IGNORED

How do you keep score?

xringx
Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's satisfying for me in the larger sense as well. The other day I got into some serious trouble and made bad decisions on top of it, and carded a 10 on a par-4. However, I still shot an 89, which had me jumping up and down since I didn't think I had a chance of shooting in the 80's after that. But I kept calm and put a few more pars on the card that day.

It would have been all too easy to stop at 7 or 8, or take a mulligan, or some other breach. But I didn't, and I can say that the 89 was a real 89.

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been an interesting thread. I fully agree with both sides of the debate. Having said that, I have evolved (or perhaps devolved) into strictly following the rules of golf with certain exceptions .

First a little history, when I first started playing golf, I played with friends who adopted certain rules, e.g., one mulligan per nine holes, bumps are fine and anything in the leather is good. I did not play regularly, did not post a handicap, and the most we bet was the privilege of buying the first beer after the round. We all played by the same rules,we had a great time and I did not know any better.

I was surprised to learn a few yago that there was indeed an official set of rules that are strictly followed by many serious players. At first, I was surprised at how punishing these rules are. Having said that, playing strictly by the rules has greatly improved my play. I strictly play by the rules for every score I post as well as in any competition I play in.

When don't I play by the rules? When I am playing a casual round on a crowded course and I either lose a ball or hit one OB (where I have not hit a provisional.) I simply refuse to spend my full allotted time searching for a lost ball and then go back while the group behind me steams while I hit another. I don't post scores from rounds such as these and I would never declare these scores in any sort of competition unless all participants agreed in advance to the same set of rules. In these cases, for my own scorecard, I drop a ball and count the stroke and distance. For example, if it was my teeshot, I would count my next shot as hitting 4. Again, I don't post these scores at all, this is simply my personal measure as to how I was playing that day.

I might suggest that some of the more the casual players here check out the official rules for sortagolf. I think sortagolf is sorta close enough to golf to be called "golf," sorta. The rules can be found here:

http://sortagolf.manilasites.com/revised7

I count every last little 3 wiggle! I play a lot of tournament golf so its just become a habit to count every stroke that the rules of golf specify. like said before it means a lot more when you finally beat your best score knowing you didn't take any short cuts.

It depends on who I'm playing with and what were playing (for money, tourny etc)

If I'm just out with my buddies we flex rules a lot, some times we will play putter length for putts.

Shanked drives or un-hittable balls we usually just drop in the realitive area and dont take a stroke.

If I'm playing for money or what have you I'm very strict. I count every thing.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I have been trying this year to play close to the rules and not take any mulligans or things like that. Like others have mentioned I will move my ball if on gravle against a rock etc.. to protect my equipment and I will sometimes play a OB as a lateral hazzard so I don't hold up play going back to the tee if I don't hit a provisional ball. Other than that I have been really trying to follow the rules. Expecially as my daughter has started playing with me and I am trying to teach her how to play.

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

Always count all of my strokes. If it goes completely OB, re-hit with a 2 stroke penalty. If it goes into a lateral hazard, 1 stroke penalty, and drop from where the ball when entered the hazard.

In my book if you don't count all of your lost balls, you are cheating.

Always count all of my strokes. If it goes completely OB, re-hit with a 2 stroke penalty. If it goes into a lateral hazard, 1 stroke penalty, and drop from where the ball when entered the hazard.

Technically speaking, the O.B. thing is not a "2 stroke penalty" as I hear a lot of people say. It is a stroke and distance penalty. Meaning, after your first shot went O.B., you are now hitting your 2nd shot from the same place as your first and simply adding one stroke to that.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

If you're starting out, the #1 rule is to be honest and record every stroke. You will develop a greater respect for what it takes to shoot lower scores and will be able to accurately judge your scoring level.

A good way to record stats for a beginner without overloading yourself with too many irrelevant details early on is to record 4 things:

1. Score - record it like +1, -, -1, +3, etc. It makes it easier to add up at the end

2. Full Swings - record the count of full swings that you took. If you took a penalty stroke from a lost ball, record that here.

3. Short Game - record the number of strokes you took in the short game (I include putts from the fringe)

4. Putts - The number of putts (not including from the fringe, if you counted those as short game strokes)

That way you can break your game into 3 areas that you can work on. You can build confidence in one area and be struggling in another. This helps your overall confidence level and helps you put your game in perspective. Currently, I am doing well in the short-game, extremely well at putting, and poorly at ball-striking. So I know exactly what to work on when I go to the range.

Improving any of the 3 areas will improve your score. Anything more complicated than the above will likely just add unneeded confusion, which is the last thing you want at this point.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

i personally have no problem with people taking gimmes and stuff like that cause these people at least around here don't have handicaps or play tourney golf if it's not hurting your abilities to play golf the don't worry about it

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

I am amazed at some of the posts here. No wonder it takes 5 hours to play a round. People are hitting the same shot two or three times. Yikes! That holds people up, whether they're in your group or behind you. No "re-loading". Hit your shot. Take any penalty. Count your strokes. Play by the rules. It's much more satisfying when you end up scoring low.

BTW-if you hit one out of bounds, that's 1. Put another ball in play, that's 2. Hit it, that's 3.

I play to the rules as best as i know them. I admit that I haven't really studied the rulebook, but I play everything down and take my penalties. I haven't gotten in a situation yet where I have been stumped by the rules.

I don't really care how others score themselves. As long as they aren't comparing their score to mine.

I am amazed at some of the posts here. No wonder it takes 5 hours to play a round. People are hitting the same shot two or three times. Yikes! That holds people up, whether they're in your group or behind you. No "re-loading".

Even though I may hit a chip shot or an iron shot many times, I dont recall ever holding someone up. In fact I seem to be a fast player as I usually have at least 1 group let me play through, even though I am hitting many balls......

My biggest worry is me holding people up, that why I think I play to fast and should slow down...

Whats in my Ozone stand bag

Driver: SQ Sumo² Square 10.5°
3 wood : SQ Sumo² 15°
Irons : AP2 3-PWWedge: RAC 52°Wedge: Vokey Oil Can 58°Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo

If your tee-shot is OB/lost and you do not hit a provisional off your tee-shot, is taking a 2 stroke penalty where you lose the ball frowned upon?

ALso, I had a situation on a par 3 when I hit what I thought was a good shot, the ball hit the green and I lost track of it afterwards. I thought it was all good, maybe rolled off the green and to the fringe at worst. However, when I got to the green, I could not find the ball at all. There was a hazard behind the green and I am thinking maybe the ball bounced hard off the green and fell back there and I could not find it.

What do I do?

At the time, I dropped the ball in front of the hazard behind the green and chipped on with a 1 stroke penalty but I am thinking I didn't play that right. What should I have done? (There were no hazards from tee to green)
What's in my Bag
Driver R7 9.5 Stiff
3 Wood R7 Stiff
Irons R7 TP Stiff 3-PW
Wedge Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56, 60Putter Studio Select Newport 2.0Ball NXT

If I'm keeping score, I'll play by the rules. Period.

But I don't always keep score when I play. I'll go out to the course and try situational shots that I'm working on. Hit 2 or 3 balls at a time until I get it right. Basically practicing, only on the course and not on the range/chipping green/putting green.

Obviously I do this when the course isn't crowded, which is usually the case on weeknights after work

But when I'm gearing up for a tournament, I try my best to simulate that situation and play every shot like it means everything. Play little mind games with myself to add pressure and that includes putting everything out, hitting provisionals, taking penalty strokes etc. Otherwise, what's the point of keeping score? In the end you're only lying to yourself.

Driver: Nakashima HTEC 440cc 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki X73
3 Wood: 909F3 15* w/Fujikura Pro-95 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Nakashima 2 iron 19* w/ KBS Tour shaft 6.5
Irons 3-PW: 690.MB w/ KBS Tour Shafts 6.5
Wedges: Black Nickel Spin Milled 56.11* & 60.04* w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel Wedge ShaftsPutter: Pro...

If your tee-shot is OB/lost and you do not hit a provisional off your tee-shot, is taking a 2 stroke penalty where you lose the ball frowned upon?

The strict rule is that you go back to where you initially hit it and hit a new ball and take a 1-stroke penalty.

My friends and I don't play that way though, it's just too time consuming.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I must admit, as I'm playing more I'm seeing more and more meaning in my scores and stats. The last few times out I haven't been allowing myself mulligans and actually assessing myself penalty strokes. And it feels much better when I post a score because I know it's honest and I know that lowering it represents real improvement.

Two days ago I posted an honest 45 on the local par 3, my best score by 3 shots, even ignoring a couple of mulligans and non-penalties I took on the previous "best" score. Yesterday I posted a 46, which would have been a 40 had I simply allowed myself two mulligans from the tee boxes. It just makes me want to get that 40 the "right" way that much more.

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

I must admit, as I'm playing more I'm seeing more and more meaning in my scores and stats. The last few times out I haven't been allowing myself mulligans and actually assessing myself penalty strokes. And it feels much better when I post a score because I know it's honest and I know that lowering it represents real improvement.

That's awesome!

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Once you start really caring about what you score, those one or two mulligans you allowed yourself before become a big deal. How many strokes did those mulligans actually save you? It makes it pretty much impossible to track your actual progress over the course of the season.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!