IGNORED

Chokes...

Iowa Hawkeye
Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had 5 looks at birdie this morning, all within 15 feet and only made one. One was an eagle pitch that rimmed off as it passed the hole. Any tips on how to step up and drain that putt?

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Loosen up, and be confident.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Put pressure on yourself when you practice putting so you're used to it on the course. Something like that Mickelson drill a lot of people talk about when you have to sink all the balls around the hole before you can stop.

I think part of it is not being that good, I don't have chances that often so when I do, I'm thinking "Oh God, Birdie, Don't mess up."

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I think part of it is not being that good, I don't have chances that often so when I do, I'm thinking "Oh God, Birdie, Don't mess up."

That's why you need to create that same pressure in another situation. If you need to sink 20 putts in a row on the practice green it'll be, "Oh God, 18th putt, don't mess up", so you get a taste of what it's like when it's a birdie putt that needs to be made.

What's been helping me with those putts is to take a little bit longer to line them up and set up for them.

Take an extra moment to double-check your read, then take a practice swing and watch the imaginary ball roll right into the cup. Then, step up and make a CONFIDENT putt. I've made more than one putt outside of my usual range just by simply convincing myself that I am going to drop the putt.

TaylorMade Tour Burner 08 9.5
Adams Tight Lies Strong 3
Titleist DCI962 3-PW
Vokey 52, 56, 60
Ping Anser 50th Anniversary

What do you have to mess up if you within 15 feet? Step up and put a good stroke on it - committ to your line and speed - and BE CONFIDENT.

If you strike a good putt, what's the worst that's going to happen 99% of the time? You're probably going to have a tap-in for par...doesn't sound to bad to me!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I wouldnt beat yourself up there man, some days they all fall in, some days none go in, just gotta take the rough with the smooth!

TITLEIST 909 D2 10.5* VOODOO STIFF FLEX
TAYLORMADE R9 TP 3 WOOD STIFF FLEX
COBRA BAFFLER PRO 19* STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST 695MB 3-PW STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST VOKEY BLACK NICKEL 52*TITLEIST VOKEY SPIN MILLED 56.10 & 60.04SCOTTY CAMERON 2.6 NEWPORT PUTTERCALLAWAY TOUR IX GOLF BALLTAYLORMADE R7 TP TOUR BAGC...

Had 5 looks at birdie this morning, all within 15 feet and only made one.

Story. of. my. life.

Welcome to my world...we have membership cards and jackets.
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

I wouldn't worry too much about it... it could've just been an off-day putting.

But, do you typically make the same types of putts when they are for par? I know there can be a bit of a psychological barrier there... the trick is treating a birdie putt the same one for bogie. I find myself with the opposite mindset - I seem to be more relaxed when the putt is for bird, because I'm still making par even if I miss. I seem to tense up when I have a tricky par save, because a big number flashes into my head.

Man, putting is so mental! Trying to forget about the score and relax is so hard to do, but that's the name of the game.

That really isn't all that bad, how often do you make 15 ft putts? Some days its just your putting and has nothing to do with if its a birdie or not.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I would highly recommend Zen Golf (book). I've been posting quite a bit lately about it, but it is a good read and has good things in it for clearing your mind and focusing on executing putts, shots, etc. Whether for eagle, birdie, bogey or other, you want to focus in picturing the ball rolling to the hole and in the cup.

No, you don't have to convert to Buddhism.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!