IGNORED

What's your course length comfort zone?

Lloyd Braun
Note: This thread is 5454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would have said 6200-6300, but lately I've been playing 6475-6575 with no real problems. I would say 6700 is about the limit for my ability.

The one I played last weekend was 6500 from the back. Pretty open though so that helped. really didn't feel long

One of my favorite courses locally is 6620 from the tips and it's fun from back there but tough

While it depending on the terrain and course layout (as well as the weather conditions/course conditions), I usually like a course around 6300 yards down to about 5900. Yardages in that area are good 'scoring' yardages for me as I end up with a lot of short irons and wedges into greens. I am pretty comfortable up to about 6700+ yards, but do not score as well with long irons in my hands for approaches. Likewise, I often have trouble inside 5700 yards because it leaves me with some ackwards distances for approaches. I have played a few times at over 7000+ yards and have had some mixed results depending on my driving.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

6400 give or take a couple hundred is where I try to play. If the tips are 7000, I'll usually play one box up. If the tips are 6400, then I'll play from the tips. I'm not a particularly long hitter, so anything close to 7000 seems unnecessarily difficult for me and kind of loses that fun factor...

well, to revise what I said earlier about 6000 yards being my comfort zone. I say that because my home course is 6000 yards from where I play (tees right before tips.) Tips run about 6400 and its really no problem, but this thread is the comfort zone, and 6000 yards is my comfort zone for now.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

For me the Par 3's determine what tees I play off of, not the total course length. I don't like 200y par3's with 180y of water to carry. The game just gets too expensive that way.

Today I played a 6300y course which was fun, but left me with a lot of 8I-GW to the green. My regular course is 6600y from the blues, which feels a bit long, so i'd say 6450y should be about right.

Note: This thread is 5454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!