IGNORED

New member at the club is a +1....

clubchamp
Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I disagree that this guy is a "hollywood" handicapper or reverse sandbagger.
Just dont buy it.

I see a lot of guys at my club constantly bashing someone if they dont play to their cap. Most of them are just jealous...

My opinion is that the guy was probably tweaking with his swing and probably shot more like 85 than 90, but when you're expecting to see 68...well, you know what they say about "High Expectations.."

On the flip side, I know a lot of "reverse" baggers, but this usually happens around the 9-12 cap range because sometimes when one becomes a "single" digit, they feel they have to stay there...

I know some 12-14 caps that wont take anything over a double on a par3 even when they can take a 7. I never ask them to play in any money matches because of it. For a +1 to be a reverse bagger, I dont buy it.

Ask him to play again and see if he shoots the same. If you play another round or two with him, then you'll know the truth.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that this guy is a "hollywood" handicapper or reverse sandbagger.

Then why did he post a 68? That is the definition of a reverse guy. I agree it is hard to turn in bad scores but that is why I went from an 8 to an 11 but then you get waxed when you play for money.

I don't care what kind of swing changes you are going through at that skill level, you are still going to find a way to break 80. And aren't those the people you want to play in a money match? If they don't turn in the right score that is lower than they should, that is a huge advantage to someone who keeps an accurate GHIN number.

Brian

If you're really nervous out there, chances are you're going to get killed the first time playing a course. I carried a mid 3 handicap last summer and went out to play a course I'd never played before with a guy I work with that liked to run his mouth a little bit. I wanted to go out there and kick everyone's teeth in and ended up shooting an 85, and luckily no clubs were broken during the round.

The next time out, I came out without the attitude and anxiety and put up a 74 (and waxed my co-worker, more importantly).

The only thing that would bother me is the fact that he tried to turn in a highly inaccurate card - that should put up some red flags.

I agree I could be way off about this guy and maybe he was trying something that made him shoot 22 strokes over his handicap. If thats the case why go into the club house and enter a 68.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Is it possible he just had a horrible round? How was his swing?

I don't think that's the case here, but I certainly know what you are talking about.

I used to have a client who was scratch. Everytime we played, I would have a better score on the front 9, because he'd be tinkering with his swing, but then on the back he'd shoot lights out. For example, the last time we played, I go out in 39, he in 44. He then announces he's ready to play a match, gives me 4 strokes and proceeds to come home in 33 while I shoot 40.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Then why did he post a 68? That is the definition of a reverse guy. I agree it is hard to turn in bad scores but that is why I went from an 8 to an 11 but then you get waxed when you play for money.

I think you misunderstood me. I would never ask them to play on MY TEAM in a tournament. I love playing against them...

I disagree, a +1 can shoot 80+. I played with a 0.5 cap that shot an 81 last week then came out the next day and shot 69. I shot an 88 as a 4 cap and wanted to break my clubs, and the next day shot 72.

My thing is this... throughout the entire round of him being awful you'd at least think that he would show some kind of skill to justify that handicap. He hit his driver about 190 to 210, chunked his irons, bladed or flubbed his chips, and actually he was ok at putting
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I think you misunderstood me. I would never ask them to play on MY TEAM in a tournament. I love playing against them...

I understand what your saying above. I agree over 80 is possible, guys on tour do it all the time. 81 is one thing, 90 something seems highly unlikely.

Golf is stupid game. At times, I look like I am a real player, others I look like I have no idea what I am doing.

Brian

My thing is this... throughout the entire round of him being awful you'd at least think that he would show some kind of skill to justify that handicap. He hit his driver about 190 to 210, chunked his irons, bladed or flubbed his chips, and actually he was ok at putting

I believe you. If you put me in a foursome with a scratch golfer, a 10 hcp, and a 20 hcp and they all shot an 85, I could tell you with nearly 100% certainty which was which. A scratch or better golfer simply has a smoothness and consistency about them, even when they're playing relatively poorly that you just can't miss. I could shoot a 74 but if I did, no one who's ever played with really good golfers would ever mistake me for a + hcp who's simply having an off day.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Regardless of where the truth lies, I thought it was a funny story, and can certainly think of some vanity 'cappers' myself.

I'm sure people thought I was one of those when I was a teenager. My dad was one of those guys who thought more of his sons abilities then maybe was the case. People would always come up to me and say things like "I hear your a hell of a golfer" which was overshooting a bit.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I was going to say, maybe the new course was more of a practice round for this guy and he was checking distance with clubs over hazards etc. BUT you say he chunked shots? I dont even chunk shots(maybe once a round)!

A guy i work with asked me if i wanted to golf with him the other day and i asked him what he shoots. He told me high 80s or low 90s. When we got to the course i found out he was lieing on the first hole. He ended up shooting a 121 and it was a VERY long day. I dont understand why people lie.

In my Ogio Budlight Bag
Taylormade R11 Driver | Big Bertha Diablo 3W | Tight Lies 5W & 7W |
Big Bertha Diablo 24 degree hybrid | Slingshot 4D 5-PW, AW Irons | SV Tour 56* wedge |
Detour Newport 2 | Noodle Ball | Golf Logix GPS

but did he play with the ability to shoot 90? maybe a REAL BAD DAY

I count every stroke even up 10...was he scoring that high?

I havent shot over 110 in 12+ months.

I was keeping track of a score a little on the front 9 and he shot 50 and on the back i wasn't paying quite as much attention but it was slightly better

Yeah I played it 2 years ago and it was nice but I didn't think it was worth the penny they were charging. I played Lighthouse Sound in OC a month ago and the guy there told me Bulle Rock is going to be turned into a development.

Holy @#@# It is steep. Development would be a shocker but they are building between the range and 1st hole. 1.2million looking over the course. I cant see the rest of the course being removed completely but who knows?

i played there 2 weeks ago and was forced to play black with my 4some. shot a 103.
Its a hard course.

I played the blue and shot a 78 but the blacks would be tough. If you ever get down to OCMD try to play Lighthouse Sound its a really nice course.

Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!