IGNORED

Golf GPS units? Suggestions?

Note: This thread is 5163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From sky caddie web site

Requirements
PC with Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista (32- or 64-bit)
Mac OS 10.4.0 or greater
256 MB of RAM (512 MB of RAM is recommended)
4 MB of available hard disk space
USB 1.1 or 2.0 port
High speed Internet Access
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher (PC)
Safari 3.1 or later (Mac)

In my Bag

4LM 12 Degree

AP1 5-G Rosa putter

From sky caddie web site

Thanks man! Where did you find that, I was looking all over for it, is that for all the models or only certain ones. The one I can get is the sg2

Thanks! Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I think it's for all models. As I understand it, the caddiesync software is what needs to work with Mac's, not necessarily the unit itself. Either way, I'm sure the 2.5 and 5 do, and I wouldn't even think about buying an SG3 or SG4, because of all the problems they've had. I'm actually looking at a used SG2 right now. The only one that is even in question is the SG1, it may not work with Mac's, but that's not a popular model at all. You might as well go pick up an igolf neo if you're looking at the SG1.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

My vote is for the bushnell neo. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I love it.

Another Neo fan here. Great price, no annual dues, and no frills. The size is great, so you can have it always in your pocket. Alos battery life is much longer than most gps - around 16 hours before you need to charge.

To be honest I donuse mine on every shot as I play the same course most of the time and knwo my way around, but what I find very useful with it is when I am in the woods or on anotehr fairway I can get a yardage rather than guessing. This is one area where a gps wins over a laser everytime.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

used SG2 for 100
New bushnell neo for 129 shipped

You guys go with the neo??

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

I have the Upro and it is awesome... no annual fee, free basic view and then you can pay for the Pro view which gets you overhead shots.
Driver FT9 with FUBUKI
Woods CB2 3 7
Irons MP67 irons
Wedges 52, 56
Putter 2 Ball Black SeriesBall PRO V1 Upro

Yea really let me know about that! I was gonna sell my iphone 2g and pick up a blackberry just for this. My iphone doesnt have GPS but the Curve does....

Hope it works nicely!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

used SG2 for 100

I went with the neo, yes you can buy a used SG2 for cheaper, but then you still have to pay the annual fee or lose your maps. I love owning my maps, I have nearly every place I plan on playing in the next few years and still have 50+ maps to download out of the 100 I get. Since I don't travel a lot, I will likely not have to pay another subscription, when it gets close to expiring, I'm just going to download any course I might like to play some day, although by the time I can travel I'll probably have upgraded to something newer.

Josh

Callaway uPro's for $299 now with the $100 rebate.
I have a neo currently, but taking a serious look at the uPro.

G10 9* Proforce V2 HL S
G10 15.5* TFC 129 S
G10 21*, 24* TFC 129 S Hybrids
MP-57 5-PW DG S300
52* MP-R 56*.11, 60*.7 SM Vokey Newport Detour 2.5 Tour Ix, PRO V1x

I tried the Golf Logix app for my Tour today and all I can say is wow. Yardages were right on, and the ease of use is great. Yardages were checked with Bushnell laser and were right on. For less than $40 a year, I would absolutely recommend this if you already own a Blackberry or Iphone.

• 6 months later...
Alright, so I'm in the same boat as the OP as well now. Been looking at GPS units and am between the Bushnell Neo for $100 off amazon or getting the Skycaddie SG5. I've found the SG5 for around $265 on ebay or amazon but I've noticed they are coming out with the new SGX (I think thats the name of it) in a couple weeks. I'm wondering, do you guys think I'll be able to find an SG5 for much cheaper, say around $200, once the new model comes out?

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

I know that Sky Caddie takes a beating because of their subscription price, but to me it was worth it. I have the SG3, and many people were complaining about it as well, never had trouble with it though. I also have a mac, so maybe that keeps the device in line ! Anyway Lots to chose from, but remember that you want it to do one thing... give yardages. I know that Sky Caddie walks the courses, thus i trusted their numbers and made the purchase worth it to me... Now i just need to figure out how to "map my course" so i can get distances while i am on the range, if there is one that does "range distances" let me know!

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

I've really enjoyed the Golflogics app for my iPhone.

Very helpful, handy, fast and highly accurate.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I tried the Golf Logix app for my Tour today and all I can say is wow. Yardages were right on, and the ease of use is great. Yardages were checked with Bushnell laser and were right on. For less than $40 a year, I would absolutely recommend this if you already own a Blackberry or Iphone.

I agree completely. Really enjoyed the iPhone version.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Did the free trial of Golflogics for my iPhone awhile back and was not impressed. Thing froze on me at about the 10th or 11th hole and I compared it with a friend in my group who had another gps and it was off by about 10 yards. That, added with how it drains the phone battery was enough for me to scrap the app (ha, that rhymed). I look at my phone enough anyway, when I'm on the course thats the last thing I want to be dealing with, plus it drains the battery like no other. Seperate device for me for sure, now to find a good deal!

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

If you have a pocketpc or similar phone with GPS, I suggest this:
http://www.freecaddie.com/

It is free or very cheap. No yearly fees or any of that BS. You can quickly and easily create ANY course easily using google maps thru that site. I created most of them in my area.

I have used it for a couple of years, and the ONLY downfall is the battery on most phones won't last much more than a round of golf.

Ron

Note: This thread is 5163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!