IGNORED

Why buy expensive golf shoes?

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have lived my life by a few simple rules:

How is life "too short?" Last I checked, living is probably the thing you'll be doing the longest throughout your lifetime.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are lots of different CARS. Why buy a ferrari when you can buy a Toyota that will do the same thing? In fact why not buy a little mini. It's the same sort of question really. It's capitalism. There will always be products that are marketed on stupid little gimmicks that we all know don't REALLY make much if any diffference, depending on your finances, status and way you spend money, you either buy it or not.

Personally I bought a pair of Footjoy AQL for £40 ish, they are absolutely as good a pair of shoes as you need-to spend any more is a waste of money-it wont save you shots, last longer or be more comfortable. But, if I was very rich Id probably buy the top of the range-just because! In fact I'd get some Crocodile skin ones like Jimenez wears

If you are walking you just need a good fit and
The only real reason to wear golf shoes is the waterproof element and the styling.
traction not so much.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

There are better products for almost anything.

Granted some of the cost is marketing and brand name.

Like any clothing, there are high and low end items. From personal experience, often the high end clothes are REALLY better products. Try on a hand sown custom cut suit. This is not a JC Penny suit. A rental tux does not compare to a tux fitted for you.

The same for shoes. There are lots of high end shoes, that are really better quality. The fit, the arch, their wear characteristics, their overall performance are better. You put them on and you realize this is what a shoe should feel like.

I personally do not want to pay $200-$400 for a pair of golf shoes, especially for a shoe I am wearing maybe twice a month. However, if I can get them for $70, I am thinking this could be a good purchase. Ah the wonders of the internet.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

If you are walking you just need a good fit and

So comfort and support doesn't matter when you walk 3-5 miles during one round? Ask someone who is jogging or walking in the mountains if good shoes doesn't matter.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

i dont understand the differences between the expensive shoes and the cheaper shoes. why spend close to $200 for the new Footjoy Synergys when you can get a perfectly good pair of shoes for $40? what makes the Synergys and other shoes so expensive?

They are just made better. It is hard to explain. I have a some Footjoy GF-2 that I have had for a few years, and they are still very comfortable and are holding up fine. Same with some Footjoy Dryjoys that I have. On the flipside, I received a free pair of the cheap Footjoy (can't remember the style) and they are very uncomfortable. I was able to wear them for a few rounds but had to give them up since they were so uncomfortable. I had a pair of 'Tigers' before that were great and lasted several years and were still going strong.

The way I see it is this. If you don't play every day a pair of golf shoes will last several years. So to pay $200 isn't really that much if you get 4, 5, even 6 years out of them. If you have a few pairs of golf shoes, the cost is spread out over several years so it really isn't that much. Best thing to do is to look at last years closeouts. They are all over the golf shops and online. I have seen last years Tigers going for 60-70% off. To be able to get a pair that were $220 and now $100 is a heck of a deal.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

The point is, you can get 'good shoes' without having to get the newest expensive ones. Footjoy AQL or a similar quality shoe will do EVERYTHING you require you don't need Synergy or whatever top notch shoe is available.

You aren't missing out on anything important by not buying a top shoe. Same goes for gloves, waterproofs and a whole load of golf products.

The newest equipment is of course most expensive, but that goes with anything in the whole world. Why buy 09 clubs when you can get 08 clubs for 3/4 of the price?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

With clubs I suppose you could argue the new technology is going to directly influence your game. With new shoes, I think its a little harder to argue this and thus justifying the extra cost becomes hard.

I know I just bought a newish Cleveland HiBore XLS Driver, my mate bought a new HiBore XLS Monster driver-I thought the difference would be nothing, but I must admit it is a little straighter and a little longer-all in all it gives you an extra 5%. I'd say thats more significant than the difference a new type of shoe will make compared to last years shoe!!!

Note: This thread is 5516 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!