IGNORED

Tour might mike caddies for broadcast on TV

goblue107501
Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just read on PGAtour.com that the tour is looking into miking caddies during a round for TV. I think this would be very interesting. I would love to hear the conversations that go on. Just to hear the thought process for a shot would be neat to hear and us normal golfers could probably pick up some good tips on course management.

Of course the caddies have some reservations. Not about being broadcast, but more about having to watch what they say because someone in the TV truck would be listening. There would be a delay before it went on air, but more along the lines of saying something inappropriate that could get out that was a one-on-one conversation.

Neat idea, I would like to see it done. Even if it just putting the good soundbites together during a round and doing a small segment every hour with the recorded material.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I think hearing the interaction of Tiger and Stevie or Phil and Bones would add to watch a great game.

My friend was just telling me he read an article that Stevie wrote, and he said that he has to lie to Tiger at times throughout the round depending on how Tiger is playing. For example, the critical wedge out of the rough on the 72nd hole of the US Open. Tiger didn't think he could get lob wedge to the hole, but Stevie knew that Tiger was amped up and convinced Tiger to hit lob wedge instead of sand wedge. I guess he will also give Tiger wrong yardages or something lol

Driver: G10 9*
3-wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: 909H 19*
Irons: 695MBs
Wedges: 56 & 52 64 spin milledPutters:Seemore FGP Spider

• Administrator
My friend was just telling me he read an article that Stevie wrote, and he said that he has to lie to Tiger at times throughout the round depending on how Tiger is playing. For example, the critical wedge out of the rough on the 72nd hole of the US Open. Tiger didn't think he could get lob wedge to the hole, but Stevie knew that Tiger was amped up and convinced Tiger to hit lob wedge instead of sand wedge. I guess he will also give Tiger wrong yardages or something lol

1) He talked Tiger into hitting lob wedge instead of sand wedge.

2) He used to lie about yardages when Tiger wasn't as good with his distance control. He doesn't lie now, and hasn't for quite a few years. That's what I read, anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This would be very interesting. Would love to hear a caddy arguing, uh, discussing a shot with a player, or caddy to caddy dialogue.

If only this would include the "under breath" caddy mutterings after the player ignores the caddy's advice.

I just read on PGAtour.com that the tour is looking into miking caddies during a round for TV. I think this would be very interesting. I would love to hear the conversations that go on.

As things stand, the microphones are often close enough to hear these conversations.

Bones appears to get paid by the word and most other conversations are simply about where to aim, "committing to it" , how much the caddy likes the club the player has chosen and specific yardages to specific points. Short of calling it an invasion of privacy, I think we can do without it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I know this sounds nuts but I am a huge fan of the idea to mike the caddies but I hope it doesn't happen.

Pros: I would much rather hear Steve and Tiger discussing the shot than Johnny Miller or any of the other commentators. I think that golfers could learn a lot about what really goes through the head of a pro before they hit a shot.

Cons: The discussions that a caddie has with their player can be a lot different than people might imagine. It's a lot like the relationship between a catcher and a pitcher. You do not always agree and sometimes those disagreements can be heated. It doesn't mean that you hate them or are going to fire them; you both believe you know what will work best. I would be afraid that every single time Steve and Tiger disagreed or Phil and Bones it would become tabloid fadder.

That's my take.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

I like the idea and beleive i could learn alot from it.

I would have loved to hear phil and bones discuss that shot 2 weeks ago when phil hit it right handed. I can't remember the name of the tourney, sorry.

I agree with some of the above. They have the mikes to pick up the conversations already, and with those, I think we are more likely to get the straight stuff.

Once they are miked, a completely different scenario is involved and you have what I think is the probability of the self awareness kicking in and comments either being tailor made (and fake) because they know they are being miked, or just extremely boring, non-commital nonsense, because they know they are being miked.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

• Administrator
I agree with some of the above. They have the mikes to pick up the conversations already, and with those, I think we are more likely to get the straight stuff.

Yes to all of that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) He talked Tiger into hitting lob wedge instead of sand wedge.

I haven't read the article yet, so you're probably right.

Anyway, I think it would make for good TV

Driver: G10 9*
3-wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: 909H 19*
Irons: 695MBs
Wedges: 56 & 52 64 spin milledPutters:Seemore FGP Spider

I know this sounds nuts but I am a huge fan of the idea to mike the caddies but I hope it doesn't happen.

You couldn't be any more spot on. I also think that if someone has a little quibble with their caddie you'd definitely hear about it somewhere. Maybe even on Sportscenter. "Tiger arguing with his caddie?? Find out after the break!" I think the conversations that we get with these super mics is just fine with me. Plus I think this way it's a little more candid.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!