IGNORED

Gnats!

jfwund
Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, the muni where I play has a huge population of gnats. I've got the strongest DEET I could find (something for hunters, don't remember the name), but that hasn't worked. Last time I played, my neck was literally covered in dead gnats by the end, and when I took off my hat, quite a few more fell out...

Is there anything you can recommend to keep the gnats away? I'm playing again this afternoon, so I'm up for trying something new.

Thanks!

I just use the strongest bug repllant I can find (currently it's Off Back Woods or something along those lines) and spray a little on the inside bill of my hat, the back of my neck and the back of my knees. This seems to work most of the time, but sometimes I actually have to put some on my face. I don't really care that much about the gnats except when they are in my face. I guess that's the Midwest for you...
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Gnats don't bother me much except when I play in south Alabama in the summer. Those darn things are always trying to eat your brain matter through your ears with or without bug spray. I think the gnat is the state bird of Alabama. I digress...

I just keep Deep Woods Off with Deet in my bag mainly to keep the skeeters away and it seems to help.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fresh garlic. Eat it don't rub it on you. Cook with it that is. Garlic is some nasty strong stuff (tastes good though). I've sliced up fresh garlic before for a side dish and smelled it on my hands for two weeks afterward! I used to play a lot with my grampa and when the gnats would be bothering me they'd leave him alone and he said it was garlic. You could also take the not bathing for days route. That always worked when I'd go on week long fishing/camping trips. That may not be socially acceptable though, but truth be told the gralic bit might not be much better?

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I am also almost always eaten alive by gnats and/or mosquitos on the golf course. The only solution I've been able to come up with is to play the windiest courses around, that way the bugs can't float in clouds on the tee boxes.

Other than that, I haven't been able to find a good repellant that keeps them away. I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate the garlic trick, or else I'd try that. Then again, it would protect me from vampires........
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

• 2 years later...

Interesting....I never really considered them an issue.  My only issue is when driving along and penetrating a cloud of them.......and they get in your eyes/nose/mouth...LOL

Otherwise, they seem to leave me alone...

Is this just me?

Many years ago, I had a membership at a club that had serious mosquito's!!  ........bug spray was a staple in every players bag.  Since that course, I've never needed bug spray once on a golf course.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Dead gnats don't bite.  DEET is doing it's job.  Those it can't repel end up deceased.

Repellent basics for those who are interested:

DEET (>25%) is the most effective insect repellent that can be applied to skin. If you're sweating, DEET may need to be re-applied at the turn.   Don't try to spray it directly on hard to reach places like the back of the neck, behind the ears, etc.  Spray it in your hands and wipe it directly on those areas.  DEET can be sprayed on clothes and is probably effective to some degree but it's designed to be applied to skin for maximum effectiveness.  Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before repellent.

There is another repellent that I recommend to those who live in regions where Lyme and other tick-borne disease are common and insist on entering areas of waist high sage grass or brushy areas to look for errant golf balls.  It's called permethrin  which also known by different brand names such as Permanone.  Permethrin can ONLY be applied to clothes but is very effective at keeping bugs (ticks) from crawling into places where you don't want them.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I know this is an old thread but I found this stuff at REI with 98.11% DEET. The label basically says it'll kill you, but it's absolutely amazing against mosquitoes/fleas/gnats/ticks.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Depending on how desperate you are for protection try Sawyers Jungle Juice it works wonders with ALL bugs but it's 98% DEET. Your other option could be carrying or attaching a device to your bag I use Thermacell for my deck and it also works very well. Also I agree with using permethrin for ticks when I first moved to MD I played a course that had ticks everywhere I put some on my shorts and shoes never had a problem. Also DEET isn't going harm you unless you are putting 100% DEET bug spray on more than the directed use which would probably lead to skin and eye irritation. I worked with EPA and FDA the biggest fear for DEET actually has nothing to do with DEET people always confuse DEET and DDT. Now DDT is some ugly stuff but it might make a limited return because of it's success rate with bed bugs.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Walmart has some stuff in the Camping Section in sporting goods called something like Eucalyptus juice or oil.

It work really well for me in the South Louisiana marsh while fishing.  Not expensive and not bad smelling.

Also, from Victoria Secrets you can get....aw crap, I just forgot the name of it....but if you go in and tell them you want the stuff to keeps mosquitos and gnats away....

Just remembered--Amber Romance..

Roy

Depending on how desperate you are for protection try Sawyers Jungle Juice it works wonders with ALL bugs but it's 98% DEET. Your other option could be carrying or attaching a device to your bag I use Thermacell for my deck and it also works very well. Also I agree with using permethrin for ticks when I first moved to MD I played a course that had ticks everywhere I put some on my shorts and shoes never had a problem. Also DEET isn't going harm you unless you are putting 100% DEET bug spray on more than the directed use which would probably lead to skin and eye irritation. I worked with EPA and FDA the biggest fear for DEET actually has nothing to do with DEET people always confuse DEET and DDT. Now DDT is some ugly stuff but it might make a limited return because of it's success rate with bed bugs.

Yeah, that's the stuff I was talking about. And confusing DDT with DEET.... that would not be good. :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm usually left alone by the bugs as well and you would think I'd be eaten alive with all the cologne and sprays and shower stuff my fiance buys me lol. Also, ticks and stuff like that are not really a worry for me as I'm never looking for lost balls. Unless I'm waiting on a group in front of me and I'll occasionally peek in the weeds. Unless it's a Pro V - Let it be! lol

Originally Posted by jamo

Yeah, that's the stuff I was talking about.

And confusing DDT with DEET.... that would not be good.

You would be shocked by the amount of stuff that EPA gets about using DEET in bug spray. Probably 75% of that stuff has reasons or studies attached that are for DDT not DEET plus the EPA just reevaluated DEET not long ago.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!