IGNORED

PING opinions

Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love my new Pings. I've played about ten rounds so far this year, and they have seriously helped my iron game, and the rapture driver is AWESOME! I didnt like their wedges, so I bought Vokeys last week. But I would reccomend fitted pings to anyone.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm sitting here at the airport reading the May 2009 issue of Golf Magazine (my flight is delayed 3 hours because the plane was grounded due to mechanical problems and "it's taking some time getting the other one out")

prsonally i dont like pings,i wouldnt think about putting one in my bag.

I tried the G5s, liked them a lot, but found my i/3 O-Size set, mint, cheap. Love my Pings. Lots of forgiveness for a newbie like me . . . more forgiveness than workability, which is what I need as a beginner.

In my Cart Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw 9*
3W: Ovation 15*
Hybrid Halo 19* 2H, Halo 22* 3H
Irons: i/3 O-Size 4-PWSW: Vokey SM 56*Putter: Anser

Slightly off topic but I think Golf Digest's review is better than Golf Magazine.

Here's their reviews for 2007 and 2009:
2007 - http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...Hot_List_index

2009 - http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/ratings

Can't find the 2008 review but it's out there if you do some searching.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

prsonally i dont like pings,i wouldnt think about putting one in my bag.

I don't understand it but I never liked Ping Irons also. Great putter. Never tried their drivers or woods. I know too many old time Ping fans who switched to Callaway.

Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I have a mostly Ping bag now. For me the G10 driver and G10 irons are top notch. (I wish I had gotten the irons in steel rather than graphite -- too light.) I'm less thrilled with fairway wood and hybrid. Ping Redwood Anser is a beautiful putter with good feel but I'm currently thinking to switch to a center-shafted mallet.

I have compared so many drivers to the G10 at the range and G10 always wins for my swing.
Driver: G15 12*    /     FW: Exotics CB1 4-wood,   a4OS 5-wood
Hybrids Hi-bore 3,4-hybrids  /   Irons: G10 5-UW TFC 129i
Wedge Vokey SM 56*   /   Putter: Karsten Anser 

• 1 month later...
I'm a new convert to Ping drivers- recently bought a Rapture v2 and it kicked everything elses ass, and managed to get it a fair bit cheaper than the top end Taylormade, Callaway and Titleist drivers. I was really surprised but for me it was considerably in front in terms of distance, forgiveness and straightness.

I also think Ping are the all-time greatest manufacturers of putters. I had a really old copper Ping Anser putter for years and years and it brought me all the way down from a 36 handicapper to single figures. I had brief departures with Odyssey and Scotty, put I always go back to Ping. I now have an Anser G5i, although a part of me still loves that old copper Anser.

In contrast, I've always hated the irons. When I've tried them they always fly well and go far, but I hate the feel (some might say "solid", but I think "hard") and generally hate the look (remember the Ping Zing irons with a huge protruding toe). No doubt they are quality products but the look and feel isnt for me. I've had a look away from Titleist irons a few times but nothing compares IMHO- they to me are the best.

I also really like Ping's general approach to business- you cant buy them direct off the internet as they want their products to be customised to the needs of an individual golfer, and their marketing always seems to me at least to be relatively low-key and instead rely on the quality of their products to speak for itself (vs the likes of Nike etc.). I personally like that ethos.

I have the PING G10, Ping G5, and used to use: their wedges (Ping Tour), Ping G5 driver, and putter (g5i anser).

I liked all of their clubs, and still do. My hybrid is almost non-replacable. I love that thing. It's one of the few clubs I can easily manuever with a draw/fade, low/high. It also has nice forgiveness. The driver is workable as well, I enjoy hitting the high cut when I can't get my normal ball flight (draw/ sometimes develops into a snap hook, LOL!) into play. The G10 is by far the best Ping club I've ever touched. I've had it for over a year now, and the thing I noticed most was it's amazing forgiveness. Many times I've hit the ball of the heel or toe of the clubface, but my playing partners hear the sound and see the ball flight and think I've caught it flush. Do I lose some distance? Yeah, of course, but the ball still went pretty darn straight with not too much distance loss...that was the major thing that stuck out to me. As far as the wedges and putter goes, the wedges were probably the only thing I never LOVED from Ping. They were solid wedges don't get me wrong, but I prefer the feel of the Titleist vokey's, or the Nike SV Tour's over the Ping Wedges. I was always a pretty solid putter, especially short putting with the Ping g5i anser. That putter is GREAT for making a simple, short compact stroke on 3-7 footers. I ended up struggling with it a little bit, and I knew my Dad loved the putter and needed a new one, so I gave it to him. He's been using it for a little over a year and it may be his favorite club.

Next driver I get I will certainly consider Ping's newest line of Drivers and hybrids...Right now, I've never really even considered getting rid of my G5 hybrid or G10 driver.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

i am waiting to try the new I-15 and G-15 series that are coming out. They have the Sedona Red color instead of burnt orange. As far as someone saying they are made in the US, sorry but most of their clubs are being out sourced in China and assembled here in Phoenix. They still make some models here but can't remember off the top of my head which one's. All of the woods and hybrids are made in China. (The old man has to be turning over in his grave).

Titleist 915 D-2 9,5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist 915H 18*

Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Mizuno MP 54* & 60*

Yes Pippi Putter

I have a Ping G10 driver, 3 wood, and 18 hybrid. Love them all. I also have the i10 irons, absolutely love those as well. Solid feel and great forgiveness in all the clubs. Even the i10's, which are suspose to be more like blades- and really are- have the same forgiveness as my old cobra cavity back irons, and I hit these 5 yards farther with much better accuracy. I have been a Ping guy since the beginning, and probably always will be. However not a huge fan of their wedges. And I tried just about every Ping putter they had at golf galaxy and I just cant find one that matches the feel of a scotty.

Clubs:

Driver: Ping G10 10.5 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 Stiff
Fairway: Ping G10 15.5 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 stiff
Hybrid: Ping G10 18.0 UST Mamiya Proforce V2 H stiffIrons:  Ping S56 3-PW KBS tour StiffWedges:  Ping Tour S 56, 60 degree KBS tour stiffPutter:  Ping scottsdale anser 2 34"

I have a G10 Draw driver and although it helped a lot when I first gt it a year ago, I have grown out of it and it actually works against me now. The Grafalloy Prolaunch Red S Shaft is ok but I can't get any roll, it goes a mile up in the air and just dies when it drops. I've demoed other driver and get 15-25 more yards easily. It's also rather big and bulky, my swing speed is down compared to other drivers. I'm getting ready to trade it in. To their credit they hold there value compared to other drivers, I'm going to snag around $120 for it @ Golf Galaxy. I won't be buying another Ping product again (even though that crescent moon is pretty sweet to line up) but I would say just try it and check it out for yourself, as a forum is really just made up of opinions. Good luck.
The Hefty Lefty!
2009 R7 LIMITED 10.5 deg. Matrix Ozik 55g R
A3 Hybrid Irons 6-PW
A3 Hybrids 3: 19 deg, 4: 22 deg, 5: 25 deg.
: Black Max GW 52 deg. Vision SW 56 deg. 2009 XG Teron 35"My bag is full of brand new clubs! Well except for that trusty sand wedge.

The only PING clubs I've hit so far are the G2i Zing putter, and the Zing irons. I hated the irons, but I did like the feel of the putter. I haven't tried any of their new equipment, though. So I really can't say anything. The G10 line, along with S58s, 57s, and 59s, and the Redwood putters do look great, though.

recently got fit for G5's - LOVE 'em. During the process, I hit the Victory blades/half-cav/full cavity, the Cleveland Golds & Reds, the Mizuno's, TaylorMade burners...nothing compared

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My buddy and I swapped putters, so now he has my Oddessy and I have his old Ping Anser 2. It took a little getting used to, but I really like it. The ball comes off of the face much differently than it does on my Oddessy. Definitely a very nice putter, and I feel like I know where on the face I'm making contact.

I've hit the 2 current Ping drivers and was very impressed by both. Never used any of their irons though. I definitely have no problems with Ping, I think they make some great clubs.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I've met several people still playing and enjoying 20+ year old Ping Eye2 irons, this gives me a great feeling about the brand. These people could all replace their irons with current models but they just like the feel of their old Pings.

It gives me a great feeling about the quality and longevity of the Ping brand.

I was shocked to see this article about Ping. Definitely worth a short read.

R7 Superquad

Exotics 18*

Exotics 25*

AP2 (2008)

CG15 56* & 60*

Rossa Imola 8

TP Black LDP

I tried the Ping i-10's and the Taylormade Tour Preferred irons. Both are great clubs, the TP's are much longer with the same forgiveness and workability...so I chose Taylormade irons.

As for drivers, the Ping G-10 is better for me than anything Taylormade has - but again, the shaft really is the defining difference. All-in-all, I think Ping and Taylormade are quite compatible.

Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!