IGNORED

Health Issues with Carrying while walking?

ryohazuki222
Note: This thread is 5442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

they told me that it would definitely be better. I don't have the cartalige in that knee that I did so I am concerned with getting arthoritus in that knee. (I know my spelling is terrible) They also said losing wieght would be good too so I also lost 40 pounds. My knee feels great now but I want it to feel great when I am sixty and I love to walk. So I use a push cart.

Brian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article in Golf or Golf Digest several months (maybe a year or two ago) with a similar discussion. They were trying to determine between walking, riding, or a push cart which one burnt the most calories and which one was the best score attained. Long story short, walking burnt more calories but more fatigue, higher score. Riding, lower score but very little calorie burn, push cart was in between.

For what it's worth.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I'm talking about both long term and short term posture.

Hahaha. Your comparing the wear and tear of a golf bag on your back, which is with an ergonomic bag, DESIGNED TO BE CARRIED. OGIO, Ping, Taylor Made, etc etc, Design these bags to be CARRIED. Thats why their called CARRY BAGS. Soldiers use rucksacks, and forced march, exhausted, 20+miles in desert heats during the day, and sub zero temperatures at night. Im no soldier, but I do know a ton about ergonomics and body mechanics. If you were playing with a 30 year old golf bag, I might say it could cause a problem. But modern bags are comfortable and east to carry correctly. Its supposed to be slung diagonally over your back by the way, not carried on your shoulder. And if your an adult male who finds a golf bag heavy, I suggest you hit the gym.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

You're saying pushing as opposed to carrying the bag alleviated some knee strain for you?

I can walk around a golf course for 4 hours and have no knee pain whatsoever. But, in the ten minutes it takes me to get to the frozen food section of Costco, my left knee is killing me. Go figure.

I can walk around a golf course for 4 hours and have no knee pain whatsoever. But, in the ten minutes it takes me to get to the frozen food section of Costco, my left knee is killing me. Go figure.

Golf courses are soft and accomodate your feet. The floors of Costco, your workplace, whatever the case may be, are hard and have ZERO give.

People who work on cement and steel floors often have knee problems. Its because of the strain an out of position foot puts on your knee. Over years, the stretching causes tears in muscles and ligaments, and destroys the knee. A lot of flat footed people wear arch supports (I have since I was 3), but people dont realize that everyone should wear a pair in their shoes to keep natural contours from having too much stress on them, and putting undue force on your knee.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Hahaha. Your comparing the wear and tear of a golf bag on your back, which is with an ergonomic bag, DESIGNED TO BE CARRIED. OGIO, Ping, Taylor Made, etc etc, Design these bags to be CARRIED. Thats why their called CARRY BAGS.

The bag is designed to be carried as best as possible, doesn't make the human body designed to carry the bag though. Just like a chair, it is very well designed for sitting on, but a human body is not designed to sit on a chair.

Soldiers use rucksacks, and forced march, exhausted, 20+miles in desert heats during the day, and sub zero temperatures at night. Im no soldier, but I do know a ton about ergonomics and body mechanics.

Did you read my post? I said soldiers were not a fair comparison. As in we shouldn't be comparing golf bags and soldiers posting. Why are you telling me a soldier is a completely different case when that is what I said?

If you were playing with a 30 year old golf bag, I might say it could cause a problem. But modern bags are comfortable and east to carry correctly.

It is very nice of you to suggest I hit the gym. I suggest you read the whole thread before posting.

Like you I am in my twenties, and

Theres no reason not to carry, and if you do it properly, its fine on your back and shoulders.

I have a Masters in kinesiology, and a bachelor in athletic nutrition.. I deal with questions like this every day. I can tell you, carrying correctly is not bad for your back.

Back problems usually stem from foot, knee, and hip injury. Not bag carryinglike i said, when slung correctly, bags are comfortable and can be handled easily with no discomfort or misalignment of the spine.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

A

I respectfully disagree and I carry a dual strap all the time. What happens is just like a backpack, the head moves forward to counteract the shoulder weight and the upper back, small muscles of the neck and shoulder are put under tremendous strain and are pulled forward out of position. (read all the info online about school kids and their backpacks, you will never carry clubs again) The key is to carry a stand less dual strap superlite bag, sun mountain makes one, with about 5 or 6 clubs max, and carry it under an arm alternating as much as possible. I think push carts are just as bad, as you pull or push one sidedly and this can wreck you spine. The best way to walk is with a caddy, this is how the game is really meant to be played. A smart caddy can really speed up a round. I looked for a bracket my mom used in the 50's which held a full set with the clubs on each side and it stuck in the ground. I could not find one. I will probably go with 5 or 6 clubs and simply carry them alternating arms/hands.

So I completely decided I'm buying a pushcart today or tomorrow.

I woke up to go hit the course at first light (first time playing so early... it's great!) I got to the 8th hole pissed that I just triple bogied hole seven with a score of seven (TWO disgusting wedge shots. Third shot wasn't good enough, but I had a chance at saving a double with a one-putt and missed my a few inches.).

ANYWAY, put the bag down, decided to hit an easy 6i instead of forcing a 7.... got a good bounce. left with a good 10-12' putt with a little break. I was a little hyped up still mad from the previous hole.... I yanked my bag up and felt a nasty pull in the right side of my neck. I ended with a par.... tried to play hole 9 and it was painful, but I managed a bogie. Had to cut my round off there....

I was supposed to have my first lesson today too.... I'm going to take some advil and relax and see what happens with my neck. My movement is limited enough that I can't check my blindspot while driving without turning my body.

I can definitely say, this wouldn't have happened if I had a pushcart.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

It also wouldnt have happened if you'd picked it up correctly, bending at the knees, back straight, and slung over your shoulder, not thrown...

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Like others have said, it'd probably be best to consult someone who knows what they're talking about - a doctor. After all, we are all different and its hard to make a blanket statement when some might have a family history of back problems or flat feet or hip issues or whatever.

As for your general poll to the forum, I personally don't have problems carrying. But then again, I don't play 100+ holes per week. I tend to like a healthy dose of everything. I try to carry as much as I can, but sometimes end up with a push cart or golf cart.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

After about 10 years off of golf and a solid weight gain as I set off into the real world and sat behind a computer, I am back playing golf again.

A few months in, and I probably only ride 1 out of 10 rounds or so. My back had been giving me problems in spite of constant workouts, but with the golf and the walking, although I'm a little stiff, I'm starting to lose weight and get in great shape.

I choose to carry for those reasons. Maybe once I'm in tip-top shape I'd think differently, but for now, this is a means to help me GET in tip-top shape.

My .02, anyway.

It also wouldnt have happened if you'd picked it up correctly, bending at the knees, back straight, and slung over your shoulder, not thrown...

I completely agree. I've never had good habits when it came to those things. I'm not blaming the bag -- I know it's my fault; however, I also know I'm not disciplined enough to lift properly every time.

Thanks to my job, I put a lot of stress on my neck 40 hours a week. Seems like it finally took it's toll with the help of some lazy/stupid decision. But yeah..... I completely yanked the bag off the ground.... when I imitate the motion now, it's completely clear that it places all the strain on the neck because of the way I'm pulling up.
Welcome to the pushcart crowd. Just be careful lifting it out of the trunk.

Thanks for the tip and welcome! I'll be the young 20something walking around pushing my cart in the shade of my umbrella (or is it a parasol in this case??) and sipping on the lemonade in my cup holder. I totally expect to be made fun of out of pure jealousy :)

Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

I carry 4 to 5 times per week and some of those are 2 rounds per day. I dont have any effects on my back or anything else that I have noticed but It just has to be simple knowledge that walking that much with a full bag of clubs and gear would put more wear and tear on the body than not carrying it would? Don't you think? I dont plan on buying a push cart any time soon, but have found myself using a pullcart sometimes if I'm tired or just feel I need a break from the weight of a bag. I think for me there are two reasons I don't use a push cart. 1 - I like the extra excercise and don't feel it effects my game or health. 2 - I feel like a weenie when I use one. SRY LOL

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I personally do both. When I play 9 holes I carry my bag and when I play 18 I grab a pull cart. I do this for two reasons, I don't consider myself in great shape and if I play 18 holes carrying my bag, I am usually quite tired after the round, particularly if I am playing a hilly course. When I use a pull cart, I find I have a lot more energy and I don't feel as tired coming down the stretch. Second reason is that I have had back problems, and after 18 holes I find my back feels much better after using a pull cart.

When I carry for 9 I don't feel nearly as fatigued and my back doesn't bother me. I use to poke fun at people with push/pull carts, but now I understand and recommend it to people who make fun of me. It's surprising to see the look on their face after a round using a pull/push cart and they feel a lot better than if they carried.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

• 4 weeks later...
After using the ClicGear for a bit, I have to say the thing brings it's own set of health hazards....

My third outing I let my cart go downhill..... but it got some extra (unanticipated) cartpath roll and it ended up falling 8 feet down into a creek. The resulting climb down into the slightly above waist deep water to retrieve everything was definitely not safe or sanitary............... but what's most important is that all the equipment was ok once it dried. :)

Note: This thread is 5442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!