IGNORED

Tournament in 1 month and counting

Note: This thread is 5520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a tournament coming up May 16th and 17th. 18 holes a day, for 2 days. I have never done a tournament like this and if I want to get somewhere with my golf game I need to see how I would do.

Background- my handicap is a solid 9. I bet it would be lower if I didn't play with my friend who talks all the time but I have yet to find that out. I am 15 years old, 5'11'' tall, 165 lbs. Im not a bad athlete but I do have some bad knees.

Any advice on how to prepare for the 36 hole tournament?

Advice on the physical aspect (training) and the mental aspect.

Thanks! have fun golfing!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I would like to know if there's anything I can do to condition my knees for the event. Also, down here in florida, the heat is a very intimidating factor in events like this. I have to carry my own bag for 18 holes of golf and it will be about 85-90 degrees. Any 'routines' that I can use for hydration?

Thanks a lot.

Taylormade RAC 58º

Are your “bad knees” just the product of growing (at your youthful 15 years of age) or did you suffer an injury to your knees?

Do you have to carry your bag or can you get a friend to caddy? I know the young folks don’t like the push/pull carts (if they’re even allowed in this event) because of the attached geriatric stigma, but you save a lot of energy by not having to hump the loop with 45 pounds of iron on your back.

Swimming (freestyle and breast stroke) offers just enough resistance to the muscles and ligaments to benefit your ailing knees

Sodium and potassium are helpful in the effort to stay hydrated (along with water of course). May I suggest salted peanuts and bananas; they are light, easy on the system, snacks, and are easy enough to carry in your golf bag.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

As has been said, if you can use a trolley, do. I guarantee there will be others doing the same.

In terms of the conditions, just drink plenty of water and make sure you're comfortable.

While bananas are a good idea for a snack, I'd disagree with the salted peanuts, purely from a hydration perspective.

In the tournament itself, don't let your first day performance affect your second. If you have a bad first round, go out in the second as if you hadn't played the day before. If you have a good one, don't get cocky or take risks. Play each shot individually to the best of your ability.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

thanks for both of your replies. my knees are a condition of heredity not an injury. I do have to carry my own bag and the banana is a good idea for a snack. I will try swimming to help. Thanks.

Taylormade RAC 58º

Biggest thing to do:

Keep you rhythm and slow your pace.

In these tourney's your likely to get caught up in the moment and have too fast of a pace. Stay calm and focus on rhythm.

thanks for both of your replies. my knees are a condition of heredity not an injury. I do have to carry my own bag and the banana is a good idea for a snack. I will try swimming to help. Thanks.

Be CAREFUL with swimming, especially breaststroke. As a competitive swimmer, breaststroke is the reason why my knees are shot, as well as a bunch of other tendonitis in my shoulders, hips, elbows, so on and so on. However, swimming freestyle is entirely rotational based. As it might not actually strengthen your knees, it will tighten up your swing a lot.

As for your knees, I'd recommend that you do some stability exercises to strengthen the muscle group around it. Quad extensions, quad curls, lunges, easy on the squats, etc. The stronger the muscles are around the joint, the better they well feel, more stable, not as weak, and will prevent some future injury and over all better health around the joint. If your knees are really bothering you and you need a quick fix, you should get some bands to go around your knees. They'll keep your tendons and ligaments a little more taught and make any unnecessary shifting going on in there quell a bit but remember, this is only short term. It's easy to say, oh this works great, and then rely on it while your knees are getting worse. Gotta put in the time and effort to keep those joints strong. Also, ibuprophen is your friend. It'll keep the swelling down of whatever tendons are bothering you. As long as you're not taking enough to hurt your stomach, this should help you feel better too. Hope this helps!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ha oh yeah this should help. I've looked at the knee wraps and I have one actually. I make sure to take my 3 advil (ibuprofin) before a round, and if I need any more, after 9 holes.

Taylormade RAC 58º

Note: This thread is 5520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!