IGNORED

Couple of new videos

Ben
Note: This thread is 5522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why worry about the hands being behind the ball at address? Lots of great drivers do exactly that. As to the stationary head, I personally don't think that is required, as long as the whole swing stays within acceptable bounds. Tiger's head moves, as does many great ball strikers. Even the great Nicklaus moved his head although he always advocated a still head and told of his coach holding his hair. Swing videos show his head moved in a small circle (at least a couple I have seen sure looked that way.)

Some even like the upper body to move so the sternum comes almost over the inside of the right knee, especially with a driver. You can do that if your right leg stays braced and flexed, and there there are a few extra yards available if you can do it with control. You will see many pros with a reverse K shape on their right side and that comes from a small move with the upper body during the coiling behind the ball. Really long drivers typically do that. The move requires lots of flexibility and strength, but loads the coil for the explosive hip turn through impact that Ben uses. The problem only comes if the lower body goes with the upper body on the back swing and the K shape is on the left side -- that is a reverse pivot. I think there are a few more yards available in Ben's swing, but it is a very nice swing and clearly something to be admired.

This is a current hacker's opinion, so ponder it or ignore it... there are many conflicting ideas about the swing and these are thoughts of much less skilled ball striker. However, if you note many of the swing sequences in mags like Golf Digest, you will see the reverse K shape and a more or less straight but left leaning line on the left side. Sure wish I could still do it but the older you get, the harder it is to do.

RC

Yeah, my hands are just weird. I was playing golf with my boss and teaching pro yesterday and we were talking about that. I play with a very neutral grip. No matter what I do I can't get rid of that off angle on my left hand. Dunno if my wrist is double jointed or what it is?

There are a lot of Pro's with weird techniques and so on, but what ever is comfortable and works for you is what you should stick with and work on perfecting.

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
In my bag:Ball: I always use Pro V1Driver: ...

You stand very close to the ball, the but of your club on the 6iron shot is very tucked, seemed crowded. Would you consider your swing to be a 2 plane?

In my Titleist Premium Stand Bag

909D3 8.5 VS Proto 70 X
909 f2 13.5 V2 75 x
G10 15 Degree Grafalloy Red X MP-32 3-pw X100 Vokey Spin 52, 56 SS Newport 2 Pro V1

Yeah, my hands are just weird. I was playing golf with my boss and teaching pro yesterday and we were talking about that. I play with a very neutral grip. No matter what I do I can't get rid of that off angle on my left hand. Dunno if my wrist is double jointed or what it is?

You set up with the hands behind, but before you start the rotation you move the club slightly back. This give you the normal position from there. As long as you do it consistently and don't have a problem with it it probably doesn't matter. I don't know if you conciously do that little move, but you might as well set up with that position to remove that movement from the swing.

You stand very close to the ball, the but of your club on the 6iron shot is very tucked, seemed crowded. Would you consider your swing to be a 2 plane?

Yep, it reminds me of Jim Furyk.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe, I guess? I sure hit that pretty great though. I just listened to it a few times. Sounds awesome.

2-plane, 1-plane. I just think about staying on-plane.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Ben - something that really jumps out at me when looking at your videos....
You have a very natural and athletic swing, obviously. No-one will disagree with that, but your setup is unusual is that you have very little knee flex and a lot of your weight is biased forward - not the "almost sitting" posture at all. My thought is that the club at address is almost supporting some of your weight and that when you start your takeaway and throughout your swing, there could be some balance issues. You adopt your address position with minimal knee flex and then basically lean over until your club rests on the ground, forming a third point of support/contact with your feet. Is this something that you have developed for a reason or am I imagining something?
Regards.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Ben - something that really jumps out at me when looking at your videos....

Yeah, you're right. And my iron faces show a hitting pattern more towards the heel, which would be a definite side effect of being "toe-y" weighted. Probably why I need my clubs 2*upright as well. I worked on distributing my weight from front to back today on the range, felt strange. I definitely felt more "seated". But, I hit some ultra solid shots.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Great swing but it sort of looks like you are hopping up on your toes when you make contact with the ball with the driver.. Otherwise, great

Titleist 907 ; D1
Titleist 695cb ; 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled ; 56*
Scotty Cameron ; Red-X
Titleist Ball ; Pro V1Age ; 16

Yeah, you're right. And my iron faces show a hitting pattern more towards the heel, which would be a definite side effect of being "toe-y" weighted. Probably why I need my clubs 2*upright as well. I worked on distributing my weight from front to back today on the range, felt strange. I definitely felt more "seated". But, I hit some ultra solid shots.

Some players I know "sit down" much too much - to the point of having their but sticking out - but I am certainly not surprised to learn that you hit a few close to the heel.

I guess my concern is that when someone is young and strong like yourself, you can make all sorts of adjustments mid swing and feel like you've got away with it, but then if things go south seriously, fundamentals like your leaning forward can cause all hell to break loose with sockets and pulls. I reckon that if you develop a bit more of a waggle you'll stop leaning on your club really quickly and easily, because it will force you to satnd on your two feet and not use the club as part of a tripod!. Cheers and good luck.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I reckon that if you develop a bit more of a waggle you'll stop leaning on your club really quickly and easily, because it will force you to satnd on your two feet and not use the club as part of a tripod!.

Oh, I've got a ton of waggle, those are severely edited versions of my swing videos. But yeah, thanks for the tip. I'll work on it more.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 5522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!