IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

This discussion is premature and until Tiger shows he is capable of winning a major when behind, even if by only one stroke, that is a serious kink in his armour.

Quite right. In my book he will remain a lowly member of the PGA tour, just there to make up the numbers until he can achieve this. This glaring weakness places him as an over-rated loser.

Let's get some perspective. Tiger has won 60 odd tournamnents. Many fine players win only a couple of times in a career. Now....if my compatriot Jason Day was to "take him down", and win 2 tournaments a year he would equal Woods' total in 32 years time if Tiger retired tomorrow. Your argument is as lame as saying that great players who place themselves in contention and lose are "chokers".

Probably downwind...it is the "Open" you know.

You're probably right - he should have taken a putter off the tee to make sure he didn't overshoot.

After all, that's what Tiger did in 2000 (wasn't it?) - something over 70 yards (maybe 100) to one of them rising, undulating greens. He putted it to about three feet - which probably supports those who believe he is a better long putter than Jack ever was.

• Administrator
Thats funny because Jack won the Masters by 9, a record at the time in 1965, and then won the PGA by 7 in 80.

You've missed the point. Clue: the point wasn't that Jack hadn't done it. And sorry, but 9 and 7 aren't 12 and 15.

The point was: Tiger hasn't won a major coming from behind because he's usually so far out in front that he doesn't get the chance to come from behind. He's really only had three or four chances to come from behind (almost all in the past two years). You're finding fault in the guy for being a good frontrunner with a 100% success record (in the majors). I'm sorry, but that's just plain stupid. Given the choice between winning 20 majors, never having come from behind once, and winning 15 but having come from behind in half, which do you think Tiger would choose? Which is the better record? What if the numbers were 20 vs. 19? He'd take the 20 every time. Duh. Here's another one: Jack's never held every 54-hole lead he's ever had in a major, either. Doesn't diminish his 18 major victories.
Jack won 8 majors coming from behind on Sunday which showed he had the clutch gene that makes the truly special athletes a class above. Tiger sure knows how to lead the pack though.

Yeah, Tiger's lacks the "clutch gene." Uh hmmm. Back on the sane side of the world...

I don't know what this "coming from behind" crap is all about. A win is a win in my book, and Tiger has a bunch of them. As they say, there are no pictures on the scorecard, and I'm quite certain none on the trophies as well.

Indeed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Butch Harmon put it best, almost as an afterthought on one of his instructional DVDs: "...and of course, Jack Nicklaus, the greatest golfer this game has ever seen..." I think I'll go with his opinion (since it's mine as well).

Is Tiger the greatest golfer of THIS generation? Certainly. Is he "better than Jack ever was?" I don't think so. I grew up watching Jack play. Quite frankly, the only reason he doesn't have more majors to his name is the fact that he took quite a bit of time off to spend with his family. He took a lot of heat for it at the time, but it only makes me respect his accomplishments more.

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

• Administrator
Quite frankly, the only reason he doesn't have more majors to his name is the fact that he took quite a bit of time off to spend with his family.

Tiger takes a lot of time off too, and Jack didn't take the majors off to spend time with his family.

Tiger's winning percentage is higher than Jack's ever was, even through similar points in their careers. You can like Jack, and that's fine. You can think that he was a better all-around player, you can think that Tiger won't quite get to 18 wins. You can even think that perhaps his "better competition" (debatable, as JP just covered in Thrash Talk recently) serves as a reason to elevate Jack... But c'mon, "Jack spent more time with his family"? He played more events than Tiger has thus far in his career, didn't skip majors, etc. If you're going to use a fact to back up your opinion, can we try to use facts that support your opinions?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As much as you have to admire Jack for all that he has accomplished in the game, you can’t deny that Tiger has brought a whole new level of precision and athleticism that has never been seen before.

Look at Jack in his prime: Fat. Tiger on the other hand is an athlete in every sense of the word. When Tiger is finally done (I probably won’t live to see it), I have no doubt that his accomplishments will far exceed Jack’s.

Tiger Woods is arguably the greatest golfer that ever lived but Brooklyn raised the point that he is a cry baby. I wish I could get so pissed when I hit a 60ft chip shot and it misses the pin by 6 inches.

Look at Jack in his prime: Fat. Tiger on the other hand is an athlete in every sense of the word. When Tiger is finally done (I probably won’t live to see it), I have no doubt that his accomplishments will far exceed Jack’s.

Not true. Jack went through a physical transformation in the early seventies and had arguably his best year (1972) at or around 185-190 lbs., according to his autobiography. He was far from fat.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

As much as you have to admire Jack for all that he has accomplished in the game, you can’t deny that Tiger has brought a whole new level of precision and athleticism that has never been seen before.

Not only is Tiger an unbelievable athlete but he's also got technology behind him. Technology that Jack didn't have. I agree Tiger will surpass Jack's accomplishments.

Driver: Titleist 983K, 9.5°, Aldila NV-65S
3-Wood: Titleist 906F2, 15°, Aldila NV-75S
Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue TP, 19°, Aldila NV-85S
Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP, S300, 3-PW
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 900 56.14Putter: Ping Anser 4, 34"Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Tiger Woods is arguably the greatest golfer that ever lived but Brooklyn raised the point that he is a cry baby. I wish I could get so pissed when I hit a 60ft chip shot and it misses the pin by 6 inches.

Its true, cry baby central... hes an amazing golfer but i dont really care to watch him when they show him on TV... There are much more interesting players to watch IMO.

• Administrator

High standards != "crybaby."

And I've never seen him "get pissed" for missing a 60 foot chip shot by six inches. C'mon...

Its true, cry baby central... hes an amazing golfer but i dont really care to watch him when they show him on TV... There are much more interesting players to watch IMO.

He expects perfection out of himself at all times, and from what I have seen he is among the most professional while he is out on the course.

If you had the pressure that Tiger has on him while he is out during a round you would crumble under it. So for him to just curse under his breath and move on, I think is pretty damn good.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

Yes, I'm older than one of Henry Cotton's divots!
I watched Jack for 2 successive years at the Masters, his 1 st two years.
Back then you could stand along the 13 th. fairway, near a good drive landing area and be 10 yards from the nearest spectator.
My vote was for Tiger however even though he seems to have changed golf, consider this:
Until Jack came along everyone at Augusta hit driver from the normal practice tee. He had to step back and tee it up between the bleachers, with a 3 wood, to keep from hitting it in the street! The next year they moved the bleachers and range tee. He still hit driver in the street!

I don't think anyone has dominated his opponents mentally as much as Tiger has. Obviously he has done it on the course but the way he affects other golfers' games is interesting to watch.