IGNORED

Putt Them Out

Wood
Note: This thread is 6142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you concede and accept putts inside the leather?

• Good in the leather
    • Always putt it out

This frustrates me a lot. I can understand when people don't putt out 1 foot putts, maybe 2 foot. But when people like a few of my friends start giving themselves 3 foot putts it start to bother me. And the best is when they try to make the 3 and a half foot putt and miss but give it to them selves anyway. Those 3 foot putts can sometimes be the hardest to make, especially when it is to get your lowest round to date or save par or whatever.

I always putt out. If I miss a 2 foot putt then I add a stroke. I like to know at the end of the day the score I shot is my true score.

Driver : SQ Sumo 5000 9.5˚ VS 65 proto
3 Wood : V steel
Irons : MP-32 3-PW
Wedges : R-series 56˚ & 60˚
Putter : Tri-Force 2Ball : Pro V1x

I give people putts, but never expect the same. I like to putt out, especially if it's for par. I will admit, that if I have a 2 footer for a triple and my parther/opponent says "that's good" (usually because he won the hole anyway) I just swipe my ball away and move on to the next hole and try to forget about that 7 I just posted.

I play in a league and some guys are just ridiculous about the putts they give and expect to get. If they give me a 3 footer early in the round I say "are you sure, because if you have this same putt later in the round I won't be giving it to you."

I play in a league and some guys are just ridiculous about the putts they give and expect to get.

In match play, once a stroke is conceded, you can't refuse it, and he can't rescind the concession. You can still putt it out, but that doesn't change your score for the hole as far as the match is concerned. At that point, it's just practice.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
In match play, once a stroke is conceded, you can't refuse it, and he can't rescind the concession. You can still putt it out, but that doesn't change your score for the hole as far as the match is concerned. At that point, it's just practice.

He's probably not actually playing a match against them, though. He's probably just out golfing (maybe for his handicap).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He's probably not actually playing a match against them, though. He's probably just out golfing (maybe for his handicap).

He did say it was in league play.

I realize that not all golfers are truly aware of the differences in the two types of play. I've heard the comment often from guys who say that they won the "match" when they were actually playing stroke within their foursome. The leagues I'm familiar with play different games each week during league play, so he could have been doing most anything.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Nothing is good in a match. What good would it do not to putt them?

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Guiltier than most with gimmies, really trying to play strict this summer as it's been about a year since I started. The biggest problem is that now all those 2 footers won't fall automatically :

Driver: 454 Comp R-flex 45g, 10.5*
Hybrid: Baffler 3I 20*
4i-GW: 3100 I/H
Wedges: 56* 60* Vokeys
Putter: White Hot XG #1

When my friends and I play for money or drinks, everything must be putt out. We have the rule that if everyone else in the group that is betting OK's the putt then its good but if i'm in the group that never happens. I know i've missed plenty of <2foot putts and i've seen my friends miss them too.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

• Administrator

I typically don't do gimmes. Sometimes on putts I know I'll make, lately, I've been hitting them with just my right hand like Tiger's warmup/practice routine.

When I play with a certain friend of mine, inside of about 18 inches, we try to make the putt lip out as violently as possible. It forces you to focus more than just tapping it in. I alternate sides so I don't condition myself to pulling or pushing.

In a match, I'll take a conceded putt so I get out of the way, but then I usually pull the ball away and putt over a small spot on the green the same length away.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just curious what you guys say when putting on poor greens. I usually play munis or average courses, and when it gets hot down here in Texas the greens can be pretty bad at times. Occasionally we'll give a stroke when the "plinko-greens" have just been plugged. What do you all say to this? I know the rules say no, but my friends and I tend to believe that the conditions don't favor honest play from time to time.

Driver: 454 Comp R-flex 45g, 10.5*
Hybrid: Baffler 3I 20*
4i-GW: 3100 I/H
Wedges: 56* 60* Vokeys
Putter: White Hot XG #1

If it's a competition, then putt everything out. If it's a standard game with your buddies, we have rules on inside the leather, but it's mostly to speed up play. I don't care if people putt out or not, but if they are marking 18 inch putts and playing in over 4 hours for a random Saturday game, then that sucks to be behind them. There is nothing worse than sitting in the fairway waiting on a group and the guy misses his 15 footer, marks the 2 footer and then waits and putts out eventually. or they miss the 3 footer and then remark again and start over their routine while everyone waits for them. It's one of the reasons most muni's have 5 hour rounds, while our normal 4some can play in under 3 hours. We don't waste a bunch of time on the greens and have a fun round.

In match play, it's up to the competitors to give putts.

Bad etiquette though to still putt out a given putt. If you don't want it given to you, then tell them and putt it out. However, it's annoying to no end to give someone the putt, they go up and make a serious effort at it anyway, miss and then don't count it.

Maybe I'm a little more lax on gimmes, but if someone has a problem with it, then play me and I'll putt them all out. If I'm just playing some casual round and give myself putts, then it only would hurt me with a lower handicap. However, I don't take putts that I wouldn't make 99% of the time. I'm sure I'll miss an occasional 2 footer, but it would be pretty rare.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Just curious what you guys say when putting on poor greens. I usually play munis or average courses, and when it gets hot down here in Texas the greens can be pretty bad at times. Occasionally we'll give a stroke when the "plinko-greens" have just been plugged. What do you all say to this? I know the rules say no, but my friends and I tend to believe that the conditions don't favor honest play from time to time.

Which munis are you playing in Austin? I agree that it can be really frustrating when the green quality is costing you putts, although this summer has been pretty good so far (with all the rain).

--Will
In my bag:

Driver: Launcher 460Ti 10.5° ProLaunch R Flex
Woods: Launcher 3 wood 15°, Old Golfsmith 5 and 7 woods I built
Irons: Big Bertha X-12 Irons 3-PWedge: 588 Gunmetal Sand Wedge 56°Putter: B60i putter

Every putt, every time.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I putt everything out. The guys I generally play with make fun of me (sorta) for never taking mulligans and always putting out even if they say, "it's good." That's just how I am. The rules are there for a reason and the game of golf is based upon honor and integrity as a person.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Whenever I'm playing with other people or myself I like to putt everything out, but if someone gives me a putt ill just kind of side tap it in, or if it was after a long putt ill accept them hitting it over to me. This is the thing though... I like to putt everything out because if you get into the habit of just giving short putts to yourself when you are playing competitively you will might miss a few of those short ones and wished you had practiced putting them all out.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 6142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!