IGNORED

Golf Grip selection - help please

Rounders
Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kind of, yes. But any cord grip will tend to do that. Its not extreme or anything, i still get about 7-10 rounds out of a single glove.

I go through 3 gloves a year, playing about 20-25 rounds a year, all clubs with New Decade grips. I don't think that's unreasonable. Also, softer grips provide less fell, therefore they are usually preferred by higher handicaps.

so both of you guys only get around 7-10 rounds per glove

I get at least 15 rounds per glove, maybe more like 20+. Are you guys including a bunch of practice time? What type of gloves are you using?
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• 4 years later...

Need some input here. I am driving myself nuts with grips and grip size. I played VDR grips with 2 wraps for the last few seasons, than went Tour Velvet ribbed which I hated. I than went to the Niion Golf Pride with 2 wraps. This season I decided to throw on some Tour Velvet mid size. I put them on 6i, 7i, 8i, pw, hybrid, 3 wood and driver. It is odd because some days they feel good. I have yet to play a round with these grips just in hitting bays. I have noticed that I am hitting a push slice, I can't confirm whether or not this was the case prior to the mid size grips, most likely it was there. I have noticed that my swing speed dropped a few mph's as well as distance with the mid's is this common or maybe just an off day?  I have played a few rounds with these clubs with a standard grip and did not notice a slice with them. Driver and fw yes always have been fighting a slice. I guess my question is should I just move onto a standard grip with the 2 wraps on them an be done with this mental aspect? Was thinking of going to GP multi's or standard Velvet. I have posted a few times concerning this issue in recent months. Thanks for any feedback.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I decided to remove the mid size tour Velvets. I went back to 2 wraps under standard. Stuck with tour Velvets but went with the 360 tour Velvets. Felt good hitting them.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Like anything else out there, too many choices!  I'm thinking about a regrip this season as well.  Went to the Lamkin site and did the 'what grip for me' process.  I see that my local Golf Galaxy carries the product that seems to fit what I want.  Tacky and a bit softer than normal.  Reason why is because I live up north and play in cooler, and a lot times wetter, conditions.

Doesn't matter which product the site 'recommended' to me, but here's the strategy.  I'm only getting two clubs gripped initially, see if I like them then have the rest gripped.  If I don't like them, I'll have GG recommend something else and have two more gripped.  Test both, go with what feels best.

Since I've also playing guitar for 40+ years my left hand is starting to feel it a bit during rounds.  Want something softer and tackier for a lighter grip and less stress on my left hand.

Even though a regrip won't break the bank, I want to be sure before I get 12 clubs regripped with something that might not work for me.  5-hybrid and my 58* SW will be first up and we'll go from there.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Trial and error for me:

- Standard sized Mizuno M-21 grips felt ok but I was told they were too big for my short fingers.
- Standard sized Iomic Sticky Opus 2 felt soft, grippy and amazing. They were a fraction smaller than the M-21's and so were ideal for my hand size BUT they wore out very very quickly with my swing flaws wearing the palm pad. Also expense combined with the grip problem meant I'd be regripping several times per season and I wasn't prepared to do that.
- Standard sized Black Widow Widow Maker grip felt very nice but the taper at the butt end was flared a lot which meant less grip with my pinky and a feeling of less control.
- Undersized Lamkin crossline grips were hard wearing, a good size for my hands and felt great. No complaints at all.
- Standard sized Mizuno M-31 grips which came on my JPX 825 Pros. They're fractionally smaller than the M-21's so they're right in between the Iomic and M-21's. A smidge too big but still perfectly playable and hard wearing so I'm happy to stick to them.

As I've managed to sort out my gripping problems I'll likely try the Iomics again as they've been by far my favourite grips.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Have preferred Lamkins for a long time -- for durability and quality. Wipe 'em down and they're good. Last set lasted over 2 years.

This year --

Lamkin REL 3 GEN Grey in one iron set, and

Pure Grey grips in the other...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

lamkin crossline - medium.   Just feel right - enough grip, but don't feel "soft" or spongy.     Just go to a golf store & you can feel them & see which you like the texture of.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Lots of threads here giving love to PURE grips.

I love my Iomic Sticky 2.3 grips. I stopped wearing a glove. They are tacky but, dispute the name, not sticky. They have a bit of give so they are easy on my hands -- without even wearing a glove. Yet they never are squishy like the WINNs I had years ago. They seem to be lasting forever -- they are still like new after other grips would need to be replaced. Bad news -- expensive even when you buy the on line.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Honestly, does anyone here feel the difference of an extra layer of tape? Tape is only .005" thick compare that to a human hair at .003"  you kinda see my point, I know it's wrapped around the shaft so in reality were talking .010" but that is only building up a grip 1/128" . It would take nearly 7 layers just to reach 1/16". I was just curious one day and took my 0"-1" micrometer out to see just how much thickness a layer of tape really adds and this is what I found. I'm not looking for a debate and actually am wondering if there is an alternative reason for adding layers of tape than just total grip build up and if doing it in specific areas helps.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Honestly, does anyone here feel the difference of an extra layer of tape? Tape is only .005" thick compare that to a human hair at .003"  you kinda see my point, I know it's wrapped around the shaft so in reality were talking .010" but that is only building up a grip 1/128" . It would take nearly 7 layers just to reach 1/16". I was just curious one day and took my 0"-1" micrometer out to see just how much thickness a layer of tape really adds and this is what I found. I'm not looking for a debate and actually am wondering if there is an alternative reason for adding layers of tape than just total grip build up and if doing it in specific areas helps.

Interesting that you say that.   Most say that 4 wraps will get you to a sixteenth.   I've never tried just one wrap but have 3 under the lower hand on my driver and yes, I feel the difference between that one and my 3 wood, which doesn't  have them.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Note: This thread is 3691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!