IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Can't take ANYTHING away from Tiger Woods ... but how long has he been a pro? The Golden Bear did 25 years in the majors before starting in the Champions Tour ... Tiger has a ways to go before that.

He may get there (and I hope he does) but being a bright new star is not the same as being a classic.

tiger just flat out dominates the field in a way nobody else will

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

I agree with sungho-kr except that I am a little cocerned about Tigre's swing. It is great now and very athleticetc, but can he keep this swing as he gets older? maybe he can for the next ten years, but when he's getting to his mid-foties??

I agree with sungho-kr except that I am a little cocerned about Tigre's swing. It is great now and very athleticetc, but can he keep this swing as he gets older? maybe he can for the next ten years, but when he's getting to his mid-foties??

I think so. He is in such good shape, and it is a much more controlled swing then it was under Butch. Honestly, my swing style was very similar to Tigers (shorter backswing) under Butch and felt the same thing he did. Mainly, the lack of backswing giving you the feeling of not creating enough coil, therefore you really rush your downswing in order to create power.

Tiger's new swing creates more coil and more power naturally, that's a swing I think he can replicate for years to come. The only variable I see with Tiger is his putting. That seems to be the difference between winning or losing.....the close ones.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Its hard to compare these two when I have only lived through the Tiger era. Equipment is different as well as the competition. I can only say that from what Tiger has done and at the age he has accomplished all of this, you can only expect him to surpass everything Jack has done. The guy is just phenomenal. My guess is if you talk to someone who has been through both eras, you might get something different from them.

I think so. He is in such good shape, and it is a much more controlled swing then it was under Butch. Honestly, my swing style was very similar to Tigers (shorter backswing) under Butch and felt the same thing he did. Mainly, the lack of backswing giving you the feeling of not creating enough coil, therefore you really rush your downswing in order to create power.

Tiger is very buff, but his swing will eventually take its toll on his joints- its no good having tons of muscle but weak joints. The damage that he is doing to his knee and back cartillage will become evident in the next 10 years. At that point he will have to alter his swing and choose a technique that generates less power ( he will still be long enough). Look at tennis with Sampras, or football- the repetition and practice does take its toll. Tiger will have to slow down like most people.

• Administrator
Tiger is very buff, but his swing will eventually take its toll on his joints- its no good having tons of muscle but weak joints.

You don't know that he has weak joints. A knee is important, but it's just one knee and the effects of the surgeries might not exist until he's 45 or 50 (or perhaps he'll never seriously be affected by it).

And I'm not even sure how much we'll even see Tiger after he's 40. He might have 22 majors by then and be mostly retired and running his Foundation.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, it has to be Tiger, no other golfer has taken every element of the game to the levels he has. Tiger is not only about the power game, he is the complete golfer in every way. Yes, Jack had more competition but its my opinion that golf had not nearly begun the revolution it is undergoing today (equipment, fitness, number of people playing, training aids etc), therefore players concentrated more on playing & winning. With sponsorships, golfers now have a more hectic schedule and arguably less time to practice with strain on playing more events due to sponsor money. Huge credit to Jack for being the golfer he was but Tiger is only just beginning his reign ...(my humble opinion)

Had to vote Tiger, because He's happening now. But I Also remember seeing Jack in his prime as a kid. But I do have a copy of "Dorf on Golf" that never gets a chance to get dust on it. ~Tom B.

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

I would go into details but after 90 pages of good debate...I will make my answer short and say Tiger.

In my Hoofer:

Driver: Big Bertha Warbird 9*
3Wood: Big Bertha
Irons: Eye2 BeCu 2-PWWedges: 56 & 60 RTG 588Putter: Sedona

If they were playing each other... in their primes, I'd go with Tiger. If I had to pick my favorite and the one I'd rather play a round with... Jack

Tiger and it's not even close.....jack didn't have nearly the competition or difficulty of golf courses in his time.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

Tiger and it's not even close.....jack didn't have nearly the competition or difficulty of golf courses in his time.

What a moronic comment. As dumb as I have seen.

You clearlyklnow nothing about the game of golf. Which courses are you referring to? All of those British Open courses that were built in the last five years? What is the point of commenting in these forums if you are not even interested in the game's history? Justin Timberlake is better than Beethoven too.