IGNORED

How do you get back spin

Note: This thread is 6509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Backspin:
Have your grooves clean
Strike the ball cleanly on the face.
Hit with a descending blow (You can promote this by starting with some of your weight on your left side, not necessary though)
Have the ball a bit more back in your stance

If you scoop the ball or hit it with your weight hanging back you won't get the spin you need to back up the ball.

I don't really try to back the ball up but rather like it to stay where it lands when approaching with a full wedge.

Side note: If you can spin your ball on a short shot you'll impress your buddies. All the same principles apply for spin on the short ones. The risk is that you will shoot past on the short shot if you don't get the spin. BUT if you do it'll be impressive.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

all i do is my my downswing steeper which causes me to hit down into the ball producing more spin that usual
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

The key factor is to hit "down" on the ball. The easiest way I found to do this, is when you're standing at address to the ball, keep your eyes focused right in front of the ball (Acting is if the ball is one ball length closer to your left foot if you're a right handed player). This has helped me really put some bite on the ball as it forces you to really hit down on it.

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 - Diamana Blue 65 Shaft
3-Wood: 906 F4 15.5 - Graphite Design YS-6+ Shaft
5-Wood: 906 F4 18.5 - Diamana Blue 75 Shaft
Irons: Rac TP CB Irons; 5.0 Flighted Rifle Shafts, 1 degree flat.
Wedges: Rac TP Black 52:08; 56:12Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - 35"B...

Alot has to do with the type of ball that you use. If your using top-flites dont expect that ball to back up like you see on television. A good three piece ball or a four piece ball (they are more expensive) will back up better then a two piece ball.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

A simple swing key is when addressing the ball for that Pitching Wedge (or any Iron) in to the green is: instead of looking at the back of the ball look at the FRONT of the ball and aim for that. This will naturally produce a more descending blow and give it that little bit of a pinch to create some spin. Don't swing any harder, it's not necessary. This also helps to reduce those fat clunkers.

You are playing in Texas right! If you are playing public courses with bermuda greens in the heat they are not going to hold shots unless you hit it pretty high with a soft ball and some spin. We have similar conditions except usually bent greens. Look in golf magazine online or golf channel and they will have tips on how to hit punches with spin if it is windy.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

(looking at the front of the ball) I don't feel this works very well for people who are right eye dominant playing right handed. It tends to encourage a slide to the left for those people. I think it works well for left eye dominant individuals. I feel the moving the ball back in your stance and trying to aggressively relase the club works better for right eye dominant golfers.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Maybe it's just something I naturally picked up on. I am right handed but left-eye dominant. I find if I slide too much to the left my hands try to overcompensate and a trapped pull hook results. But there is all kinds of advice on how to get that skip-stop action that I like, and what ever works is what's best. Experimentation and practice is probably the best advice. Or, you could just take the Dremel to the grooves and really do some work on the ball!

hit down on the shot with a steep descending blow, if you take a nice correct divot the shot will spin like crazy... just a tip, I bought a "Club Doctor" took which is essentially a groove resharpener (tgw, 10bucks)... be careful as it can produce too much spin and kill some distance but clean up those groove and be confident... you'll spin the ball

but remember if you are a public course player as am I its hard to spin greens... if I play private courses I spin maybe 4-5 holes in a round with nice almost pro backspin, the maintanence of a course makes a huge difference

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Can someone please tell me how to put back spin on the ball. Ive had to many shots that land on the green and roll to the other side.

If the greens are burned out - you won't get too much spin on them anyway...

Let me tell you a story I heard from my club president (an older gentleman): In the 60's he played with Arnold Palmer in a Pro-Am event. On a 180 Par-3 Arnie hit a laser 7 iron, which hoped over the pin and spun back to a tap-in range. The guy yelled out " Wow, Mr. Palmer, what a shot !!! Maybe you could teach ME how to spin the ball like that?" Arnold : "ok, but tell me - how long do you hit your 7 iron ? " Guy: " about 155 yards Sir " Arnie: "so why the heck would you want it to spin back for ?!?!?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually can't spin the ball back on anything lofted lower than 56*. I do get enough spin though to stop the ball within a yard of where it lands on most other shots, which makes me happy. I find when I really need to spin a shot in order to get it to stop, I really relax (to ensure a higher SS) and concentrate on really hitting down on the ball.

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

the main part of being able to back the ball up is what ball you are using, your club/grooves, but mostly its the course, cuz i never get backspin on my home course (municipal) but i get back spin all the time in my junior events which are played at nice places

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

Note: This thread is 6509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!