IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Could someone with some time on their hands go back all the way through this thread and see how many times someone has posted "I've never seen Jack play but I voted Tiger is the best". How can you form an opinion about who was better when you haven't seen one of the golfers play????

T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Oh Boy!

I've never seen Richard Petty drive therefore Jeff Gordon is the BEST!!!
I've never heard Marvin Gay sing so I think Sanjaya is the best ever!
I've never seen the sun set so the moonlight must be the best!
I've never watched a baseball game so I think football is the best!
I've never tasted wine so I think beer is clearly better than wine!
Are you getting the point??

T-Bone Marshall
in my bag
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Like many younger golfers, I dont remember Jack, so therefore, I am a Tiger fan. I have gone through times of disliking Tiger, but when it comes down to the bottom of it, I really respect how good he is.

Like many younger golfers, I dont remember Jack, so therefore, I am a Tiger fan. I have gone through times of disliking Tiger, but when it comes down to the bottom of it, I really respect how good he is.

Yeah, I don't get that. A lot of people I know have this on again off again think about Tiger. I think he is great golfer and a good person. I've always liked him.

T-Bone Marshall
in my bag

please justify that statement with regard to the achievments of bobby jones , harry vardon , jack nicklaus and walter hagen each of who have records yet to be broken by Tiger

The answer is in your reply...YET....that means you know those records WILL be broken by Tiger...Cmon man they change whole golf courses because of WOODS..they ever do that because Jack was scorching the field...NO....Tiger Woods..Greatest of All Time!

Tiger almost certainly will eclipse all those players but he has not yet . I do not fell its enough to agrue that clearly he is a better player than Nicklaus but has simply not eclipsed his records yet because then you can argue that Bob Jones has a record that will never be surpassed in some ways .

Your point about altering golf courses is an interesting one and has been done before but what I cannot understand is how making a course longer is supposed to make it harder for Tiger Woods ? It seems to me it makes it easier for him to win since it limits his competition to a handful of other big hitters.

Actually they changed golf courses due to the ball and equipment. If anything, Tiger has defined the grip it and rip it fashion of todays game. Driver Wedge golf. Jack was more the shotmaker and while I think Tiger is the one guy who could play golf the way that the old shot makers did, he has a ways to go before he catches Jack.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I think alot of you dont want to let go of the almost mystic figure Jack Nicklaus became. But lets be honest, I think Tiger is playing and has played at a level that even Jack has never reached. There was never a sure thing in golf until Tiger Woods. Tiger is the big shot maker. He almost always comes thru and on top of that look at the calibur of golfers Tiger goes up against compared to what Jack faced.Its not even close. He beats guys like Vijay,Phil,Goosen,Garcia,Demarco, and so on with ease....And the scary part about Tiger is that he is just 30 and its said a golfer doesnt reach his prime as a golfer until his thirtees....So he is only going to get better...That scary...Hands down Tiger Woods is the best to ever do it...I think even Jack realizes that.

You cant possibly be serious with that post . Jack Nicklaus won 18 majors , came 2nd in another 19 playing against Arnold plamer 7 majors , gary player 9 majors , lee travino 6 majors and tom watson 8 majors . the players you mention can only raise 6 between them !

You beat me to it mstuk. The players in Jack's day were simply hungrier and better since they weren't playing for second place checks, but to win. Jack played against the non grip it and rip it crowd. Just a different game.

Smuggler, we could certainly say the same about you, you are brainwashed by todays media and their streak counts and complete hanger-on attitude towards Tiger.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Tiger...but he still has a way to go to get there. Also how many players would completely re-build their championship swing to get better.

I don't know the stats, but were Player, Watson, Trevino and the like in their primes or coming down hill at the time Jack was on the rise? (I didn't group in Palmer b/c he was so good for so long).

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

The proof is in the pudding...Believe what your eyes see...Golf is not a game you can fudge on or blame the success on equipment.I dont think it is..If that was the case everybody would be playing like Tiger...If you dont believe the Tiger juggarnaut is real then just go back to his ametuer days..This kid is unbelievable...always was....As far as better equipment..Cmon man if Jack had todays equipment he still wouldnt be playing on the same level as Tiger...

There's nothing wrong with hitting long..If you can do it then do..Jack would if he could...Cmon back in Jacks day the average guy hit the ball 210 to 250 and that was considered a long ball hitter...Those guys Mstuk mentioned Trevino,Palmer,Player and Watson winning Majors proves what im saying...In Tigers era as good as these guys are they win NO MAJORS when Tiger is in TOP form...NONE.....Ive even heard Jack say Tiger is better than he ever was..and he wasnt just being gracious...He knows....Stop hanging on guys..Jack was great but Tiger is greater..No doubt THE GREATEST.

This conversation reminds me of the ones I used to have about DR.J and MICHAEL JORDAN...yeah Dr. J was great but he paled in comparison to Michael Jordan...Same with Tiger and Jack....Tiger is Jordan.