IGNORED

Finally shot 59!!!

PiKapp23
Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...and 'no' not the good 59.

Sunday I played a reasonable difficult course and shot a 79 without playing great, but managed to score OK. Last night (Tuesday), playing 9 holes with my normal group I managed to shoot 59 for 9 holes (on a course that is easier than the one I played Sunday). I would have to say it was the worst I have played in at least 6-7 years. I have been struggling with my new driver since old one broke and last night the problem really reared it's ugly head. I hit 1 fairway in regulation and zero greens. Putting wasn't really an issue as I only had 16 putts. Drivers were either slices into trees or smothered. Almost all of my iron shots were either thin, shanked or 2 clubs short. On back-to-back holes (one of which was a par 3) I took 10's. Sadly, if it weren't for my shortgame I would have shot probably closer to 65+. I had one par on a par 5 that was a result of bad sliced drive into wrong fairway, short 2H through the trees into rough (but at least on correct hole) and badly short 8 iron before pitching to 6 inches from about 40 yards. I was so depressed I told my buddies I was done - quitting the game. Of course, I'm not going to do that, but I've never made that statement before and I meant it. Earlier this year I shot a 73 and followed that round with with a 96 for next round. Gotta love this $@
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

We all have those days. I was playing a money game on Monday with the regulars at my club. Shot a 36 but only hit 2 fairways and 2 greens but only had 11 putts with a chip in on the first hole. Wound up with 1 eagle, 2 birdies, 3 pars, 2 bogies and 1 double. Scrambling / putting is the name of the game when your ball striking has gone south. The reverse happened on Saturday. Hit 6 greens, 5 fairways but could sink a putt, no matter the length. Had a much better game tee to green but shot a 43 (lots of 3 putts and some bonehead mistakes).

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I know how this feels...I shot a 41 on a really tough country club course, then the next day we had a home match on a pretty easy nine hole track (i usually shoot in the high 30's low 40's on this course)...and I shot a 50...worst part was it was in a high school match. Hit 3 O.B...pretty fun.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

So many people are confused as to how I have gone from a scratch golfer to barely being able to break 90. I still very rarely mishit the ball and keep myself in great shape. Of course I play about 1/10th of the number of rounds I used to, but always assumed that an 8-10 handicap was about the worst I could ever be, just based on knowledge of the game and the swing alone! Well, I was wrong!

My big numbers come from 1 issue, the driver! The best short game in the world cannot overcome hitting 5 off the tee, or punching out from trees all day. Your post decscribes my last 10 years of golf! I simply cannot hit driver consistently and I refuse to bag it. Huge slices or snap hooks, its really hard to understand.

I would have someone look at your swing soon and try to get it corrected before you end up in a fight like mine.

You guys are making me feel a whole lot better about that 101 I put up yesterday. Two weeks ago I shot a 39 and thought my game was really coming together. Since then it's been mostly bogey. Then yesterday I shot 53 and 48. Couldn't hit the ball to save my life. Today I went to the range to try to figure some things out and, lo and behold, whatever was wrong with my swing yesterday seems to have fixed itself. I struck the ball better than ever. Go figure.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I'm not really sure that your particular problem isn't so particular. It seems to be the story of every golfer alive or what ever activity someone is involved in. I shoot competitively and it's the same there. Hit everything fast and smooth one day and for crap the next. Look at Tiger with his driver lately.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

I feel your pain and all I can say is "that's golf". I'm a 12 handicap who broke 80 for the first time this January. The next 2 times out I shot 96,97 and then played in a tournament 2 weeks later and shot a 101! I was so frustrated I could spit.

The next month everything returned back to "normal" and I'm back to shooting in the 80's.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

I shot a 72 over 9 holes a couple of weeks ago, and then ate and had a beer, played another 9 (its a 9 hole course), and shot a 44.

Its as much luck as it is skill. On the 72, i hit a fairway, nailed the only rock in the place, which sent it 60 yards straight right into the drink. I was ready to smash my driver.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I've played the crappiest golf of my life the last two tournaments. The day before the tournament and on the range inbetween I'm playing the best I ever have. I hate this sport...

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At least you guys make me feel better. I've always been a pretty consistent player at whatever handicap I've been but the last 6-9 months I have posted some of my all-time best scores then followed those up with really bad scores. Oh well - it's just a game.

Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

At least you guys make me feel better. I've always been a pretty consistent player at whatever handicap I've been but the last 6-9 months I have posted some of my all-time best scores then followed those up with really bad scores. Oh well - it's just a game.

This game reminds me of a roller coaster at Kings Island.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...and 'no' not the good 59.

Sounds like you need to work on your mental game?

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I usually hit my 59th shot somewhere on hole #12.

I'm actually somewhat consistant in my 9 hole scores. Today I went 49/41/90 and that's my biggest spread of the year by two shots.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Because I know so many of you are concerned about the state of my game and are probably losing sleep over it I thought I would give the 1 week later update. I played this previous Sunday and shot 95 on a pretty difficult course. I wasn't good at all, but was much better than the 9 the previous Tuesday (that was the 59). This Tuesday I played quite a bit better, shooting a 40 (+4). While my I didn't hit many fairways (only 1) I didn't miss a single drive by more than 15 feet or so and most were within a few feet and left me with good approach shots. I definitly felt more confident with both driver and irons. I'm not ready to declare that I'm back yet, but I really feel better about my game. Hopefully you all will be able to sleep in peace now. Thanks for your prayers.

Last night (Monday) I was bored so I went to Golf Galaxy and found the launch monitor turned on in back bay. I hit over 100 balls with 2 drivers (one identical to mine) and figured out what I was doing by checking out the monitor stats. I was able to go from bad slice to little draw (my preferred shot) or at worst a small fade. Now I want a launch monitor to take to the range with me. I really found it helpful (much better than simulator which lies a lot).

Note: This thread is 5483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!