IGNORED

My recent big "break through"

Hoovedawg
Note: This thread is 5482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive been playin for about a year and have always been a better ball striker than my handicap would indicate. When people ask my handicap they always think its 5-10 ish. Up until a few weeks ago it was hovering in the 18-22 range. I didn't really know what was causing this, other than my horrible putting.
So my big break through that shaved 6 or 7 strokes off of my handicap in a matter of weeks (and only 1 round a week) was focusing. I never realized how many shots I took without really paying attention. A lot of the time when I would hit a bad shot, I would step up to my next shot and just kinda swing and hope it went in the right direction. But now I make a point of having a reason and a goal for each shot. It has helped me dramatically and I would reccomend it to anyone who does not already do it. I have basically eliminated all of those chunks and bladed shots that come as a result of not focusing. Now if I could eliminate those 42 putt rounds I would be doin great.

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff
Halo 19 Degree Hybrid Stiff
BH-5 3-PW Stiff SV Tour 52 Degree Stiff Rac Chrome 56 Degree Stiff Scotty Cameron Oil Can Santa Fe 33" Burner

Kudos - it's great to have a big breakthrough like that. The focus is enormous... I mean look how much focus, visualization, and preparation the pros take before their shots.

Taking that extra time like you talked about on your full shots has worked for me around the greens. Normally, I duff a chip, and I'm immediately standing over the next shot and just swinging away. Smash a putt 4 feet by the hole, and I get flustered and rush myself to try and just finish the hole.

My last two rounds, I've paid special attention to re-mark my ball and check the line, especially on shorter putts I normally might rush. And hey - last two rounds have been 34 and 32 putts (solid improvement from before).

Good advice for sure. Sometimes I feel rushed playing as my playing partners play what they like to call "ready golf". I don't consider myself to be a slow player by any means but I do prefer to be deliberate.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

I agree that this is a big key too. I was in the same boat about 2 years ago. Last year I really started focusing on every shot no matter how small and it worked wonders. First I would figure out what kind of shot I was trying to hit and then take some practice swings that felt like they would get me that shot. Where it really helped was the putting green. My putting jumped leaps and bounds last year because of concentration and taking my time.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

spending most of my time on the range these days, i find the same thing is true there. I really gotta focus on each and every ball in that bucket. when i do, and not just slug away, I surprise myself.

Anyway, though, now that you've figured that out, make sure you can still get through a round in 15 min/hole average. :D

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is the exact reason I love golfing by myself. I can be very methodical about every single shot and I am still almost on the asses of the group in front of me. It is also extremely relaxing playing by yourself. I never thought relaxing and golf would ever go to together until I started golfing by myself.
In My Bag (upgrading soon hopefully)

Driver: TiSI 10°
Irons: ISI Black Dot 3-PW (minus lost 5i)
Putter G5i Piper JMAX Milled Wedge 52°Ball: Whatever I Can Find

It not even really a playin slow thing, it just more of having a purpose for every shot. I still play sub 3 hr rounds by myself and sub 3:30 rounds with other people. I dont take too much time i just visualize what i want, focus all my attention on doin it, then do it. Also this makes me less likely to have the "oh sh it i hope i dont chunk this ball 10 yards" swing thought, which tends to not help things.

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff
Halo 19 Degree Hybrid Stiff
BH-5 3-PW Stiff SV Tour 52 Degree Stiff Rac Chrome 56 Degree Stiff Scotty Cameron Oil Can Santa Fe 33" Burner

Note: This thread is 5482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!