shocked since he knew how tough the shot was coming out of the rough the USGA has around the greens.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

underdog. This is the first year I am rooting for Tiger.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Note: This thread is 5529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!