IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

some may say tiger has all the unfair advantages of modern technology and training methods, but no one should discredit a man for being on top of his game. tiger!

It is really pointless to compare era's. Jack said he was just trying to win tournaments to put "bread on the table". Tiger grew up with Jack's picture(s) in his bedroom with the full intent on beating his major wins, which he most likely will do. Also Jack said that he thought Tiger is better than he was and Tom Watson felt that the competition is just as intense as it was when he, Lee T., Arnie, Gary and the boys were play'n against Jack. Pretty hard to say "pashaw" to those guys.

All the greats have brought good stuff to the game and will continue to do so.

I don't agree with some that have posted Tiger being the greatest athlete. He is indeed the highest paid althlete, but compared to most any NBA or NFL player he doesn't have as much athletic prowess, IMO.

To me the greatest althlete golfer was Babe Zarharias. She was not just good, but great at EVERY althletic endevor she did. And this was back when women were supposed to stay at home, cook and have babies.

And thats my 2 cents.

Obviously they are both the greatest of their respective times which is all you really have to go on. Still, if Jack in his prime were magically transported to the next major with all modern equipment I would still bet on Tiger.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Currently, I have to give it to Mr. Nicklaus but if Tiger keeps up his pace (prior to the last 15 months), he will surpass Mr. Nicklaus. It's going to get harder for Tiger though. He is getting older (I know only 33) but some of his invincibility has disappeared. Just ask YE Yang. Many of the new younger golfers don't fear Tiger.

Both are/were incredible golfers but I get to watch Tiger play so he is my fav. The greatest... is yet to be determined.
Putter: Carbite
Wedges: Mizuno R-Series (54 & 60 degree)
Irons: Mizuno MX-900 (3-P)
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK FLI-HI (20 degree)
Woods: Mizuno MX-700 (3W & Driver)

Jack won 73 tournaments in 580 starts, or so

Tiger has won 70 tournaments in 270 starts, or so

So Tiger could go winless for his next 300 tournaments and still have about the same number of wins as Jack.

Not really a fair fight.

Hate to say it...ok.. Not really... Tiger Woods, He's a bad mother trucka.

Driver - Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS Monster 10.5°
3W - Cleveland Hi-Bore 15°
2H - Cleveland Halo
3I - PW - Cleveland CG Red
GW - Cleveland CG 12 Camo 52°SW - Nike SV Tour 56° Putter - Sabertooth

I think for now Jack is still the man. He's got the majors to prove it. I believe that eventually Tiger will probably statistically overtake him.
"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, 'A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a doughnut with no hole is a danish."

909 D3 Diamana Blueboard 63g
909 F2 3 Wood
MP-57's 4-pwIdea Pro 2 and 3 iron hybridsTour-W 52 deg wedge Tour-W 56 deg wedge2 Ball center shaft putterProV1

I love em both but I have to say that the advance in technology does give Tiger an advantage over Jack

In my attack bag im rocking....
10.5 420cc driver
3 wood
3+5 hybrid
3-9 s2h2 irons x20 PW x20 SW OZ-1 putter D2 feelnot the best set up yet but im on a student budget =P

I wasn't alive at jack's prime so I go with tiger being the greatest golfer, also tiger can rip it further, has a better short game, and he's a built athlete, what else is their to say?

This guy pretty much sums it up for me!

SQ Dymo2 Str8 Fit 10.5*
SQ Dymo2 3 Wood 15*
SQ Dymo2 5 Wood 19*
Burner Plus Irons - 4-AW

I think in this technological era, where an average player has unlimited tools at their disposal, (ex. high speed video, launch monitors, club monitors) there is a greater possibility for improvement . And to have a player stand out consistently as the best in the world year in and year out says a lot about that person.. Tiger Woods, in my opinion, has changed his sport more than anyone else has in their respective sports. (Jordan, Jeter, Federer, Ronaldinho)