IGNORED

I Now Know What Hell Feels Like

The Gill
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got my new X-Forged 09 irons, and the only grass range in town closed early for maintenance! I have 3 options:

1. Hit them off mats
  2. Fire my box of Srixons off into the local greenbelt
  3. Wallow in self pity and finish my tequila and Squirt...

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

get your booze on.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I hate mats with a passion... but it's better than nothing (if the other ranges wont be open soon)! They won't hurt your clubs. Yes, it'll leave green stuff, but it comes off with a little elbow grease.

Go to another town or just go hit off the mats. Wont hurt anything really.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

drink up and enjoy the anticipation one more day - imagine all the shots you'll be able to hit with them while holding them in your hands in your house -

whenever I get a new club that is the best part of the relationship I have... that sweet anticpation -

once I start playing with them, the relationship becomes much more complicated

In the bag:
Driver - FT-9 10* Stock Stiff Fujikura
3Wood - X 3W Stock Stiff Callaway Graphite Shaft
Hybrids - X Hybrids 21*, 24*, 27* uniflex steel shaft
Irons - X-22 irons 6-PW uniflex steel shaftWedges - X Forged Chrome Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*Putter - White Hot XG #9Ball - Tour ix or TP...

Drive to range but take the bucket and fire those old balls into "the local greenbelt." I know my range could use a few balls from this decade and I would be doing them a favor

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

Drive to range but take the bucket and fire those old balls into "the local greenbelt." I know my range could use a few balls from this decade and I would be doing them a favor

Ha. No doubt. Those hard old things would leave ball marks in the trees!

drink up and enjoy the anticipation one more day - imagine all the shots you'll be able to hit with them while holding them in your hands in your house -

The squids are feeling good now! [Squirt] + [Tequila] = Squid = Delicious I have a tee time at a 4700 yard executive course tomorrow @ 3:00. I'm leaving the boom sticks at home. Only irons. We see how the relationship is this time tomorrow!

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Booze sounds about right

Though whenever I get new sticks, I like to hit a course first before a range anyway. Kind of a tradition for me

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

FYI... the mats will bend your forged irons over a period of time. Where I am, finding grass to hit from is difficult so I just check my lie angle a couple of times a year.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Just throw some water down on the mat, and you'll be fine. Hitting the long irons off of the mat probably isnt much different than hitting them off of a grass surface, anyway.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Hitting the long irons off of the mat probably isnt much different than hitting them off of a grass surface, anyway.

There are a lot of people that disagree with this 100% - I'm one of them.

Personally (as a high handicap) I think the mats let me get away with WAY too much. You can hit an inch behind the ball and still get a decent ball-flight off a mat since the bounce just runs the club face up to the ball. No dice on grass, that same shot one inch behind the ball will punish you and give no illusions of a good strike. People talk about how you "should be able to feel that wouldn't have been a good shot" but once again as a higher handicap playing for a year I feel I need visual and physical feedback that will be accurate to on-course situations. Maybe it's not so bad for better ball-strikers...
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

There are a lot of people that disagree with this 100% - I'm one of them.

Thats one way to look at it i guess. But Ive never found too much of a problem with it because im hitting the ball first, anyway. Back when i was begining, id use to try to knock off a penny an inch or so in front of the ball to make sure i was hitting the ball right.

But when ive had to, ive found hitting the longer clubs off of mats could be better practice (fairway woods in particular) because the lie is much tighter than you will ever see on a golf course. I get out on a course from practicing on a mat and hitting a long iron from the fairway almost seems like its teed up.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

ive found hitting the longer clubs off of mats could be better practice (fairway woods in particular) because the lie is much tighter than you will ever see on a golf course. I get out on a course from practicing on a mat and hitting a long iron from the fairway almost seems like its teed up.

Good point with the longer clubs - I can see this helping with fairway woods...

In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!