IGNORED

"Sir Nick" ....... !!

Chas
Note: This thread is 5418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The latest from Buck House:

Faldo will be given a knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II on Saturday for his services to golf, the only athlete to be given one of Britain's highest honors on the monarch's birthday list this year.

"I was delighted to hear the news that I will be receiving a knighthood and am more than a little bit humbled to have been afforded this great honor," Faldo said. "It has come as a real surprise, and the reaction from my children, family and friends has made this a very special moment for me."

Faldo, only the second professional golfer to receive a knighthood following Sir Henry Cotton in 1988, won his first professional title in 1977 and added 46 more wins worldwide _ including three Masters and three British Opens.

The 51-year-old golfer has since made a series of entrepreneurial moves, designing golf courses all over the world and working as a television commentator. He captained the European Ryder Cup team that lost to the United States at Valhalla last year.

Bravo to you Sir Nick! (a.k.a. Faldo-o'-the-Links).

hmmm, here's hoping he doesn't somehow misjudge the Royal approach tomorrow. 'We' would not be amused .... Actually I'm sure he'll do splendidly. And of course he well deserves the honour. Sir Henry would approve I'm sure.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

oh no - another reason to dislike Nick!

another reason for Jim Nantz to wet himself when he talks to him too. SIGH! At least i don't have to listen to him (them) next week at Bethpage - good old Sky Sports for US Open.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Great for Faldo, I'm sure he earned it. The ultimate grinder. I too don't appreciate his phoney personality and chumminess--don't really like his golf course designs either.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

now i dont really like faldo but ive gotta say the guy deserved it!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

If I remember correctly, two or three others got knighted this year who had previously attempted to kill James Bond.

Good for Nick just the same.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nick muchly deserved this, especially when compared to achievements of those who have already been knighted :\

I still wonder why he has only just been knighted, he earned this honour a long time ago.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I still wonder why he has only just been knighted, he earned this honour a long time ago.

How?

By being probably the most despised golfer of his generation by his peers? The fact that he won a bunch of majors? The fact that he reinvented himself as a commentator and talks about himself all the time? Yes, he was supportive of Norman on that fateful day, but why does he "deserve" a knighthood?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

How?

You have to compare his achievements to that of others who have been knighted... Dame Kelly Holmes for example was awarded the honour for winning two golf medals in the Olympics. He won 6 majors throughout his career, making him the most successful Brit ever. He was despised as he showed a winners attitude, he couldn't care less what people thought of him as long as he won. He does a LOT of work with Juniors in England, the Faldo series helps up and coming young juniors experience tournament golf, one to one coaching from Faldo and provides the stepping stone to the next level. Faldo is very deserving of this honour and should have received it a long time ago, whether you like him or not (Even though you don't know him) has nothing to do with it.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Well said Jay. But don't expect most people here to understand what Faldo represents to the golf-loving Brit, who had very little to celebrate for so long (decades ....) until he came along.

I used to follow the game fairly closely (didn't play much back then tho') in the 60s and 70s on your side of the pond and, let's face it, british golf was about as competitive as british tennis was at the time - sigh . Tony Jacklin was competitive off-and-on for a relatively brief period and did wonders for the Ryder Cup but he didn't have Nick's mental toughness and killer instinct - not even close. Mostly I remember the disappointments.

Nick gave british golf what it was looking for: someone you could confidently support over the years, someone who you knew could really handle the pressure situations on Sunday. Tony always seemed a bit, well, fragile to me, much as I admired his style.

Jay: "He was despised as he showed a winners attitude, he couldn't care less what people thought of him as long as he won." Exactly so. And despised largely by people who didn't have a clue what competitive golf was really all about. The idiots in their blazers sipping sherry after the round, don't you know. Of course many of them have changed their tune now.

As to Faldo's personality, I've read that he was a bit of a loner as a youth and I think he seemed a bit distant to some in the early days - that and his fiercely competitive nature (how un-British of him ... ) didn't endear him I suppose. Well IMO he was just what the doctor ordered for the Anglo game - altogether too many really nice chaps who didn't win a sausage. It's a pity the Faldo-equivalent never materialized in tennis.

Personally I like his dry humor and his quirky candor - he isn't the sort of hale-fellow-well-met type you tend to associate with the game. I'm sure it would be most amusing, and highly revealing, to spend an evening at the local pub with the guy.

A richly deserved honor for you Nick, from a most grateful nation. Thank you Sir for all you've done for this the venerable British game.

*throws down palm leaves *

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

It's a pity the Faldo-equivalent never materialized in tennis.

I know its early days but does Andy Murray not count?

Ok off topic that one so back on track I agree Nick Deserves it. To the people who suggested he didn't deserve it, interestingly I notice none of them are British, what do you think qualifies someone to deserve a knighthood then?

Well done, well deserved.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

Hi all. Yes he's definitely deserved the award. He was up there with the best in his time.

There does appear to be a bit dislike for the chap, which sometimes you get with a focused winner. I'm sure there are lots of people that don't like Tiger Woods for the same reason. Both were/are prone to moods. We should try a poll on who is the most hated golfer of all time. Anyone willing to have a go?

Note: This thread is 5418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!