IGNORED

Tiger too muscular?

Donnie_Brasco
Note: This thread is 5600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to agree with Donnie here. Generally, the more weight you put on, the less flexibility you have.

Like I said before bulking only really inhibits flexibility when it physically gets in the way of range of motion.

Making a muscle bigger and stronger will not in itself inhibit flexibility, especially when combined with flexibility training too. Flexibility is created by relaxing muscles. no matter how big a muscle is, it can still relax. Now training incorrectly can lead to neuromuscular adaptation which will inhibit the muscle from relaxing, and there are other factors such a muscle can't be relaxed past the point where it has the strength to contract and return to its contracted position. However these problems are for the most part caused by bad training rather than the actual muscle growth.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, there were so many things to quote, I just didn't want to bother. How any of you can think Tiger is retarded enough to use steroids is beyond me. I agree with someone else in how I don't think they would even help you in golf. Not to mention, his empire is built on his image, an image he has put together the last 10+ years. Do you really think he'd throw it all away on some drug that wouldn't even help the sport he plays? Basically just throw away $1billion?! Because I don't see him hitting the ball any longer than anyone else.

Shit, when I started writing this post I had so much to say, but I'm so flustered I lost my train of thought.

He just came back from a year long layoff with almost 6 months of it not taking a full swing. I'd like to see any of you come back to form in 2 months after what he went through.

Since we're just randomly accusing people of taking steroids because of their body, Phil Mickelson took steroids. How do I know this? Because some steroids shut down abilities to produce testosterone causing an overload of estrogen which would explain his HUGE TITS!

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

im sorry but i just cant stop laughing at this thread! you would have thought that tiger had been missing cuts left right and centre but thats just not the case! hes played in 5 stroke play tournaments and top 10'd in all of them with a win! people start pulling his game apart when he has gone 3 starts without a win, god hes doing awfully aint he!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Man, there were so many things to quote, I just didn't want to bother. How any of you can think Tiger is retarded enough to use steroids is beyond me. I agree with someone else in how I don't think they would even help you in golf.

Before I post please note I don't think Tiger is on steroids.

Steroids would help a golfer though, they don't just make you big as most people think. They aid recovery generally, so you would be able to train harder without feeling the effects. You would also be able to recover quicker from injury (so applicable even more in this case) and in some cases they can actually be prescribed by doctors for this purpose.

Before I post please note I don't think Tiger is on steroids.

That is exactly what steroids do. People have the misconception that the steroids themselves actually make your muscles grow which is not true. They just allow you to train much harder with much less recovery time.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not that it pertains to this thread, but I know a lot of guys who take or have taken steriods. It's quite common. It might not be up there with other recreational drug/marijuana use but it's a lot higher than people think. Also the older I get the more often I'm seeing guys (my peers) doing pain killers recreationally. All kinds of drug use is rampant today.

I don't think that Tiger is using, but the dude is jacked! I was watching some current highlights on the GC last night and he was looking impressively big in his golf shirts and street clothes. He's got some serious traps and tree trunk thighs. The results he's achieved are attainable for anyone, but a lot of guys use some form of PE/steroid/test as a means of jumpstarting the process. Test in and of itself doesn't make you big. What it does is put your body in a state where it can produce muscle given the right stimulous (exercise) and fuel (a good diet), and give you the mental motivation to hit the iron hard. The mental effect is just as important as any physiological benefits, especially as you age and your natural test production starts to wain.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Tiger has the best nutritionists and trainers in the world. If you have the right diet and the right program, you can get big naturally.

Bryan A

Does the PGA or USGA perform random drug testing of golfers?

Others have hit the nail on the head about steroid use - it aids in recovery and mental fatigue. It's not inconceivable to me that a golfer, when faced with the grind of trying to play 18 holes every day, and several hours of short game and putting practice each day, and a daily workout, might consider getting a "boost" from a drug. It's not going to make them "big," but it sure would help them perform those tough physical tasks each day.

All the arguments about why a golfer would not use steroids (he has an "image" to maintain, it won't help him hit the ball, etc) are the exact same arguments we used to make about baseball players. Just as our illusions about clean baseball players have been shattered, I would not be surprised to see a fair number of golfers "juicing."

In fact, I would bet that many sports we would not traditionally expect steroids to play a role, already have a steroid problem. Tennis, auto racing, basketball, etc. There is too much money and too much pressure to perform at the very highest levels, for some to not succumb to the temptation. Can I prove it? Of course not. Would I be surprised if it exists? I would be surprised if it didn't.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

There is a thread on this Tiger & Steroids thing already so I'll just copy and paste what I put in the other post...

Well, coming from a former steroid user (I cycled for a year in college)I can honestly say you'd probably have noticed a change in him and not over 10 years!!!!! He's not even huge. That's the funny thing. He's got mass, but he's far from HUGE. Barry Bonds is huge. Tiger is just ****in ripped ass. But back to my experience. I cycled it 2 months on 2 months off for a year straight and I gained 40 pounds of lean muscle mass. IN A YEAR! Which is unheard of clean. As for recovery times...I can honestly say that I don't notice a difference in recovery times between taking Parabolan (steriods) or taking creatine, beta-alanine and citrulline malinate which are all LEGAL supps. So I'd be willing to bet my house on the fact he didn't take steroids.

Steroid users: Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, Mark McGwire, Jose Can****o, etc...etc... all have 2 things in common. 1: it's a fact they all took steriods 2: They all gained extreme amounts of muscle and weight in a 1-2 year span. NOT 10 YEARS!

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

A lot of steroid users gain water weight that they consider to be muscle weight. When I was 18-23 I used steroids and I have done a lot of research on the topic and have my own experiences to go by. You can't gain the same amount naturally in the same amount of time obviously, because you can't work out as hard. That is the whole purpose of the stuff. The thing is that you can keep what you gain naturally unlike losing most of what you gained by coming off steroids. It is just wasted money. The way drug tests are...Tiger would be stupid to use. He is not that stupid....not to mention that fact that he has no reason to use. He already dominates the game like he is.

Of course the guy is bigger. He sat on his couch for 6-8 months doing nothing because of his leg. Anyone would gain weight in that situation. Then he starts lifting on top of the weight gain....

Bryan A

• Administrator
Enough with the steroids talk. Talk about him being "too muscular to swing a golf club" all you want, but enough of the drug chatter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Enough with the steroids talk. Talk about him being "too muscular to swing a golf club" all you want, but enough of the drug chatter.

Says the Lord....

Yeah guys, enough of this crap. I've had enough steroids talk being an avid SF Giants fan... All I can say is, thank God we didn't sign Manny..lol

US Open TV Commentator

I am trying to defend the guy....the steroid stuff is stupid.

Bryan A

I know it's a bit late but I thought I'd throw in my two cents...

The law of diminishing returns definitely applies to the benefits of muscle building in sports. When you lift to improve your performance, improving things like your strength, power, and stamina, it is only natural that you will put on some muscle. This muscle can be good since it'll add some pounds of quality weight to your frame while helping to diminish your body fat (since it increases your resting metabolic rate). Also, it aids in the mental aspect of things. If you're looking good you'll feel good.

However, too much muscle and you end up hurting your game. It happens a lot when guys get addicted to the vanity side of it all. They put on all this muscle and sure, they look good, but its all for show. It loses its functionality.

Now as far as Tiger is concerned. Yes he has definitely put on a lot of muscle. But is it too much? I would have to say no. He is still playing just as good as he ever was. And to reiterate another point someone else brought up, he is being trained by top professional trainers. They'll ensure he's in top physical condition for golf at all times.

On another note, I think in today's fitness world there is a huge emphasis on muscle building and that flexibility gets put on the back burner. That's because you can't see one's flexibility but you definitely can see someone's bulging biceps or ripped abs.

That's why I am huge fan of programs like Core Performance. They emphasize on sports specific strategies, not simply weight lifting. Because you have to ask yourself, are you a bodybuilder or are you a golfer.

My dad just bought me this one fitness mat too that I tried out today which is pretty cool. It had all the stretches on them already. I think it was called G2 Fitness mats or something... I can't find the link right now but i'll post it next chance i have.

The only way to be too muscular to swing a club is if you have so much muscle that you can't properly move your arms. Tiger isn't even close. Though, phil and his manboobs might be...

With muscle comes flexability, believe it or not. And the golf swing comes from "gearing". In 1st gear you can pull with much more force, but not quickly. In high gear you are using that same force, it is quicker, but still produces the same amount. Same thing with muscle fiber. You can do a slow controlled activity. Lets say that a boxer can bench 300 lbs slowly, but can also throw a lightning quick jab with that same muscle group.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Found it!

This is a standard yoga mat with some stretching exercises screen printed on it. At $45 on Amazon seems very over priced. A similar blank mat would be less than $20. The book below has "311 stretches for 41 sports" (including a golf section) for $13..

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Roll-...2661093&sr;=8-1 http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Stretch-...2661221&sr;=1-1 This book can be had for $6 http://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Streng...2661450&sr;=1-3 Of course, do you really even need a mat to do stretching/flexibility exercises? In which case you could end up spending only $6. Not trying to be a jerk, just my ingrained ultra-cheap side comming out.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

The only way to be too muscular to swing a club is if you have so much muscle that you can't properly move your arms. Tiger isn't even close. Though, phil and his manboobs might be...

An increase in muscle doesn't automatically lead to in increase in flexibility. You won't suddenly become as limber as an Olympian gymnast just because you put on 5 pounds of muscle.

As far as your gear analogy is concerned I'm assuming you're referring to strength and power. However, those two require different training techniques; an increase in strength doesn't automatically translate into an increase in power and vice versa. Extra unfunctional muscle can get in the way of athletic performance in other ways other than just having so much that you can't move your arms.
This is a standard yoga mat with some stretching exercises screen printed on it. At $45 on Amazon seems very over priced. A similar blank mat would be less than $20. The book below has "311 stretches for 41 sports" (including a golf section) for $13..

Haha no for sure, I hear where you're coming from. It may seem a bit pricey but after using it this weekend I have to say I'm glad I have one now. It's very sturdy but pretty light when I carried it out to the golf course. Also, I don't have to worry about bringing any extra papers or books to remember my stretches (since it's on the mat).

Also I think it's supposed to be really eco friendly or something since it's non toxic. Then again, my dad bought it for me :)

Note: This thread is 5600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!