IGNORED

Teeing off for beginners

shermanM4A1
Note: This thread is 5505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there a rule that golfers may only tee off using a driver?

I am a beginner and I find the driver a difficult club to play with due to its long shaft. I feel more comfortable teeing off with my 5 wood since the shaft is not as long. Distance is not really a factor yet, as I hit my woods around the same distance.

Eventually, I'll get a driver, but I just don't feel I am ready to use one yet.

In my bag:

R540 Driver
Stan Thompson "Ginty" 5 wood
Burner LCG 3-PW, SW, LW putter (mallet) and golf balls

You can use any club heck you can whip out your putter on the first tee

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

You may tee off with any club you would like.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Use a club you're comfortable with. If you can't hit your driver comfortably on the range, it's not going to suddenly start working for you when you get to the tee...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Is there a rule that golfers may only tee off using a driver?

Nope. Some holes don't even permit a driver. If there's water from 180 yards out to 250 yards out - as I've seen on some holes - I can't hit a driver. It will go squarely into the water. I can't carry 250, nor can I easily hit my driver under 180 (despite what my friends will tell you).

When Tiger Woods won the British Open in 2006, he hit his driver once during the tournament. IIRC, he made bogey on that hole.
I am a beginner and I find the driver a difficult club to play with due to its long shaft. I feel more comfortable teeing off with my 5 wood since the shaft is not as long. Distance is not really a factor yet, as I hit my woods around the same distance.

I was hitting my 5-wood off the tee for the longest time when I was beginning golf. For that matter, I hit my 5-wood off the tee on a par-4 earlier this month, and I've been playing for a while now. I also hit an iron off the tee on a par-4 not too long ago.

Hit the club that: 1. You are comfortable with 2. Is appropriate to the situation 3. That will likely leave you in a good position for your next shot. ("likely" is the key word here - not "might", but is likely. Leave the driver out for a bit. And when you want one, talk to your pro about the purchase before going for it.)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The first 2-3 months that I played golf, I used only a 7 iron except when within 100 yards or so. Every tee shot was with that 7 iron.

At the 2-3 month mark, I moved up to using only a 5-iron off the tee. From there I finally progressed to being able to hit a driver.

It's a long process, and I still have a long way to go, but a 7 iron off the tee on every hole is a great confidence builder because it's simply so much easier to hit.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I found the most success hitting a 18* hybrid to tee off. After a few weeks I moved up to the 3 wood. In reality, though I could hit the driver further, I AVERAGED a much higher distance with the 3 wood.

I gave that bag of clubs to my brother and only had a driver in my new bag. Now I've gotten really comfortable with a driver.

My dad doesn't hit more than a 5 wood. A lot of times he's in similar distances as me and my brother hitting a driver because he's consistent and accurate with that thing, while our balls go everywhere :)

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I don't blame you and if you are new to golf that is a good strategy. I am much better with my 3W than my driver that's for sure

What's In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11s 9* w/ Fujikura Motore F1
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11s w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki 
Irons: Taylormade R11
Wedges: Titleist SM4 Vokey 52.08, 56.11, 60.04 
Putter: Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball: Taylormade Penta TP5

I cannot hit a 45-46" driver either. I cut my FT-5 down to 44 1/2" and do much better now. The driver plane multiplies the problems when you are off by just a little. Go to the 3 wood and get your confidence back, and then try a shorter driver.

the short game equalizes everything
FT-5 Draw 10.5
NVG woods 3,5,7,9
Orlimar 4hy
Wilson DI-5 Irons 6-pwTurner wedge 51* bent to 53*TM TP 54* SW bent to 57*Wilson Kirk Currie #2 Mid MalletLaddie X

Note: This thread is 5505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!