IGNORED

I'm a Phil convert

Shorty
Note: This thread is 5440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's what's so wierd about it to me - it seems like the Tiger haters usually dont show him a lot of respect and act like his accomplishments dont mean a thing.

I agree. I won't say Tiger is the greatest ever because I think it's IMPOSSIBLE to judge and compare ERA to ERA in golf. The courses have changed. The clubs have changed...A LOT. And most importantly, the golf balls go so much further then they did when Jack played. One thing I will say is I'd have to say based on what I've read/discussed with many who grew up watching guys like Jack, and Arnold Palmer play, etc. etc. Tiger is the greatest putter ever.

But, obviously Tiger is "arguably" the greatest of all time, and certainly the greatest of our era, hands down. Anyone who doesn't believe that is simply ignorant or doesn't know golf. As for him breaking Jack's major record - I don't care if he does it or doesn't. Wouldn't bother me either way. It'd be interesting to see, like you said, but I don't particularly care much. I'd say I like Phil more but Tiger is obviously the better golfer, as well all know.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Here are couple of articles

is that what you base your hatred for Phil Mickelson on? A couple of bloggers blogs? I'd personally take the tournament volunteers words, the spectators words who have seen him sign EVERY autograph until everybody has gotten one, etc. those are all first-hand experiences with Phil. the " behind-closed-doors " crap is just rumors without a shred of evidence to them. and you've never heard of Phil joking around with others? heres an article for you: http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/de...lf,158269&cp;=2

I love to watch Tiger but I always go for Phil

Weapons in my Texas Tech golf bag

FT3 Fusion Driver Aldila NV shaft
junk.. irons
Cobra wedges White Steel Putter lots of beer

I was just watching my dvd of the 2006 Ryder Cup. On the first day of play Phil came over and gave Darren Clarke a big hug because he had just lost his wife to breast cancer. It is so poignant to watch that now. Phil and Amy are a classy couple, I really don't know about Tiger and Elin but they seem very private and guard their family life. Which is great.

and you've never heard of Phil joking around with others? heres an article for you:

Not your finest moment - you just referenced an article between two guys that have a total of 3 friends, combined, on tour.

• Administrator
Phil isn't well liked among his peers. Vijay is adored by his peers. Tiger is liked (admittedly among a smaller circle - the others don't really seem to have an opinion good or bad). I've seen each of those things first-hand, and I've heard it from people I trust (who have seen it first-hand... first-eye?).

I don't dislike Phil. But I don't like him, either. I don't really like or dislike the vast majority of PGA Tour pros, because I'm aware of the fact that I don't know them very well at all. The few I've known a little bit I've got opinions on. One I'll share is that I really like Steve Flesch.

I know it's probably going to be misunderstood, but I'm a fan of good golf. When Phil's playing well I enjoy watching him hit the ball. The rest I couldn't care less about. I feel for him and his family, but no more so than I would for my neighbor, cousin, or some couple I've never really met.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not your finest moment - you just referenced an article between two guys that have a total of 3 friends, combined, on tour.

are you on the tour or something? do you have firsthand knowledge of who likes who on tour? or do you just go by what the bloggers write? i mean, maybe you do know something firsthand? if not, i wouldn't believe everything i read online. Phil seems like a nice guy from what Ive seen & read. until i see differently, i wont judge him

I won't say Tiger is the greatest ever because I think it's IMPOSSIBLE to judge and compare ERA to ERA in golf. The courses have changed. The clubs have changed...A LOT. And most importantly, the golf balls go so much further then they did when Jack played.

Man, you hit the nail on the head there. It happens in all sports, and it drives me nuts. I cant stand when people try to compare MJ to Kobe/LeBron, or LDT (LaDanian Tomlinson, cant call him LT, there is only one true LT) to Jim Brown or any other great RB of the past. Statistics are hard facts that cant be denied, but there's much more to it, like you said. Things like clubs, nutrition, strength training, etc. have made all the sports we love much different than what they were in the past. And how do you judge the competiton from then to now? Once again, almost foolish to even try. Glad I'm not the only person that thinks this way.

I'd say I like Phil more but Tiger is obviously the better golfer, as well all know.

To me, yeah, Tiger is better, but I dont think that's strictly based on their levels of talent. I think talent-wise, the difference between the two is incredibly miniscule. It's the mental aspect that makes Tiger that much better. Of course, Tiger's behavior when he's "zoned in" is the source of a lot of people's complaints. The thing is, to get to the level that athletes like TW and MJ perform at, I think it's pretty much necessary to be that way.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

with all due respect to the man himself I really dislike Phil Mickelson. He tends to play the blame game a lot and chokes periodically more than he should. Granted he did start taking more time for his game by losing weight and gaining muscle, but he's still the same Phil. I contribute his success this past week for actually having an honest reason to not perform well. He needs to focus on being himself and not live in the shadow of Tiger. It must be tough having the propaganda of the media always comparing him to tiger and pinning them against each other. At first it was great for the game, but it's old news now. There's a great player in Phil I'd just wish he'd work harder to bring him out and really start to shine

As someone who has always liked Phil, I can assure that type of behavior from him is not new. Unfortunately though, neither is his habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in major championships. It's getting a little sad in that he's now becoming a sympathetic figure.

It is interesting that the US Open so often squashes the risk taker and rewards the conservative plodder. Here are some examples: Hogan (plodder) vs. Snead (who never did win this Championship); Casper (plodder) vs. Palmer at Olympic; Irwin (plodder---3 times a winner); Geoff Ogilvy (plodder) vs. Phil and Tiger at Winged Foot. However, do not give up on Phil, the risk taker. Arnie did win one US Open (1960 at Cherry Hills); Payne Stewart won two (including that memorable win 10 years ago at Pinehurst #2); Tiger has won three. So, unlike Slammin' Sammy Snead, it may yet be true of Phil The Thrill that the door will open if you just keep knocking on it. It would be nice if he would win at least one of our National Championships.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

People take sides in all sports.Ali had Frasier-Red Sox -Yanks--Giants -Redskins MJ-Ewing Islanders-Oilers in the 80's Rangers -Islanders.Of course we had Nicklaus Palmer before that Snead Hogan if there is no good guy and bad guy we have no sport and nobody comes to the party.If you think Phill is a phoney good for you as you are entitled to your opinion.If you think Tiger is to arogant good for you at least it shows you are watching and that is good for the game and will help it grow in the future.As for me I like Phill and dislike Tiger my opinion and it is based on my observations and feelings no first hand anything.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Well said, flap. As for me, I enjoy watching them both. Tiger because he's such an unbeatable machine when he's on, and Phil because he seems to have a good attitude out there. No reason you can't like 'em both, it's just golf on TV after all...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Well said, flap. As for me, I enjoy watching them both. Tiger because he's such an unbeatable machine when he's on, and Phil because he seems to have a good attitude out there. No reason you can't like 'em both, it's just golf on TV after all...

I agree with you----I enjoy watching both. When Hogan and Snead were battling, I was drawn to watching Slammin' Sammy because of his fluid swing and hillbilly ways (like Boo Weakley). However, I also marveled at Hogan's consistency and focus. People who like a particular golfer like to take that loyalty to "heart" and view criticism of their hero as a personal insult. Hey, people, this is only sports after all. This is not military combat with an enemy who wants to annihilate us or blow up the Twin Towers. That is worth arguing with passion. Sports is not worth that type of attention. "It is only a game" after all.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Note: This thread is 5440 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!