IGNORED

Is it really an eagle?

JCDot33
Note: This thread is 5503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So on my home course our 16th hole is a 494 yard par 5. There are elevated tees but deep depressions in front of the tee boxes that are still flooded (from the winter thaw) so they have the tee boxes (tips and men's whites) closed off an everyone is hitting from the forward tees that are about 150 yards forward of the other tee boxes ...

Today I hit driver/sand wedge into the green and left myself about a 12 foot putt which I proceeded to make ... it's a 3 which means that on the card it's an eagle because the par for that hole, from all tee boxes, is 5 ... but can I really take pride in that eagle considering that there really was one less shot on that hole due to the placements of the tees?

What say you guys?
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

Gotta love those 350 yd par 5's.

I don't think I'd count that one. If they're moving to a temp tee that's that much shorter, they should really designate it as a temp par 4.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd say congratulations on the excellently played birdie.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

So on my home course our 16th hole is a 494 yard par 5. There are elevated tees but deep depressions in front of the tee boxes that are still flooded (from the winter thaw) so they have the tee boxes (tips and men's whites) closed off an everyone is hitting f

If the tees are official tees then technically it's an eagle but at the same time you're playing from tees that are not suitable for your HCP (which is nice by the way). So you can take pride in a well played hole (anytime you write down a 3 on the card is good) but you might not want to brag it up as the "devils in the details".

I'd say congratulations on the excellently played birdie.

LOL, my sentiments exactly. I have 1 eagle in my life. They are special and need to be treasured. Not cheapened.

Driver: Nike Covert Driver

Irons: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 5-GW 

Cleveland Mashie 1, 2, 3, & 4 hybrids

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 Black Nickel 54* & 58*

Putter: Wack-e with super stroke grip

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

cough cough should be a birdie cough cough

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

What i think is interesting is the that the higher handicappers are all saying take the eagle, and the lower handicappers are saying it's a birdie.

I say count it as a birdie. It sounds like a well played hole, but I couldn't count it as an eagle.

I think that if you are making a thread asking if you should count it....then you already know the answer

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

... If they're moving to a temp tee that's that much shorter, they should really designate it as a temp par 4.

Technically it's not a "temporary tee" it's officially the most forward tee box on the hole (usually the ladies and the really old guys play them).

I am still going back and forth on this one, and the lot of you haven't really helped me out here either ... thanks! So, I guess I will just put into my memory bank that I had a 3 on that hole and if I have done it before I can do it again ... just next time instead of that sand wedge I'll have to plop it on 12 feet with my 5 iron ...
In my Bag:

5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

Technically it's not a "temporary tee" it's officially the most forward tee box on the hole (usually the ladies and the really old guys play them).

Ahhhhh, I misunderstood...... Still a "no" though. Sorry.

In David's bag....

So let me just play Devil's Advocate here for a second ...

The tees that I played on this hole were "official tees" and the par form that tee box is a 5 ... I holed the ball out in 3 strokes ... so why can I not brag about this one? I am starting to think that this is legit and you guys just don't want to give it to me ...

Great! There are like 25 of you who are just like my buddies on the course ...

In my Bag:

But the problem is that you were playing from the ladies' tees. I could probably hit a lot of home runs playing tee ball with my kid...but i don't think they would count!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

So let me just play Devil's Advocate here for a second ...

Hey, if at a 7 hcp, you feel good about calling a 3 on a 350 yd hole an eagle, who're we to argue?

Ya know, now that I think about it, I aced the 3d at "Pirate's Cove" mini golf last week. Hmmmmmm.......ya think I should get the plaque?

In David's bag....

eagle is great but theres nothing wrong w/ the birdie... good job

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Nice birdie.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

Note: This thread is 5503 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!