IGNORED

Chipping with Hybrids.

Note: This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was messing around with this during last week on a practice green and I began to like the feel of it. I took it out to the course this weekend with great success! The ball comes off with a much more true roll with a hybrid than a iron, IMO. Just a nice short putting stroke feeds the ball right where you aim. For chips for 20 feet or more, I DO RECCOMMEND.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Just last night I was thinking about trying to chip with my hybrids.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I've used a 3 wood around the green long before Tiger made it fashionable and I like the hybrid even better. The only challenge for me was that the ball tends to come off hotter than either a putter or an iron and it took some getting used to. I still prefer an iron for most of my chipping, but in sticky rough, or when the ball is backed up against the collar, it works pretty well......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also use a hybrid when Iam chipping from just off green 2-3ft tops and from light rough.It is a nice way to chip from 20ft+

10.5 Adams Speedline
13    Adams GT Tight Lies 3wd

19    Adams GT Tight Lies 5wd
4-aw Taylormade R7 irons
56-60 Cleveland wedge

Odyssey 2 ball blade putter

I've used a 3 wood around the green long before Tiger made it fashionable and I like the hybrid even better. The only challenge for me was that the ball tends to come off hotter than either a putter or an iron and it took some getting used to. I still prefer an iron for most of my chipping, but in sticky rough, or when the ball is backed up against the collar, it works pretty well......

Yes it is a little tricky. But once i found the right rythm for the stroke it worked quite nicley. A shot I had to take with the ball up agaist a collar was exactly the situation that lead me to experiment with the hybrid around the green.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Yes it is a little tricky. But once i found the right rythm for the stroke it worked quite nicley. A shot I had to take with the ball up agaist a collar was exactly the situation that lead me to experiment with the hybrid around the green.

Had exactly the same problem last time i played and got up and down for par. my ball was up against some thick collar and i couldn't make a putting stroke.

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Had the same problem myself in leagues last tuesday...i pulled out a driver tho instead of the hybrid/3w idea...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I may as well try it, because right now I'm beginning to really dislike my hybrid and it's about to be removed from the bag. If I can find some use for it then maybe I'll keep it around a little longer.

Can't figure it out, but I loved my hybrid (19 deg) when I first bought it (Fall 07) but now I'm really struggling with it.

Had exactly the same problem last time i played and got up and down for par. my ball was up against some thick collar and i couldn't make a putting stroke.

The hybrid would go right though that. Or you can play a skull shot where you clip the eqautor of the ball with the leading edge of the club. The leading edge on my hybrid is pretty strait so i can play that one.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

I think a low lofted hybrid is an excellent choice for chipping around the green. While it does take some practice to get used to, what in golf doesn't?

I have had good luck chipping with a seven iron, as well. If the lie is good, I tend to reach for the seven iron. If the lie is in any way questionable, I have found the hybrid quite effective.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I chip with my hybrid at times too. Especially on those delicate downhill chips from the greenside fringe - really helps to get the ball rolling sooner and smoother than with a wedge (or a putter). Try not to get overzealous with the hybrid chipping idea though - pick the right situations that call for this kind of chip shot. It has come back to bite me at times.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!